• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 barrels

Any progress on the barrel selection
Not yet .
Stock being limited and such.
But im pretty sure since i decided mini gucci and being accuracy focused, that its between proof and nemo.

But being that i changed mind on going from the superlative arms setup for the piston gas system to a piston setup from an proven setup like the hk mr556 pushed the project back a little.

Finding those parts right now is pretty hard except for the gas block.

Ive seen mixed reviews on triarc as a company. And not much except forum talk about criterion

Im also debating since the cost projection by the end of the build will be near that or excess of a beretta arx, on trying to get that through our favorite channels here

Last edited:
Ive seen mixed reviews on triarc as a company. And not much except forum talk about criterion

Triarc’s demand did grow faster than their company was ready for. And I think their CS suffered. They seem to be on local LEA dick so much that they forget about normal customers. That said, I can’t knock their products.

Criterion isn’t out there much in the social media blitzes or YouTube reviews, but they’ve been a big player in barrels for a while. They make barrels and blanks for other companies in addition to their own lines.

Can’t go wrong with proof though.

Not yet .
Stock being limited and such.
But im pretty sure since i decided mini gucci and being accuracy focused, that its between proof and nemo.

But being that i changed mind on going from the superlative arms setup for the piston gas system to a piston setup from an proven setup like the hk mr556 pushed the project back a little.

Finding those parts right now is pretty hard except for the gas block.

Im also debating since the cost projection by the end of the build will be near that or excess of a beretta arx, on trying to get that through our favorite channels here
proof , maybe for the carbon fiber barrel for the light weight option.
NEMO? Bartlien blanks and they cut the profile.
Theres probably other companies that do the same thing that have barrels in stock for less maybe?
Criterion barrels are fine. Great price point for end results.

Green Mountain Rifle Barrels in NH. They have a shop in Conway. Button rifled barrels in 7, 8 and 9 twist, inexpensive. A few observations:

hammer-forged = mass production not for accuracy. show me one competition shooter that uses hammer forged.
button rifled = the majority of barrels not mass produced, quality barrels that are mid-range in price
cut rifled = meticulous barrel making ($$$), sharpest lands and grooves (Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, Hart, Satern, etc). The majority of (winning) match shooters use cut rifled barrels. Not necessary if you're not shooting across-the-course (out to 600 yards) or some form of tactical benchrest.

3 Methods of Barrel Rifling: Pros vs. Cons (but doesn't address hammer forging)

Barrel twist - 1:8 is good for just about everything (40 to 80 grains). Krieger makes a 1:7.7, but if you go with a 1:9 you'll have issues with 77 and 80 grain bullets (instability).

Material/treatment - stainless is relatively maintenance free. nitriding hardens (even stainless) and adds durability. No need for chrome lining unless military (as previously mentioned).

Profile: pencil barrels heat faster and shift POI. Heavier barrels handle heat better.

Length: a "service rifle" barrel (20") is spec'd to 2810fps with Mk 262 Mod 1 (issued ammo using Sierra 77 grain cannelured bullets). You'll lose 17-30 fps for every inch below 20". That does not equate to accuracy, just speed. Once you're transonic (depending on barrel length that can happen between 500-800 yards) then accuracy suffers.

Accurate Shooter Barrel Makers A non-exclusive listing of match barrel makers

hope this helps. If you're still in a bind, I have some NIB Satern (Liberty) barrels...

Last edited:
proof , maybe for the carbon fiber barrel for the light weight option.
NEMO? Bartlien blanks and they cut the profile.
Theres probably other companies that do the same thing that have barrels in stock for less maybe?
Criterion barrels are fine. Great price point for end results.
Was unaware of the nemo part.
Thanks

barrels are the infinite talk, one really needs to go to ar15.com and read threads there, as it is a never-ending thing.
longevity of a barrel, processes, profiles, costs, twist, optimal ammo to maintain subMOA - all that adds up.

i am perfectly happy with a 20" 1:8 stealth larue. it is extremely accurate with 62gr-68gr loads and should be capable of 5-10k shots in under MOA.

To add to the barrel options, Columbia River Arms makes polygonal rifled AR and bolt action prefit barrels. I bought a 20" AR barrel from them a while back when they were still running under the name Black Hole Weaponry. I can't verify their claim to higher velocities with that rifling as I've never chronoed that barrel, but I can say it's in the neighborhood of my Criterion upper for accuracy. They're a semi-custom shop, and offer a lot of interesting barrel profiles and chambering combinations.

Down side - they're currently working with a 12 month lead time. :confused:

To add to the barrel options, Columbia River Arms makes polygonal rifled AR and bolt action prefit barrels. I bought a 20" AR barrel from them a while back when they were still running under the name Black Hole Weaponry. I can't verify their claim to higher velocities with that rifling as I've never chronoed that barrel, but I can say it's in the neighborhood of my Criterion upper for accuracy. They're a semi-custom shop, and offer a lot of interesting barrel profiles and chambering combinations.

Down side - they're currently working with a 12 month lead time. :confused:
Funny you said that. I just found them yesterday and they are on my top 3 list

tune the gas flow so that light bolt and buffer dont get the sknot beat out of them.
.....I never went the light weight route?
7.5lb M4 seems light enough to me?
I'm with you!

or just plain be able to tune the action......not because you HAVE to but just because it's fun to tinker.

there are TONS of ar barrels manufactured to be over gassed. For reliability purposes but it's needless to do. I've fired some ar's that just don't need to be that over gassed. I put a JM adjustable gas block on an odin works barrel because it was SO over gassed. It was annoying to shoot.

with that said, I'm no expert.....I've only built and tinkered with about a dozen ar's but I REALLY like Ballistic advantage and Faxon barrels. My midlength Ballistic advantage has a pinned gasblock that seems to be pretty accurate.

I had a Faxon midlength barrel that shot lights out accurate. WAY more accurate than i will ever be.

so some movement happened with this.
I kinda said screw it, because i thought the price was right at the moment, and they were in stock. And from what ive seen/heard they have a decent reputation.

I ended up with an 18 inch ballistic advantage 223 wylde spr stainless steel premium series barrel.

I should have 90% of the items to complete my build by the end of this week.

Back
Top Bottom