• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 Pre Ban 30 Round Magazines Laws

rwfishman

NES Member
A friend of mine recently finished their Basic Hunter’s Safety Course and a representative of the EPO that stopped by said that it is legal to own a 30 round preban magazine in Massachusetts, but it is not legal to place that magazine in a new post ban AR-15 and shoot with it (you can only shoot with it in a preban AR-15).

Is it legal for me to use a preban 30 round magazine in a new AR when at my range and just not for hunting? This is very odd. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true and what the actual laws are? Thanks.

A friend of mine recently finished their Basic Hunter’s Safety Course and a representative of the EPO that stopped by said that it is legal to own a 30 round preban magazine in Massachusetts, but it is not legal to place that magazine in a new post ban AR-15 and shoot with it (you can only shoot with it in a preban AR-15).

Is it legal for me to use a preban 30 round magazine in a new AR when at my range and just not for hunting? This is very odd. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true and what the actual laws are? Thanks.

This is a myth, and I wish I knew with whom this myth originated so I could kick them in the shins.

There is no law that forbids you from using your pre-ban magazine in a post-ban gun. You will not find a law that specifically allows it because laws are proscriptive, not prescriptive.

I heard the same story & am again blown away by the lack of knowledge of these laws. Makes you wonder how many of us get bagged over some misunderstanding of the law then have to deal with all the bs...
At my local range i once had to explain the difference between a muzzle brake & a flash hider to an off duty leo cuz i think he was about to call in an on duty buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The worst part is now everyone who took that course has been told by someone who is supposedly knowledgeable about MA's gun laws that using pre-ban mags in a post-ban gun is illegal. They will then go on to spread this misinformation to their friends, and like a virus it will spread. People will avoid buying pre-ban mags because they think it's illegal to use them in their post-ban guns, and so they will be limited to 10 round mags.

The worst part is now everyone who took that course has been told by someone who is supposedly knowledgeable about MA's gun laws that using pre-ban mags in a post-ban gun is illegal. They will then go on to spread this misinformation to their friends, and like a virus it will spread. People will avoid buying pre-ban mags because they think it's illegal to use them in their post-ban guns, and so they will be limited to 10 round mags.

Yup,

My EPO and DFW "instructors" told our Hunter Ed class of 42 (1/2 of whom were relying on this cert to get their LTC) the following WRONG gems:

- Illegal to put 2 guns in a gun case,
- If transporting guns in a soft case you must use trigger locks,
- You MUST transport ammo separate from the guns (in a different container) and suggested the glove box for ammo (anyone who has ever been a LEO can tell you why this is a BAD, BAD idea even though legal)

Len, I'm guessing that you did not "call out" the EPO, but did you ask for cites, or question them after the class to see where they were getting their non-facts?

Neither. I pretty much just buried my head in my hands and decided not to say anything (nobody knew me from a hole in the wall) or ask any hunting law questions as I knew they were incompetent to answer correctly. I did however call Glidden about it shortly afterwards. I now have the head legal-beagle at DFW's contact info but never followed up on it.

When the EPO introduced himself he told us that they sent him but he was not a hunter or a gun guy. Sadly our DFW instructors are hunters and showed that they were clueless on MA gun laws.

I was blown away with the difference in the quality of Hunter Ed training when I walked into BR&P last year as Claudia Stewart was teaching it. I walked in to get some coffee and ended up watching that class for ~10 minutes and had a chat with Claudia (whom I had never met or heard of before) for another 10 minutes as she ran a video for her class. She's an awesome instructor, really knows her stuff and I hope and expect that she'll be back at BR&P to teach the class again this year. Her info is here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...e-NRA-Certified-Firearms-Instructor-available

Did the EPO(?) call out ARs specifically or was he more general speaking of firearms (incl. handguns)?

The upside of the downside (misinformed gun owners, spreading misinformation) is that maybe all those guys out there with jacked up prices on PBMs will have to drop their prices to move inventory . . . . I can dream can't I? Getting a 20 round mag for my M1A under $45 isn't that far a reach, is it?

Its a shame people are spreading false rumers. Imagine this false rumer catching on with police? Then we will all be screwed.

true story:
when I went for my LTC course, just months ago, the instructor told us the same lie! At that time I didn't know better. He told the entire class of about 30 people that you CANNOT use pre ban hi cap mags in ANY gun that is new/post ban, example Glock, etc.

He said pre ban mags can only be used with pre ban guns.

no one questioned him. Again this was very recent.

Last edited:
Its a shame people are spreading false rumers. Imagine this false rumer catching on with police? Then we will all be screwed.

true story:
when I went for my LTC course, just months ago, the instructor told us the same lie! At that time I didn't know better. He told the entire class of about 30 people that you CANNOT use pre ban hi cap mags in ANY gun that is new/post ban, example Glock, etc.

He said pre ban mags can only be used with pre ban guns.

no one questioned him. Again this was very recent.

Yes, most instructors are ignorant of the laws that they teach students.

Back
Top Bottom