• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR10 Build

What do you think about my build?

• I like the way you party

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Just buy the LaRue you pussy

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Just buy a PSA build kit and upgrade it over time

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • AR10s are stupid, why don't you just shoot that M1A you own.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

xtry51

NES Member
I'm going to build an AR10. I really wanted to just buy a LaRue but I can't justify the price right now and be able to put nice glass on it after. So, I'm making a list here of what I'm thinking and I'd like some input. The goal is to keep this build around $1500 if possible without glass, $2000 if I stretch it. This is going to be a battle rifle, not a bench shooting safe queen. I plan on setting up a belt specifically for it.

Things I know I want:
1) 45deg offset sights because I'm most likely going to put a fixed 10x scope on and I want to have something for engaging inside 100yds.
2) A magpul adjustable stock. I have a CTR on my main AR15 and I love it. Maybe an STR?
3) 18" barrel
4) A free float rail to mount the front 45 sight and possibly a bipod at a later date.
5) The lower/upper is going to be an American Weapon Systems matched set DPMS pattern.
6) Lots and lots of 25rd PMAGs (which I'm actually not including in the build cost, I just wanted to write it down because it makes me smile)
7) Most likely a JP trigger because it's the same price as the RRA 2 stage which I love, but has a lighter pull and isn't $300. I also like wearing gloves, so I'm not crazy about doing something super high end and lighter than 3.5lbs

That's pretty much as far as I've got. Fire away.

Poll added for humor.

Last edited:
I like the way you party. I built an Armalite and am planning on reconfiguring to a similar setup. 20" barrel, full pic rail, and magpul PRS made for a 12 pound gun without glass. Keep it light....ish and you will be very happy. I'd even consider dropping to a 16" barrel.

Its a nice build. My 716 dmr is almost a copy of your list .

Though why you prefer the 10 fixed power? Vs just getting a variable scope like a 3-15? Or in your case a 3-9 power.. it will give you the cqb and the longrange?

Asking because i am going to buy a swfa 3-15 instead of their fixed 10 model soon

Use a Faxon barrel if you don't want to play the Palmetto lottery. People are getting right around 1MOA with them, at less than $250. You can't really beat that in the AR10 world.

I got "lucky" with my PA10, and I have absolutely no complaints about it, and no issues. Less than $1500 into it as you see it -- rifle, bipod, stock, trigger, scope, mount, mags, etc...
20150415_211449_1.jpg

Though why you prefer the 10 fixed power? Vs just getting a variable scope like a 3-15?

My guess is because the SWFA 10x has pretty decent glass and is only $299. The 3-15 is $699.

That being said OP, look at the PA 4-14x ACSS FFP. Thing is hands down the best scope you can buy for a .308 for less than $600, and I'm pretty confident saying it goes toe to toe with anything less than $1000. That's what I have on mine.

Last edited:
The STR is a nice stock, would be a good choice. I would recommend a Keymod rail. I used one on my 308 build and I am impressed at how easy it is to add stuff and how solid it is. Let me know if you need a carbine buffer (I ordered a rifle buffer and received a steel carbine buffer). They refunded my money and told me to keep it.

I will also plug the Hiperfire trigger, I used the 24E single stage. It is an unusual setup but wow it is amazing (I paid $205). You can set it up for 2lbs, 3.5-4 lbs and a higher value that escapes me at the moment - by changing out two springs.

The STR is a nice stock, would be a good choice. I would recommend a Keymod rail. I used one on my 308 build and I am impressed at how easy it is to add stuff and how solid it is. Let me know if you need a carbine buffer (I ordered a rifle buffer and received a steel carbine buffer). They refunded my money and told me to keep it.

I will also plug the Hiperfire trigger, I used the 24E single stage. I
t is an unusual setup but wow it is amazing (I paid $205). You can set it up for 2lbs, 3.5-4 lbs and a higher value that escapes me at the moment - by changing out two springs.

+1 on the STR. Good stock for this build. That or a B5 sopmod would be good too.

I'll +1 on the keymod rail as well. I used a Mega MATEN Keymod upper/matched lower for my 18" 308 build. If you didn't want to go proprietary rail system, check out the BCM KMR. Seems like such a great rail. Definitely plan to try one in the near future.

My barrel is a BHW which is great bang for the buck barrel. Criterion or Rainier barrels are other good options.

Definitely build this rifle. Love my AR10. Such a fun platform that opened up long range shooting for me.

Last edited:
For glass I'm going to spend as much as the rifle. Leupold, S&B, Nightforce. Not sure which yet.

I'd prefer a fixed power simply because this is primarily a longer distance rifle and I want to keep it simple. I have the irons if I need to keep my FOV open.

I am building off the same upper/lower set. When they come in, I am hoping to be able to buy a second upper so I can have 2 uppers set up for 2 different jobs instead of trying to force one into a total compromise role.

My intentions are a BCM gun fighter grip and a B5 SOPMOD stock for the lower. I have a "precision" 5.56 gun setup the same way. First and foremost I want a gun that is light and handy, so I am looking at 16" barrels and ~13" hand guards (I wish BCM would make the KMR for 308's). I will be looking at a 1-6x scope, probably PA with the ACSS reticle, and some MBUS Pro's. If I can buy a second upper from AWS, I want to build a mid-weight scoped upper with a 20" barrel and a ~15" hand guard. A bipod and probably a fixed 10 power like you, with some offset MBUS Pro's.

Now I want to build an AR10, dang it! Hmmmm, getting married in September, this could be a nice wedding gift, to myself! Haha

I am building off the same upper/lower set. When they come in, I am hoping to be able to buy a second upper so I can have 2 uppers set up for 2 different jobs instead of trying to force one into a total compromise role.

My intentions are a BCM gun fighter grip and a B5 SOPMOD stock for the lower. I have a "precision" 5.56 gun setup the same way. First and foremost I want a gun that is light and handy, so I am looking at 16" barrels and ~13" hand guards (I wish BCM would make the KMR for 308's). I will be looking at a 1-6x scope, probably PA with the ACSS reticle, and some MBUS Pro's. If I can buy a second upper from AWS, I want to build a mid-weight scoped upper with a 20" barrel and a ~15" hand guard. A bipod and probably a fixed 10 power like you, with some offset MBUS Pro's.

i thought the AWS was a hybrid design, DPMS mag well, but AR-10 upper? i am having a hard time finding barrels for the upper as we were told it was an armalite top end?

Back
Top Bottom