AR-15 red dot zero, short range?

I'm planning to shoot at the New Bedford USPSA rifle match at the end of this month, and I just put a TruGlo red dot on my AR-15. It's a 40mm tube with a 5 MOA dot, no irons on this rifle.

What distance should I zero the red dot at for this close quarters style of shooting?

I used a laser bore sighter, and the red dot sight seems to be about an inch low at 50 feet.

ETA: 18" WOA barrel 1/7 twist, and I'll be shooting American Eagle 55 grain AR-223
Thanks!

Last edited:
I would probably zero at 25 or 50 yards. I'm leaving my 1-4 scope zeroed at 50. I have to hold a little high on close upper A/B targets, but otherwise hold dead on out past 200. There won't be anything far at this match, but I like to keep things consistent.

If you zero at 25 yards you'll be POA/POI at 25 yards, an inch low at 12 1/2 yards and 2" low point blank (most AR's are right around a 2" sight offset).

If you zero at 50 yards you'll be an inch low at 25 yards, 1 1/2 at 12 1/2 yards, and 2" low point blank.

So boys and girls with a 25 yard zero your POI will vary 2" from point blank to 25 yards.

If you use a 50 yard zero your POI will vary 1" from point blank to 25 yards.

These numbers aren't perfect but close enough for rock-n-roll so pick your poison!

The less hold over/under I have to do, the better. This is my first rifle match so I want it to be as easy as possible to get quality hits, haha.

Thanks again for all the info, very much appreciated.

Out of curiosity: why the switch?

Consistency between rifles. I found when I was shooting Open div. rifle. I used the 45* mounted red dot for much further shots then I thought I would. But with such a close zero (10 yards) I had to hold low for the longer shots. So now everything will be zero'ed at 50 yards and since I use a 7moa dot, it will still be inside the dot at 25 yards

Consistency between rifles. I found when I was shooting Open div. rifle. I used the 45* mounted red dot for much further shots then I thought I would. But with such a close zero (10 yards) I had to hold low for the longer shots. So now everything will be zero'ed at 50 yards and since I use a 7moa dot, it will still be inside the dot at 25 yards

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom