• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR 22lr Pistol - what is my best option???

r3volv3r

NES Member
I have an POF Rebel 22lr. It is a proprietary 22lr (AR style) pistol that is not on the 'Approved Firearms List'

1. Is it legal in MA?

2. if not, how do I make it legal?
- Register it as a Rifle (extend barrel/pin stock). can I do this if it's technically a pistol?
- SBR it?

If I cant do either 1 or 2 I'll just sell it to an FFL that can sell it out of state.

Not legal in MA assuming you're just a LTC holder not a 07 FFL holder.

I'd suggest removing your ad in the classifieds...

As sold by the manufacturer it is an assault weapon in MA. So no, it is not legal for you to own. It would be lawful as a SBR with a fixed stock and with the muzzle device pinned/welded. I cannot tell looking at the pictures if the device that it comes with is ok or would need to be replaced. Getting possession of it as an SBR (you cannot possess before that) is possible but convoluted. Steps are

1. Order and have sent to an FFL #1 who "gets it"
  2. FFL #1 manufacturers it from a Pistol into a receiver
  3. FFL #1 transfers the receiver to FFL #2
  4. FFL #2 transfers receiver to you on a 4473
  5. You apply for tax stamp (form 1)
  6. You engrave receiver (name, town, state)
  7. You put stock on the receiver that is fixed (end state, can be telescoping that you pin)
  8. FFL #1 pins/welds muzzle device on upper
  9. When tax stamp arrives go back to FFL #1 and pickup upper
  10. You put gun together
  11. You FA10 your SBR

Gotcha so I cannot convert it to a rifle or SBR simply by extending the length of the barrel and registering it as such, thus MGL refers to it as an assault weapons as it falls into the Semi-automatic pistol category. I could receive it as a Rifle / SBR by following CrackPots steps (above). thanks!

As far as how this all happened. I purchased this via efa-10 as I was ignorant of the laws at the time of purchase (my own fault). I am planning on bringing it to an FFL tomorrow to avoid legal issues. But what happens at this point? paper trail? original seller? am I ok to sell it to an FFL?

Back
Top Bottom