• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Muzzle device question??

I am somewhat new to the world of ARs and I have a question. I recently got into a debate with a guy about the legality of flash hiders. I was told the muzzle device in this pic was legal, but I think it is a standard A2 flash hider, which would make the rifle illegal in MA, since it is post ban. What do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363437340.386342.jpg

Not legal, it is an A2 flash hider. Also, please be advised that in MA, the addition of any compliant muzzle device needs to be pinned/welded to your weapon. Further, any company can claim that what ever they wish to discribe the function of the device they sell. In the unlikely event that you are questioned legally, it is up to you to prove it is indeed a comp or brake.

Not legal, it is an A2 flash hider. Also, please be advised that in MA, the addition of any compliant muzzle device needs to be pinned/welded to your weapon. Further, any company can claim that what ever they wish to discribe the function of the device they sell. In the unlikely event that you are questioned legally, it is up to you to prove it is indeed a comp or brake.

That's what I thought. The guy was adamant that it is legal. By the way it wasn't pinned or permanently affixed. When I told him that, he looked at me like I have no clue what I was talking about...

It's not an end-all rule, but generally if the muzzle end is significantly larger than the bore diameter, it is a flash suppressor

How do you know it's an A2? There are many similar looking muzzle brakes out there that looks like A2.... Tough one to prove IMHO.

How do you know it's not pinned and welded, or silver soldered or any other method? On my Remsport AR you cannot even tell it's pinned/welded because he did such a great job with it. It's only a tiny hole (3/16 I think) which is pinned then the pin is welded in. After that it's filed/sanded smooth, coat of paint over it, can't even see it.

I hate this state.....

Comp
BL-21.jpg

Flash hider
images

Right?

How do you know it's an A2? There are many similar looking muzzle brakes out there that looks like A2.... Tough one to prove IMHO.

How do you know it's not pinned and welded, or silver soldered or any other method? On my Remsport AR you cannot even tell it's pinned/welded because he did such a great job with it. It's only a tiny hole (3/16 I think) which is pinned then the pin is welded in. After that it's filed/sanded smooth, coat of paint over it, can't even see it.

I hate this state.....

3/16 hole on a barrel is not a small hole. It's almost as big as the bore on the AR. Maybe 1/16 is more like it.

I know its hard to tell because it's not always visible. I had a project gun that I knew must have been welded because the brake would not come off. after I sanded off all the paint I still couldn't see a spot weld. An hour later after I carefully dissected the brake with a cut off wheel and pried it off I found the spot weld. bill

I just bought a Ruger 1022 22 caliber Takedown Tactical rifle with a Nikon P-22 scope. According to the State of Feinstein this is an Assault Weapon and is to be banned! WHY? Because it has a detachable 10 round mag and a "flash suppressor! Personally the suppressor on a 22 is only for looks. I asked Ruger about a "cap" to put in place of the "illegal gizmo", and they no they didn't have any such thing, so I asked a machine shop buddy of mine if he would make one for me and he said, "NO F"N way!" I really don't know what the big deal of making a cap for it is! I could see it (and a Ma company does make one) if I asked for a "silencer"! Which I would love so I could shoot at my "legally built" home range, just so I won't irritate my neighbors with noise. Anyone know where I could get either?

MYOFB

and if it's a pre-ban lower... it is legal....

I am somewhat new to the world of ARs and I have a question. I recently got into a debate with a guy about the legality of flash hiders. I was told the muzzle device in this pic was legal, but I think it is a standard A2 flash hider, which would make the rifle illegal in MA, since it is post ban. What do you guys think?

View attachment 58827

It is a perfectly legit thing to bring up. The MYOFB mentality is retarded in this instance. There is nothing wrong with bringing up the questionable legality of a rifle in MA or any other tard state. I have noticed a couple post ban lowers with non ban compliant uppers for sale in MA and informed the seller.

Personally I would rather be confronted by a fellow American if my rifle was not compliant than by a Fudd at the range or a LEO after I used it in defense.

MYOFB

and if it's a pre-ban lower... it is legal....

It is a perfectly legit thing to bring up. The MYOFB mentality is retarded in this instance. There is nothing wrong with bringing up the questionable legality of a rifle in MA or any other tard state. I have noticed a couple post ban lowers with non ban compliant uppers for sale in MA and informed the seller.

MYOFB FUDD

I just wonder why everyone is constantly so worried about everyone else's guns lately??

I especially would not go posting such 'illegal' things on an open internet forum either. Do you honestly think the people who made that device illegal, even know if it's illegal or not??? People worry too much about every little thing in every day life. I don't get it.

No worries on my end, just answering a simple question.....I agree, a lot of these concerns are no worth the effort.

Can anyone recommend a muzzle device that meets ma rules and can be welded on a 14.5" bbl to get to 16" for NFA legal? I figure if its got to be welded... why not go as short as is legal.

Back
Top Bottom