AR Refinishing Review - US Anodizing, VA

KMM696

NES Member
An old EA arms preban, cast receiver, complete with a really crappy painted finish. If it ever was anodized, they skipped the dye step - when I took the black paint off, bare Al underneath.

Before:

EA_Preban_1.jpg

After a trip to US Anodizing for type III anodizing, color's what they call 'New Black'. Shipped 21 Oct, arrived back 3 Nov - they did say they could do individual pieces like a receiver faster than a bag of parts, but that's still smokin' fast in my book.

EA_Preban_After.jpg

Hell, yeah, I'd use them again!!! They also do parkerizing and some of the coating type finishes, which I haven't tried - but I am very impressed by the anodizing. Thanks to bpm990d and dench for letting me know the shop existed.

That looks great! I think EA painted all their stuff and didn't anodize. That is why they were such a bargain. What was the cost to do just the lower?

B

$75 plus shipping - which is a little odd, as they don't want to figure out what shipping would be and would rather you sent in a prepaid return label. UPS hooked me up, there. Well worth it, I think.

It looks excellent, but hardly seems worth the bother (unless it was on a pre-ban gun) when generic lowers are about $80, and Remsport sells some nice looking ones for $95.

As to the UPS hookup - just go on-line and get a free UPS account. UPS will even deliver you free sticky labels to generate shipping labels, including return labels, in your printer.

Last edited:
This is not a receiver I would bother with if it weren't preban. Easily the lowest quality lower I own. I put a lot of rounds through it before I decided to put any further effort in......

Have you checked the fits on the pin holes, and other critical areas yet? I have read that re-anodizing sometimes alters those dimensions. It looks awesome, though. I see you are from MA also, so that explains why you are refinishing that lower!

I haven't - I don't have a set of pin gauges. The only way I'll have to check is to put it together and see if it still runs. The good news with this particular receiver is that it wasn't anodized to begin with, so there wasn't a couple thousandths of anodizing there that needed to be stripped off. Hopefully I'll have a chance to put it all together this weekend, although my brother's coming out with another rifle project that might soak up the available time.

Back
Top Bottom