AR10 build

richc

NES Member
I'm looking to assemble an AR-10 build. I'll be using an Aero Precision lower.

In all my AR-15 builds I've used White Oak Armament barrels. Sadly they don't make AR-10 products.

So what barrels do you recommend for more of a target build with a 20" barrel or so? Triggers and foregrips?

I'll have to piecemeal the parts as everything is sold out at the moment. But I'd rather wait to get the right parts than compromise.

Thanks

Rich

I mean Ballistic Advantage is good.

My Faxon 6.5 creedmoor barrel is doing well.

Side question. If going for. Target 20" what caliber are you going

I have a variety of Faxon barrels, including a 308 and a 6.5creedmoor. That said, take a look at Windham Weaponry products as well.
i would say - what is the practical benefit of having an AR10 in 6.5CM? it is really better in a dedicated 24" bolt action. a 20" ar10 is never going to outshoot a 24" bergara.
but a .308 in 18" is quite sensible. a cheaper round and a bit different purpose, but, still going to hit anything very well in 100-500 yds.

I like Krieger barrels, and they have a few options for 308 AR's, including a 20" NRA-legal M110 service rifle profile for highpower/xtc.
Also, i think Compass Lake does complete 308 uppers.

I have 2 Rainier Arms Ulramatch barrels in .308. I like them.

Triggers I have G SSA-E's in them.

Handguards are an Aero and Fortis.

Keep in mind Aero .308 is "DPMS" pattern I believe.

I mean Ballistic Advantage is good.

My Faxon 6.5 creedmoor barrel is doing well.

Side question. If going for. Target 20" what caliber are you going

I'm planning on .308 because that's what I have for ammo and can reload.

I have 2 Rainier Arms Ulramatch barrels in .308. I like them.

Triggers I have G SSA-E's in them.

Handguards are an Aero and Fortis.

Keep in mind Aero .308 is "DPMS" pattern I believe.

Yeah, I'll likely use a Gieselle SSA-E. Recently put one of those in a CQB AR-15 build and love it!

Aero is sold out on most everything. And I did read up on the differences between DPMS and Armalite lower types. Thank you!

Aero is sold out on most everything.
i hope if nothing else like a true zombie apocalypse will happen - by a spring time this hysteria should calm down a bit and most parts may re-appear again.
and, not just aero itself is sold out, most other sources seem to be out too.

I used the Ballistic Advantage (now owned by Aero) 20" Premium Series. It's in 6.5 ManBun but they'll do a good job in .308. IIRC, my upper and lower are Aero. Trigger is a SSA-E. I've shot a fluke 0.12" 5-shot 100 yard group with this self-built upper and many sub-.5 MOA groups. I think the BA's are real sleepers and very well priced.

My favorite when not being el-cheapo is Compass Lake, which is who I used for my service rifle upper.

i would say - what is the practical benefit of having an AR10 in 6.5CM? it is really better in a dedicated 24" bolt action. a 20" ar10 is never going to outshoot a 24" bergara.
but a .308 in 18" is quite sensible. a cheaper round and a bit different purpose, but, still going to hit anything very well in 100-500 yds.
the practical benefit is "because." I don't need a reason for anything related to that upper unless my wife finds out how much it cost [rofl]

I ordered a Dracos barrel. You can get their blem barrels for a good price and they still carry their lifetime warranty

I used the Ballistic Advantage (now owned by Aero) 20" Premium Series. It's in 6.5 ManBun but they'll do a good job in .308. IIRC, my upper and lower are Aero. Trigger is a SSA-E. I've shot a fluke 0.12" 5-shot 100 yard group with this self-built upper and many sub-.5 MOA groups. I think the BA's are real sleepers and very well priced.

My favorite when not being el-cheapo is Compass Lake, which is who I used for my service rifle upper.

Pretty much what I have. I haven’t shot those groups because I’ve never really made it a priority over shotguns and pistols, but it is a nice shooter. I’m using an Aero lower too (M5?) as well.

If someone wants a gas gun for shooting beyond 800 yards, 6.5CM is the obvious choice. 308 from an AR10 is typically going to go trans-sonic somewhere between 800 and 900 yards. Also unless you are just plinking at gigantic plates, folks shooting at these distances aren't going to be saving any money by going to 308. Precision-worthy ammo or components for rolling your own are going to cost the same whether 308 or 6.5.

Sure, your typical 25-yard mag dumping range monkey can save a lot of money with 7.62 surplus ammo. But that's really not .308, right? No disagreement that within 500 yards I'd just shoot 308 for sake of simplicity and no lack of performance.

If someone wants a gas gun for shooting beyond 800 yards
that - why to do _that_? i do not say it is not interesting or challenging, it is, but, is it realistically repeatable - to be able to hit that far target with something else other than a bolt action?
it is not a sarcasm - i have never attempted shooting beyond 500yds with a gas gun.

Why would a 20" ar10 in 6.5 not shoot as good as a 24" bergara?

My gassers keep up with my match guns.

that - why to do _that_? i do not say it is not interesting or challenging, it is, but, is it realistically repeatable - to be able to hit that far target with something else other than a bolt action?
it is not a sarcasm - i have never attempted shooting beyond 500yds with a gas gun.
at media day I was double tapping a 10" gong at 875 with a factory 6.5 creed running factory 140 eldm hornady this was also with a 20mph steady cross wind.

modern rifles, especially the AR pattern, are just as capable of precision as bolt guns.

modern rifles, especially the AR pattern, are just as capable of precision as bolt guns.

Yes, it's repeatable and a well sorted gas gun built for accuracy can come close enough to a bolt gun that shooter skills will be much more of an issue. Last time I shot a bunch of 100 yard groups with my 6.5CM AR the average of the groups was 0.450 MOA- clearly under a half an inch. I had already spent time developing loads and the ammo components were all match quality, plus I'm using a great trigger, a very good barrel, and JP high pressure bolt. I can ding plates at 600 to 700 yards with almost boring repetition with the 6.5CM AR so long as I read the wind correctly. Not really boring, because I think it's cool as hell, LOL. Is an off the shelf Bergara this good? Maybe?

FWIW, the Precision Rifle Series has a gas gun division. Regarding shooting over 500 yards, any high power shooter is competing at 600 yards with an AR or maybe one of the few dinosaurs with M1A's. There's even a 600 yard vintage sniper competition with a M1 Garand category. Yes, all else being equal a bolt gun has less going on during the shot and should be inherently more accurate. However, it's not difficult to build an AR capable of sub-MOA accuracy and with some careful work one can even reach half-MOA accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom