• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Pistol Braces and now uppers

I have an SBA3 that works well enough, but I am a bit out of the loop these days, so I don't know what the industry hype beast is pushing.

Pistol brace on these makes it a non NFA item right so no tax stamp?

Ive been itching to get an AR pistol and ive done the SBR route but this would be way easier.

Pistol brace on these makes it a non NFA item right so no tax stamp?

Ive been itching to get an AR pistol and ive done the SBR route but this would be way easier.

AR pistol/rifle is kind of funny; like funny strange, not funny hahah.

If an AR has been defined as a "rifle", it can't be made into a pistol.
If an AR has been defined as a "pistol", it can be made into a rifle.

"defined" as I understand it, means that a 4473 was filled out with that specification.

Short barreled rifle is a NFA item. It's a rifle with a short barrel, (less than 16 inches).

The answer to your question really is:
Pistol is NOT an NFA item.
You can put an "arm brace" on a pistol and it remains a pistol.

That's all FEDERAL. As far as I know, MA law doesn't contradict that.

Also note, pistols don't require paperwork from the ATF to cross state lines. My "truck gun" is an AR pistol.
I can take it into Florida and SC no problem. I cannot however take it into CT because of the state specific laws.

I have/had 4 different braces on numerous pistols. I started with the KAK Shockwave. I hated that thing. When shooting, the brace would dig in and and cause pretty significant pain while firing. This was because the brace was hard plastic and about 1/2" thick. I then moved to the Gen 1 Sig brace. I liked it but it was heavy and made the pistol back heavy. After finding a Gen 2 Sig on clearance at Rileys, I tried that one. While it was lighter and made the pistol more balanced, there wasn't an easy way to adjust LOP. Currently, I run a SB Tactical SBA3 that incorporates all I've looked for in a brace. Light, balances the pistol well and has an adjustable LOP. YMMV

Picture included.

Attachments

• pistol.jpg
    pistol.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 57
I have a Gear Head Works Tailhook MOD 2.
I like it. Its adjustable, but you have to push in a button on the side not on the bottom.
It uses a priority buffer tube so it can't be used with a stock.
It has a hook that swings down like a SPAS-12 shotgun to hold on to your arm and balances out the pistol.
The only thing I don't like about it is that the hook doesn't slam/snap quickly back in place. You have to move the locking lever manually.

What I'm talk about comes up at 54 seconds. Its what you see right now before clicking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAZBxYEx2yY&ab_channel=Brownells%2CInc

RC

Have a couple of the SBa4’s.
A couple of the Kak shockwave 1 and 2s.
Probably try a Tailhook next.
Not really nuts bout any of them but cheaper and less hassle than bending the knee to the man.

Is it still an AR if it has a pistol brace on it?

Can't tell if you're serious or not, so will answer it as though you are.

AR-pistol is not the same as AR-rifle is not the same as AR-other.
If it hasn't been registered as a rifle, it can be registered as a pistol.
Pistols can have pistol braces.

I have x AR pistols, x AR rifles and x lower receivers that have not been defined by first construction or paperwork as either rifle or pistol.

I have the Tailhook also.
Only complaint I have is that there is no female QD sling swivel attachment, but one can make due.
Ruger AR-15 pistol.jpg

So now that I have my brace I'm trying to narrow down an upper, x39? 5.56, 300aac? 9mm? and length I'm learning towards 10.5" no matter the caliber, I do already have a slick side 300 but since I don't reload an x39 seems like a way to leverage 30cal for the cheap. unfortunately Brandon has made that as expensive as 5.56

So now that I have my brace I'm trying to narrow down an upper, x39? 5.56, 300aac? 9mm? and length I'm learning towards 10.5" no matter the caliber, I do already have a slick side 300 but since I don't reload an x39 seems like a way to leverage 30cal for the cheap. unfortunately Brandon has made that as expensive as 5.56

7.62x39 isn't ".30 caliber". Proper 7.62x39 is 0.311", whereas .300BLK et al are 0.308".

If you're shooting with a suppressor, and why shouldn't you be if you're in NH, I would suggest .300. Otherwise, 5.56. 7.62x39 shoots best in AKs and guns designed around the cartridge, like the CZ 527 and 600 and Zastava M85 bolt action.

This is the brace I have on my SIG at my Florida home, but I don't remember the name of the company that makes them. 268355058_1078339059587766_1298136852748388260_n (2).jpg

That I also don't remember lol, but I do have a complete SIG upper that I am going to put on it, when I get back to Florida.

AR pistol/rifle is kind of funny; like funny strange, not funny hahah.

If an AR has been defined as a "rifle", it can't be made into a pistol.
If an AR has been defined as a "pistol", it can be made into a rifle.

"defined" as I understand it, means that a 4473 was filled out with that specification.

Short barreled rifle is a NFA item. It's a rifle with a short barrel, (less than 16 inches).

The answer to your question really is:
Pistol is NOT an NFA item.
You can put an "arm brace" on a pistol and it remains a pistol.

That's all FEDERAL. As far as I know, MA law doesn't contradict that.

Also note, pistols don't require paperwork from the ATF to cross state lines. My "truck gun" is an AR pistol.
I can take it into Florida and SC no problem. I cannot however take it into CT because of the state specific laws.
Bear with me here. I don't have a AR pistol or a SBR. Yet.
If I buy complete virgin lower only on a 4473, pistol or rifle should be unspecified at this point . So can I make an SBR (after the tax stamp course) or an AR pistol? Is it my choice at that point as the lower has been declared neither a rifle or pistol at any point?

Thanks for you patience

This in my AR-15 Truck gun.
10.5" barrel, 12" handguard, 2,5 or 3" flash cone, adjustable hook brace. Sig Romeo optics.
I can put a bullet right where I'm aiming at 100yards STANDING. shooting steel bottle targets.

truck-gun.jpg

RC

Bear with me here. I don't have a AR pistol or a SBR. Yet.
If I buy complete virgin lower only on a 4473, pistol or rifle should be unspecified at this point . So can I make an SBR (after the tax stamp course) or an AR pistol? Is it my choice at that point as the lower has been declared neither a rifle or pistol at any point?

Thanks for you patience
If the FFL does it correctly, it should be marked as "other" on the 4473.
In which case, yes.

Check your paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom