• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR legalities

It is my understanding that CT residents can not have flash hiders and collapsible stocks on ARs. Is this correct?

I also understand that sportsmen may bring ARs with flash hiders and collapsible stocks into the state for training or competitions. Is that also correct?

I'm not sure about out of staters being able to bring in pre-ban rifles... I doubt it.

As for residents, you can only "legally" own AR's that:

1. Do not have a bayonet lug
2. Have a non-folding, and/or non-telescoping stock.
3. Does not have a flash hider. A compensator is ok. No threaded barrels, so technically a comp has to be pinned/welded on.

The rifles that meet these requirements are labelled as "post-ban," or "sunset" firearms.

Any rifle labelled as "pre-ban" type, and was not actually manufactured prior to the ban in 1994 are not legal to own.

But they make nice safe-queens! [wink]

ok.. thanks for the info. I will keep checking on the rules for state residents

Last edited:
I found that that possession, not just transfer of assault weapons is illegal so out of state residents may not bring them into CT

I found that that possession, not just transfer of assault weapons is illegal so out of state residents may not bring them into CT

This is actually different than having evil features on your AR. An assault weapon is "any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user." So basically class 3 guns have to be full auto and safe only. No semi/full auto guns. There is also a list of semi auto guns considered by CT to be assault weapons but copies of these guns are not illegal. Evil features are different than assault weapons but are in the same bill.
http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294488&dpsNav=| a link to help.

My reading of the statute shows that rifles with those certain "evil features" to be assault weapons

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

Last edited:
maybe so but pre ban guns can be transferred into the state no problem with the evil features and even the listed pre ban guns so long as they were made before 1994 without a certificate of possesion. The no transfers is for select fire autos.

True, this does not effect preban guns for CT residents. I do now know if out of state residents can bring in pre ban guns or not.

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

This is the one that confuses me. Doesn't this apply to all ARs? Therefore eliminating the ability to have any of the other options.

Yes, it applies to all ARs (except the "California" versions that use a rifle stock instead of a pistol grip or pump action instead of semi-auto)

Since the AR is semi-auto AND has a pistol grip, the rifle can NOT have any of the evil features listed. To be legal, it must have a fixed stock and either an unthreaded barrel or one with a permanent compensator. This goes for all rifles of the same description, AK, FAL etc.

And no bayonet lug.

So, to condense it into one post:

For an AR-15 to be legal to possess within the boundaries of the state of CT (with no special licenses), it may NOT have:

1. A folding or telescoping stock
2. A bayonet lug
3. A flash suppressor

It CAN have a muzzle break/compensator, or a FIXED telescoping-type stock.

There is also no ban on hi-cap mags, so you can have whatever you want for that.

The part of the law that you are missing is Sec. 53-202m

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

from here: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap943.htm

So yes, you can bring your preban AR into CT as long as it was manufactured prior to Sept 13, 1994. None of the "assault weapon" definitions apply.

I think the cornerstone features are semiautomatic actions and detachable magazines. If any post 1994 rifle has these two features, it can only have one of the "evil" features such as: Pistol Grip, Bayo Lug, Flash Suppressor, etc. Tube fed rifles, for example, can have all of them.

hypethical question

Ok,
I read this entire thread through at least once, some parts twice.
I have the following hypethical question
If I was to come from NY and take up residence here in CT and bring my Pre-ban AR-15 Competition Service Rifle with me, that I personal removed the bayonet lug, but the rifle still has a pistol grip, detachable magazine, and flash-suppressor with a possible threaded barrel. I am not complaint??[frown]

Ok,
I read this entire thread through at least once, some parts twice.
I have the following hypethical question
If I was to come from NY and take up residence here in CT and bring my Pre-ban AR-15 Competition Service Rifle with me, that I personal removed the bayonet lug, but the rifle still has a pistol grip, detachable magazine, and flash-suppressor with a possible threaded barrel. I am not complaint??[frown]

If by pre-ban, you mean feature wise but made after Sept 13, 1994.... then you are correct. The threaded barrel / flash suppressor makes it non compliant.

If by pre-ban, you mean made before Sept 13, 1994... then you would be compliant.

Two features only (detach mag and pistol grip) UNLESS it was made prior to Sept 13, 1994. And it would probably be in your best interest to have some paperwork to prove it. I keep a copy of my letter of assembly in my AR case.... and a copy of the 53-202 statutes.

Last edited:
And no bayonet lug.

So, to condense it into one post:

For an AR-15 to be legal to possess within the boundaries of the state of CT (with no special licenses), it may NOT have:

1. A folding or telescoping stock
2. A bayonet lug
3. A flash suppressor

It CAN have a muzzle break/compensator, or a FIXED telescoping-type stock.

There is also no ban on hi-cap mags, so you can have whatever you want for that.

I was under the impression there was a ban on Hi Cap Mags???Can someone clarify this? And does this mean C-Mags are legal in Ct?

Back
Top Bottom