• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR malfunctions help *UPDATE* SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Ink

I have been searching NES for about 2 hours looking for threads on common AR malfunctions and immediate action drills to practice because i am pretty new to AR's.

Can someone point me to a trusted resource?
Thanks!

Last edited:
SPORTS

Slap up on the magazine
Pull back on the charging handle
Observe the round leaving the chamber (or not leaving).
Release the charging handle
Tap the forward assist
Squeeze the trigger

That's for malfunctions.

AR's are a pretty reliable weapons system. With a good quality AR, the only problems you'll encounter are operator error. Bad mags, ammo, maintenance habits.

Enjoy the AR. I always have.:D

hmm, so what happens when an empty piece of brass gets wedged between a fresh round halfway in the chamber and the top of the upper receiver?

It's not happening often, i need to fix the problem and i was hoping for s better way to clear it besides dropping the mag, twisting the empty casing out, then extracting the damaged live round etc etc etc....

btw.. thanks jar. good info there.

lemme set up the malfunction i am talking about and i'll post a pic....

Last edited:
IMG_0271.jpg

here's whats going on

weak extractor/ejector or its short stroking.

I assume when it happens the bolt is down of the live round. Try ripping the empty out by hand, if the live round come out of the chamber, then drop the mag. cycle the Bolt, put the mag back in and charge the round.

By the looks of all the brass at the ejection port, you have an issue with your rifle, who built it

Using American Eagle ammo, CCI ammo.
CS Products mags, Orlite mags.

I don't exactly know the total round count on the rifle. I think it is about 600 or so. I have put about 200-300 rounds through it myself and this malfunction is the only malfunction i get... about one every 2-3 magz.
EDIT: the empty brass hits the deflector every time and lands forward of me and to the right. I believe most of the parts are Remsport, but i am not sure if he assembled the rifle. I love the gun, but i wanna fix this issue.

Last edited:
One of my AR's was doing that. I took out the bolt and disassembled it. My issue was there was no o-ring around the extractor spring. Simple fix, I bought the BCM Extractor spring upgrade. I bought the kit just for the o-ring but thought I would try the upgraded spring first. With the new spring from them, I didn't need the o-ring. Check the o-ring or try the kit and see if that helps.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm extractor spring upgrade.htm

I don't exactly know the total round count on the rifle. I think it is about 600 or so. I have put about 200-300 rounds through it myself and this malfunction is the only malfunction i get... about one every 2-3 magz.
EDIT: the empty brass hits the deflector every time and lands forward of me and to the right. I believe most of the parts are Remsport, but i am not sure if he assembled the rifle. I love the gun, but i wanna fix this issue.

Put a new extractor spring and insert in, see if that solves the problem

Ink:2057490 said:

That's not many rounds. Like the poster up above, that looks like extractor problems to me. I'd replace the extractor/spring. I'd also pick up some nice usgi mags with magpul followers. Good mags eliminate lots of problems. That's my opinion on your mags. What brand AR?

Last edited:
Also make sure that the three rings around the bolt don't have their gaps lined up. The gaps should be evenly spaced around the bolt. If they have rotated around so that the gaps are aligned, too much gas can blow past the bolt.

Sent from my cheap expensive cell phone using Tapatalk

Replace the extractor spring with a Wolff extra power spring, and replace the buffer with a black carbine part, both are available from Brownells. Clean and lube the bolt and carrier, run it wet, and lube the gas rings.

Also make sure that the three rings around the bolt don't have their gaps lined up. The gaps should be evenly spaced around the bolt. If they have rotated around so that the gaps are aligned, too much gas can blow past the bolt.

Sent from my cheap expensive cell phone using Tapatalk

Where did you hear that from? That is 100% wrong, the gun can run on 1 good gas ring.

If its a carbine the extractor spring should be a 5 coil spring with a black insert. The most recent Carbine extractor springs are a Bronze/Gold Color and are even stronger then the regular 5 coils springs.

Last edited:
Then they need some work done to them.

Maybe but ammo can run a huge spectrum of power and some of that eastern block stuff has a coating on it that will gum up the works. Watch where the brass falls. Overgassed, fast cycling tends to throw the brass forward to the 1 O'clock position. Undergassed, slower cycling tends to throw it back in the five O'clock position.

i'm throwing brass about 2 o'clock.

Anyway, so here's the update....
I ordered BCM's SOPMOD bolt rebuild kit. Remsport said he will 100% take care of any issues if this is his bolt, but i don't know for sure, and he's a looong drive from me. Plus, i had already ordered the kit and i like to play with guns so....

2 of the 3 gas rings were wiped right out to the point this rifle was running on 1 gas ring (unless this is normal wear.... i've never taken a bolt apart before). I replaced the extractor, pin, spring, insert, installed o-ring, and new gas rings. The SOPMOD rebuild kit had all of these items and it was a snap to install. The new bolt has a LOT of pressure on the extractor now. The new spring is no joke. And the bolt is a lot tighter in the carrier now with the new rings. I'll chime in after a trip to the range tomorrow.
*excited* *excited*

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

I wish i had bought more stuff to play with [thinking]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom