AR SELF DEFENSE AMMO

For those of you that look to your AR as your home-defense weapon, what brand/type/weight bullet do you use? I've heard mixed results, some ranging from typical 55grn Ball ammo, so 75grn HP's.

For those of you that look to your AR as your home-defense weapon, what brand/type/weight bullet do you use? I've heard mixed results, some ranging from typical 55grn Ball ammo, so 75grn HP's.

I use Hornady TAP FPD 75gr. Course I have a 1/7 twist barrel, unsure
how it would work out of a 1/9 whether or not it would keyhole.

Edit: Yes it is expensive, but it's the old thing, how much is your life worth? [grin]

FWIW if you're on a budget you might as well just stick to M193 ball. (EG, Fed XM193, Win Q3131A, etc. )
Anything that is better is gonna run you about a buck a shot, maybe more. It's not the best performer in terms of ballistics, but you won't get a better one for the money.

-Mike

I have a 14.5" barrel w/ 2" muzzle break. 1/9" twist. Currently, I have M193 ball which is what I've been running through it. I don't mind spending the cash if it's really worth it.

I use 110gr TAP in my SOCOM-16. The stuff is wicked...[devil] From what I understand, at CQB ranges, 75gr 5.56 TAP will be stabile in a 1:9. I have even read threads with 75's running fine at extended ranges. Would be worth a box in my eyes to find out - Hornady is good stuff....

AR ammo is too powerful to use for home defense. It will penetrate walls and accidentally kill the neighbors.

I use a .44 Magum Ruger Redhawk instead. [smile]

Regards,

Bob

Remind me not to break into your houses.

It's funny because my GF and I were joking around about that movie "The Strangers", and we came to the conclusion that it would be a very short movie if they came to our house. You'd here the knock on the door, the creepy chick says, "your going to die!!!". I reply, "eventually of old age, or some stupid accident but you my friend have a more immediate problem on your hands BANG BANG BANG PISTOL WHIP BANG PISTOL WHIP RELOAD. The babe is taking care of the other thugs at the other door w/ her revolver. End of movie.

PS. Right now I have M193 Privi partisan. i'll pick up a box of hornady tap, but for now I'd be fine with that.

It's funny because my GF and I were joking around about that movie "The Strangers", and we came to the conclusion that it would be a very short movie if they came to our house. You'd here the knock on the door, the creepy chick says, "your going to die!!!". I reply, "eventually of old age, or some stupid accident but you my friend have a more immediate problem on your hands BANG BANG BANG PISTOL WHIP BANG PISTOL WHIP RELOAD. The lady is taking care of the other thugs at the other door. End of movie.

PS. Right now I have M193 Privi partisan. i'll pick up a box of hornady tap, but for now I'd be fine with that.

HAHA, Eat the popcorn fast , this will only take a minute.

The police will come to draw a line around the body. It's my job to decide who's body.

Home defense AR? Think fast and light.
A 40gr varmint bullet will do less damage after penetrating the average house wall than a .40 caliber Glock.

Ayoob did a study on this a while back. Sorry, but I no longer have the article.

Back
Top Bottom