• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR .22 LR conversion

The Nordic Components dedicated 22 upper is finally back in stock at Midway. This is the 16”. The shorter one has been in stock for a while.

It's been out of stock for at least 4 months.

Last edited:
The Nordic Components dedicated 22 upper is finally back in stock at Midway. This is the 16”. The shorter one has been in stock for a while.

It's been out of stock for at least 4 months.
I loved mine until I sold it and got the 9.25" upper - that thing is a blast to shoot.

Several vendors have the 16 inch in stock on gundeals

Isn’t velocity pretty low out of the 9.25”?

I’m doing it mainly to mimic a 556 build so wanted the barrel length to match.
I dunno possibly? I shoot inside of 120 yards and its plenty accurate for me. I mainly shoot at my rimfire dueling tree at ~30 yards and my 8 inch steel at 60 yards. It's very lightweight and handy which I love. I have a 10.5" 5.56 upper so it's relatively close to that. The 16 inch Nordic essentially has a bull barrel so it's fairly heavy.

So, a quick review of a Compass Lake 22lr upper kit.
Shot some 50 yard targets outdoors yesterday. Mostly offhand, but laid down and shot 10 prone and was pleasantly surprised. 10 shots, 50 yards, prone, sling-supported (no bench), 4.5X scope, Wolf Match Target.
Shots stringing out to the right are a result of me being rusty at prone shooting over the Winter (bad NPA).
20230414_185726.jpg

Slightly off-topic but I need some guidance.

Are AR-15 .22rimfire BCGs standardized across brands?

I misplaced the bolt (and charging handle) that goes to my Spike's Tactical .22LR upper so it's out of commission (down for parts) now. Can other bolts, say for example, a CMMG bolt work?

I plan on calling Spike's but the last time I had a question about these products they were less than helpful because they ceased making them years ago.

Thanks for any help you an give me.

Slightly off-topic but I need some guidance.

Are AR-15 .22rimfire BCGs standardized across brands?

I misplaced the bolt (and charging handle) that goes to my Spike's Tactical .22LR upper so it's out of commission (down for parts) now. Can other bolts, say for example, a CMMG bolt work?

I plan on calling Spike's but the last time I had a question about these products they were less than helpful because they ceased making them years ago.

Thanks for any help you an give me.
No, there are a few different systems. None will work with each other.

I contacted Spike's Tactical and this time had more luck. I spoke with a gentleman who was familiar with the Spike's .22 ST uppers who told me that Spike's used the Ciener .22 bolt group.

But the bad news (which he may not have known) is that Ciener seems to have retired from making his products and is just selling off inventory. and they do not seem to have any bolt groups left. Jonathan Arthur Ciener, Inc. Gun Conversions

I have had good luck with my 1990s purchased Colt AR-15 22 LR Conversion Kit for plinking. It works on all my AR15s. If you can find one these kits and magazines they are pricey but they work. FYI price tags on the mags are early 90s prices.

Attachments

• 20230420_194015.jpg
    20230420_194015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have had good luck with my 1990s purchased Colt AR-15 22 LR Conversion Kit for plinking. It works on all my AR15s. If you can find one these kits and magazines they are pricey but they work. FYI price tags on the mags are early 90s prices.

Unfortunately I don't think that system will work in my rifle. The ST22 is a dedicated .22 upper and does not have a chamber made for a .223/5.56 round.

GOOD NEWS!

I found my lost (misplaced) bolt group! As I feared, it was hiding in plain sight. For some unknown reason (probably had both uppers out at the same time) I had put it in a clear plastic bag with the bolt and recoil springs mechanism for my BRN-180 upper. Most likely I was cleaning up and the ST 22 bolt group kind of blends in with those pieces (natural camoflage).

Not sure where Iput the charging handle but those are easy to replace.

Been using one of these for years in a rock river A2 upper for plinking, only issue ive ever had is that it doesnt cycle as reliably with standard velocity ammunition, it really prefers high velocity

1682077693239.png

Back
Top Bottom