AR 15 Scope Suggestions

Garys

NES Member
My son just bought an AR 15 from another shooter. Carbine length. My daughter in law is looking for a scope to buy him for Father's Day. Her price range is about $100.00 and she asked me for suggestions. I really don't have any and wonder if anyone here has any ideas. He's not looking to do any long range shooting, say 100 yards max.

Also look at NcStar 3-9x42 scopes (under $130 on Amazon prime). I got one for my first AR and like how it's compact and has the quick release on it. You can also get it with different reticles, to fit what he would like.

Almost the same as what jron posted... I just wanted more magnification due to older eyes and such. I would like it more if there was a more positive indicator when you're at a power (a click into place). Still, not a bad scope for the money.

Thanks. And I owe you a PM, which I haven't forgotten.

Also look at NcStar 3-9x42 scopes (under $130 on Amazon prime). I got one for my first AR and like how it's compact and has the quick release on it. You can also get it with different reticles, to fit what he would like.

Almost the same as what jron posted... I just wanted more magnification due to older eyes and such. I would like it more if there was a more positive indicator when you're at a power (a click into place). Still, not a bad scope for the money.

Great scope but you should get the Nikon mounts designed for it as it is difficult to get the eye relief with many mounts designed for more magnification. I am sure other mounts could work but I had issues with position. The p223 mounts are perfect though.

For around $150, the Nikon P-223 3x32 BDC Carbine Rifle Scope.

smitty

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yea, if she wants to get him a good all around carbine optic, doesn't want to spend a bunch of $ and he doesn't need a bunch of magnification then the Nikon P-223 3x32 BDC Carbine scope is the way to go.

smitty

If you are considering a red dot instead of a standard style rifle scope with reticle, check out the Primary Arms red dot. Mine with the mount came in a little under $100 and I really like it, for what it is, a cheaper red dot. I did a bunch of research and the consensus was that of the cheaper red dots (not a costly Aimpoint) the Primary Arms was a good one. Obviously it's not an Eotech or Aimpoint but decent for plinking. YMMV

Primary Arms M3 Style Red Dot - Primary Arms M3

Thanks. My son sent me a message this morning that he was looking at the scope. Looking at Amazon the M-223 mount is right in her price range. Knowing him, he'll buy the scope himself, he has no patience. I suggested that she get the mount for him.

Yea, if she wants to get him a good all around carbine optic, doesn't want to spend a bunch of $ and he doesn't need a bunch of magnification then the Nikon P-223 3x32 BDC Carbine scope is the way to go.

smitty

Glad I saw this thread. I want a scope for my AR's, and I don't really want to spend $400 on an Aimpoint or EOTech.

The Nikon is a good scope??

My two cents here. My father always told me to buy the best tool. If you try and save money and buy something cheaper to save money it will break or not be what you want and you will end up buying the more expensive one anyway hence spending more if you just bought want you wanted originally. If you have an ar15 I would go for an aim point red dot or a trijon. I know not the cheapest but great optics. Mil spec and durable. I personally don't like scopes with magnification because its hard to pick up targets that are close to you. Eotech is great too. Those optics will turn that rifle into on mean mo-fo.

Buy a primary arms red dot if you don't have the money for a more expensive piece of glass. Either that or get him ammo or some magpul accessories. If this is his first AR let him work on using iron sights. In the long run it will make him a better shooter.

I picked up a Lucid HD7 from another member yesterday and will hopefully be testing it out tomorrow. Only about $240 and I have read decent reviews for the money.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

He's been looking at the Nikon P223 scope, so my DIL might have to buy him something else. I have a line on some 20 round magazines that I can't use because they aren't pre ban, but that he can use. She might end up giving him them or maybe a mount for his scope if he doesn't buy one before fathers day. Ammunition is always a good present, if you can find any. She is pretty supportive of his shooting and will probably start shooting again herself once the baby is born. She really liked shooting my S&W Mdl 18, but as much as I like her, I'm not giving that one to her. :)

Back
Top Bottom