• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR build in 308.

Hello all,
I am currently looking to build an AR-10 in 308 or as a multical with 6.5. Now I have been digging through forums and laws in Massachusetts trying to find a straight answer. I have gone to countless gun shops and its rather inconclusive. Now heres the question due to the 2016 AWB which as im reading is truly a reiteration of the 94’ ban. From what i hear in order to have a mass compliant AR variation that being a non copycat of an AR-15 or AK-47 now especially with my caliber choice not being 5.56 and not being determined as an intermediate sized cartridge which is what ive seen “assault rifle” defined as. Does an AR-10 even fall under the catagory of a copycat as the AR-10 technically came prior to the AR-15 and the AR would be a different build in theory. So if i were to follow along with mass compliance i would need to have a fixed stock, fixed muzzle break in order to have an open magwell as i am thinking of going the 80% route. As well because the state determines that a collapsable stock and pistol grip are super deadly laser weapons can i kill two birds with one stone by getting a stock that takes the place of the pistol grip to therefore make it so that I wouldnt have to weld my muzzle device? all of this is what my research has lead to in the good chance that i am incorrect about anything please call me out as i need to know and i typed this out rather quick ill try to clarify anything that is misunderstood. i essentially want to build my own AR-10 and have an open mag well thats all but i dont want to get in trouble

There is no 2016 AWB.

You can either choose to follow the 1994 AWB “copy and duplicate” interpretation that existed from 1994 to 2016, to include when the MA legislature chose to use it when they copied the federal law in 1998… or choose to follow Healey’s interpretation which flies in the face of precedent and MA legislative intent and in some ways is actually contrary to clear MGL text.

If you choose to follow 22 years of interpretation, either go the 80% route or have a lower transferred to an FFL in MA who will transfer it to you. Then make it feature compliant and enjoy.

There is no 2016 AWB.

You can either choose to follow the 1994 AWB “copy and duplicate” interpretation that existed from 1994 to 2016, to include when the MA legislature chose to use it when they copied the federal law in 1998… or choose to follow Healey’s interpretation which flies in the face of precedent and MA legislative intent and in some ways is actually contrary to clear MGL text.

If you choose to follow 22 years of interpretation, either go the 80% route or have a lower transferred to an FFL in MA who will transfer it to you. Then make it feature compliant and enjoy.
thank you god bless

have a lower transferred to an FFL in MA who will transfer it to you. Then make it feature compliant and enjoy.
Every LGS I've been in will not sell or transfer a lower to the public...

Every lower I've seen in the gun stores say "LEO Only"...

I think this will be 100% Illegal, have a friend in a free state, go to their house, build your gun, do a FTF buy than do a FA10E... ;)
Again, I think this will be Illegal or is totally 100% Illegal under Marua's Law or any Law!!!

you need to try harder.. actually not that hard..

They are all afraid of Marua...

Heck one LGS I bought from recently wouldn't even sell two handguns in the same day to a person... I had to teach them that it was legal to do so... They had watched something from the ATF, and they thought they couldn't sell more than one handgun per day to a person...

Every LGS I've been in will not sell or transfer a lower to the public...

Every lower I've seen in the gun stores say "LEO Only"...

I think this will be 100% Illegal, have a friend in a free state, go to their house, build your gun, do a FTF buy than do a FA10E... ;)
Again, I think this will be Illegal or is totally 100% Illegal under Marua's Law or any Law!!!
Don't shop at Four Seasons then....[laugh]

Just look at the dealers in the classifieds....

Don't shop at Four Seasons then....[laugh]

Just look at the dealers in the classifieds....

OH, I love FS...

For me to go to FS it is an all-day trip... I'm in western MA so it's a 2-to-3-hour trip there, shop, then 2 to 3 hour's home...
It's a day's trip for me and I have to figure the gas to get there and back, wear and tear on the vehicle...
So, most times it's not worth the trip if it's only a few dollars difference than the gun here at my LGS...
Now if it's something I can't get here local then that's different...

I know that FS does say F Y Martha and sells things that other shops won't, it's just the time to go there and back that's the killer...

OH, I love FS...

For me to go to FS it is an all-day trip... I'm in western MA so it's a 2-to-3-hour trip there, shop, then 2 to 3 hour's home...
It's a day's trip for me and I have to figure the gas to get there and back, wear and tear on the vehicle...
So, most times it's not worth the trip if it's only a few dollars difference than the gun here at my LGS...
Now if it's something I can't get here local then that's different...

I know that FS does say F Y Martha and sells things that other shops won't, it's just the time to go there and back that's the killer...
He’s saying don’t go to FS if you want lowers. The mill is also, fortunately for you, much closer to western MA.

He’s saying don’t go to FS if you want lowers. The mill is also, fortunately for you, much closer to western MA.
DUH, I'll learn to read some day :p ... I see that now, (Don't shop at Four Seasons then....[laugh])...

Where is The Mill??? I've never heard of that Gun Shop...

DUH, I'll learn to read some day :p ... I see that now, (Don't shop at Four Seasons then....[laugh])...

The Mill is an old mill building in Littleton.

410 Great Rd, Littleton, MA 01460

There are a lot of FFLs there, including some that advertise on this forum.

OP, have you built an AR style rifle before? The AR 10 platform can be quite tricky as it's not nearly as standardized as the AR-15 platform. a few years back I had plans to build an AR-10 rifle and the advice I got here and elsewhere was to build an AR-15 or two as it's a good way to get familiar with building these rifles and you'll have a better understanding of what is and isn't working when you start your AR-10. they are definitely more fussy to get working right.
so I built 6 AR-15s on 80% lowers and lost interest on the AR 10 project and am now building a 280AI on a Savage 110C action.

I have had no problem building an AR 10. I used an 80% lower that is a DPMS Gen 1, With that you have to use a DPMS Gen 1 Upper.

OP, have you built an AR style rifle before? The AR 10 platform can be quite tricky as it's not nearly as standardized as the AR-15 platform. a few years back I had plans to build an AR-10 rifle and the advice I got here and elsewhere was to build an AR-15 or two as it's a good way to get familiar with building these rifles and you'll have a better understanding of what is and isn't working when you start your AR-10. they are definitely more fussy to get working right.
so I built 6 AR-15s on 80% lowers and lost interest on the AR 10 project and am now building a 280AI on a Savage 110C action.

Yeah, the AR-10/AR308 builds take a lot more research to determine part compatibility between all the various versions.

Last edited:
They are all afraid of Marua...

Heck one LGS I bought from recently wouldn't even sell two handguns in the same day to a person... I had to teach them that it was legal to do so... They had watched something from the ATF, and they thought they couldn't sell more than one handgun per day to a person...
You need to find new places to shop

NES life member and member since 2006 and never heard of the mill?

Not sure I could even trust talking to you, lol

Back
Top Bottom