AR-15 Kaboom

Would you say it's more likely that an AR15 will blow up than, say, a Ruger Mini-14? Just wondering if the AR15 is known for problems of this sort (although this article stated that they put the wrong gunpowder in a cartridge in this case).

hminsky said:
Would you say it's more likely that an AR15 will blow up than, say, a Ruger Mini-14? Just wondering if the AR15 is known for problems of this sort (although this article stated that they put the wrong gunpowder in a cartridge in this case).

The article I read said the 4 kabooms they had were from barrel obstructions.
A review of this incident showed that four other M16-A2 rifles had been similarly damaged during the two-week training. One rifle had a bullet and cleaning-rod section lodged in the bore, while the other four were probably fired with sand in their bores. The mishap rifle had a bullet lodged in its barrel, and since the shrapnel from this weapon contributed to the injury, it was set aside for the investigation.

I don't reload handgun stuff...........so, there's one positive thing; no pistol powders close by to be confused with.
I do think I'll take a closer look at all my bolt carriers when I have 'em apart for cleaning, though.
I don't like surprises.
CJC

Back
Top Bottom