• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR single stage trigger recommendations?

Thanks guys, definitely up for whatever input but not into drop ins.

Looked into the QMS a bunch and found more than one review where someone was pleased with the ACT but fealt the QMS was a poor mil spec at best. I put an ACT on order to at least get in line and will evaluate that when it shows (looks like maybe a month). In the meantime hopefully my known gtg stuff will come available else at least I have a plan. Or maybe another option is out there.

In Larue the odd thing is you can buy their heavy duty springs but not the mbt 5.5 lb they ship with their single stage. Still may be an improvement but not trying to develop a better trigger just want a tested/known formula to follow. The stock Aero's I have mostly aren't the absolute worst thing but I do want to upgrade some and have built lowers hanging around with uppers to match that are short triggers, so no matter what need a few complete fcg's.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I really like the mbt2s, they don't leave anything to be desired for me, 3 lbs or something, $80 and $70 if you buy 3 at a time. Never an ftf with various mil spec and commercial ammo across 7.62 & 5.56. But thats for scoped rifles, not interested in 2s for carbines.

By MBT, do you mean the LaRue??

I have a rifle with one of their 2 stage MBTs and its very good. It came with the rifle, so I don't know about its value proposition vs the RRA. Its very different though.

If a 4 lb RRA is like 2 lb first stage and 2 lb second stage
The LaRue 2 stage is more like 1 lb first stage and 3 lb second stage. - it feels less like a 2 stage and more like its just take up on a single stage trigger.

Re your comment about single stage for carbines - I used to feel that way but have found that 2 stage triggers are just as fast and just as accurate when shooting fast. They all reset leaving you up against the second stage. So its not like there is more take up.

Just a thought. Everyone's preferences are different. But you may want to try a 2 stage for a carbine. I took several carbine classes and did a few 3 gun matches with the RRA 2 stage match trigger before the Geissele super 3 gun came out. Sure my Timney single stage was great. But at ~$200, I wasn't going to put it on every gun.

Don

Well you could just buy the HD tactical spring from larue and polish a good milspec.
LaRue Tactical HD Trigger Spring - LaRue Tactical
or maybe some of those fancy coated triggers ?

Never used these but they are in stock ?

Even a polished, perfectly finished mil spec trigger has an infuriating amount of creep if you are shooting slowly. I'm speculating, but its a safe bet that the creep is because that's how you get a soldier proof drop safe single stage trigger for reasonable money.

By MBT, do you mean the LaRue??

I have a rifle with one of their 2 stage MBTs and its very good. It came with the rifle, so I don't know about its value proposition vs the RRA. Its very different though.

If a 4 lb RRA is like 2 lb first stage and 2 lb second stage
The LaRue 2 stage is more like 1 lb first stage and 3 lb second stage. - it feels less like a 2 stage and more like its just take up on a single stage trigger.

Re your comment about single stage for carbines - I used to feel that way but have found that 2 stage triggers are just as fast and just as accurate when shooting fast. They all reset leaving you up against the second stage. So its not like there is more take up.

Just a thought. Everyone's preferences are different. But you may want to try a 2 stage for a carbine. I took several carbine classes and did a few 3 gun matches with the RRA 2 stage match trigger before the Geissele super 3 gun came out. Sure my Timney single stage was great. But at ~$200, I wasn't going to put it on every gun.

Don

Yes mbt = LaRue, they make a 1s & 2s version. Started at like $130 or something on the 2s then they mass produced & cost reduced and now they are $80 or 3 for $70. Really good value for your $$...

2.5 lb first stage and 2 lb 2nd, very light in all practical terms, have a handful of them and I feel like I need to warn people before they shoot those rifles even, deceivingly easy to discharge accidentally.

Don't know the history on the 1s but it's just a nice 1s for the same $$ that barely makes the mil spec 5.5 lb min.

Anyway yes its getting anal but I feel I want that heavier 1s in something I run off my shoulder and carry around. Just makes sense in my head - an 18 inch rifle with a 3-9x scope sure I see the 2s making sense but not in a 14.5 or 16 inch carbine with a fixed 1x or 2.5x optic.

If you like the LaRue 2stage, why not try the single stage MBT?

Anything truly "mil spec" is just terrible.

There is a ton of sear engagement. Again, probably makes sense given its design parameters. But it can't be made right. If you won't be dropping your rifle out of heliopters with a round in the chamber, I think the MBT single stage would be a reasonably priced first place to look.

If you like the LaRue 2stage, why not try the single stage MBT?

Anything truly "mil spec" is just terrible.

There is a ton of sear engagement. Again, probably makes sense given its design parameters. But it can't be made right. If you won't be dropping your rifle out of heliopters with a round in the chamber, I think the MBT single stage would be a reasonably priced first place to look.

Haha yes read my first post, I like those and would have a bunch coming but for about 6 weeks they have been out and am not confident about when/if they will be available so looking for other options.

Haven't been able to get a response via phone or online when they might re-appear (phone got me voicemail, online no response) - which is odd as you think they would at least respond "2-3 months, covid blah blah". Also isn't a backorder option, nor do they have an in stock alert option even.

Anyway so looking for a substitute so I can get some things wrapped up, a few lowers here minus triggers, a few more been meaning to upgrade. Figured there is probably some equivalent, the ALG ACT definitely sounds like the ballpark. Did note BCM also has something similar I can at least get on order but nobody here made a recommendation on it.

I just bought a velocity 3lbs AR trigger. For me it was between the Velocity and the Rise Armament. The QC control (online reviews) seemed better with the Velocity and should be getting it soon. I will be comparing it to my Triggertech 2 stage ($245) that is in my other AR build. The Triggertech has the most ridiculous break I have ever felt in any trigger I have used. I also have a TT Diamond in my Custom R700 build too so i'm a big TT fan. I wanted to try something new though and a lot cheaper. I don't think you could go wrong with either Velocity or the RA at $120 range.

Yeah, big fan of the ALG ACT for a single stage “combat” trigger type application. I hear the QMS is the same except for the finish and it’s cheaper. But I can’t speak to it as I haven’t used it.

Seconded on ALG ACT. Excellent price to performance ratio. I think I scored mine around $60. Smooth and great single stage break. Sure, there are better out there, but for the amount more, not sure if worth it unless you're doing competition or precision distance shooting.

For carbines where I don't want a 2 stage I thought I would be picking up MBT-1S's to finish off some builds and upgrade a few others, unfortunately they have been out of stock for awhile and I haven't had any luck getting a response from LaRue as far as when they may become available again. Seems odd as in the past with their 2S triggers you could pre order and wait a month or two - this time no such option offered (and with the clock ticking on election buying I want to avoid) I am thinking I should see what else is available.

Maybe spring changes and my own polishing is an option or maybe an equivalent on the market. Basically I want a decent crisp 5 lb single stage trigger, prefer non drop in just a quality mil spec sort of thing for carbines that is say less than $100 (if cheaper then great).

Ideas? Thanks!

ALG QMS or ACT with Kaw Valley Precision reduced power spring.

No promises. But I think I can work a deal (group buy) on the Rise Armament triggers for $110 out the door. Need at least ten solid “in’s”.

Any takers?

This is a limited offer as all parts are in high demand.

No promises. But I think I can work a deal (group buy) on the Rise Armament triggers for $110 out the door. Need at least ten solid “in’s”.

Any takers?

This is a limited offer as all parts are in high demand.
I must have bought mine at the right time last month. After using a $10 off coupon, it was $99 and change shipped from Brownells. I just checked their website and it looks like the price went back up.

Cmc is on sale on primary arms great triggers

Attachments

• B2D24FDF-8432-4310-8430-B32A85A862EC.jpeg
    B2D24FDF-8432-4310-8430-B32A85A862EC.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 4
I must have bought mine at the right time last month. After using a $10 off coupon, it was $99 and change shipped from Brownells. I just checked their website and it looks like the price went back up.

I know this is not the best price

But my “guy” has some

Just an offer. group buys are a pain. So if this is not good I’m ok rescinding the offer.

Back
Top Bottom