• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 in Massachusetts worth it?

I live in Lowell, so I'm up to my ass in anti-gun bullshit... Anyway,

I have started to think about getting an AR. I'd love to build one but Im not sure what my options are. As far as I know. I can buy a preban AR already put together =$$$. Or buy a pre ban lower and build the rest myself, (even using postban parts as long as the lower is preban).= Less $$$?

I'm a college student so money is tight.

Last, is it worth the headache?

I'd appreciate some advice from Mass AR owners. Thanks!

Any particular reason you have to have a preban AR? Postban ARs are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

...I live in Mass

You can legally own a crippled postban AR in MA, with an LTC-B or better. Any MA gun store usually has them, lots of models well under a grand, too.

The expensive part these days is the ammo. Don't worry about what the gun costs, worry about what it's going to cost you to feed it. A case of 5.56 NATO these days is half the price of a rifle. [shocked]

-Mike

...I live in Mass

Which means you can own a post-ban or a pre-ban but not an AR that was built after the Federal AW ban sunset with all those eeeeeevilllllle! features such as a flash hider, pistol grip, collapsible stock etc.
Post bans will cost you less money unless you happen to come upon a great deal.

I'm confused.

I just called four seasons and they told me that I can buy a postban as long as it doesn’t have collapsible stock, flash hider, and bayonet lug. Other wise im good to go???

I thought their was an asault weppons ban???

Without trying to sound too noobish...can someone explain the AR in Mass situation to me?

....Be nice.

I'm confused.

I just called four seasons and they told me that I can buy a postban as long as it doesn’t have collapsible stock, flash hider, and bayonet lug. Other wise im good to go???

I thought their was an asault weppons ban???

Without trying to sound too noobish...can someone explain the AR in Mass situation to me?

....Be nice.

you pretty much explained it in your post. collapsible stocks need to be pinned in place, no flash hiders or bayo lugs though. Also mags larger than 10 rounds need to be preban.

wow i didn’t think it would be that easy, what about brands? Can we get any of them. Or is it like handguns where some are off limits? (like we cant have Para or H&K's)

If your new and skeptical about the AR's get a compliant one. Check out the Bushmaster XM15A2S. Familiarize yourself with it and its features. Then build your own custom upper with all the goods. And remember, its a muzzle break, not flash hider (I like the Troy Medieval MB for MA compliance) LOL.

Go to FS and have them show their various models & configurations (or your favorite shop for that matter..). They can explain the laws and nuances. And do your homework, lots of good information previously posted on this forum. There also was a link on AR15.com for new folks and Brownells has some helpful information as well.

-MS

Massachusetts-Compliant S&W M&P 15FT

You can buy one of these right off the rack in Massachusetts. I added the preban 30-round magazines in place of the 10-round that it came with. I can live without the bayonet lug and the pinned stock is a non-issue. Go for it, it's a great rifle. [smile]

DSC00414.jpg
[/IMG]

wow i didn’t think it would be that easy, what about brands? Can we get any of them.

Brands don't matter its whether or not the gun has AWB features on it or
not that does. You can't have a postban rifle in MA with bayo lugs, flash
hiders, or collapsible stocks on them.

Or is it like handguns where some are off limits? (like we cant have Para or H&K's)

There are virtually no handguns "off limits" in MA, save for a few exotic weird jobs like AR or AK based pistols. Most handguns are LEGAL in MA.

What a licensed dealer can or cannot sell/transfer you though, is a different story- but that does not mean, that the gun in question is "illegal" if they cannot or will not transfer it to you. This is hard to explain, but the law makes it illegal for the dealer to transfer certain handguns, but it does NOT make it illegal for you to actually own them.

See also: Handgun Compliance Faq:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37553

-Mike

Get a post ban AR and a butload of preban mags, they are a lot of fun to shoot, accurate as all getout, light as a feather and provide devastating firepower. The ammo will cost more than the gun in the longrun, consider reloading.

you pretty much explained it in your post. collapsible stocks need to be pinned in place, no flash hiders or bayo lugs though. Also mags larger than 10 rounds need to be preban.

i have a side question.. If i have a rifle that i buy a new stock for and it happens to be collapsible can i pin it myself in an attempt for it to be legal?

You can pin it yourself, but you have to be careful in terms of having a collapsible stock in the same vicinity as a post-ban lower. Someone might think you are trying to construct a non-compliant weapon.

Don't count on all gun shop employees to know the nuances of the law. I had one tell to a new customer that he "can't buy new Glocks in MA". Another employee - after I asked if he accepts firearms from individuals - said: "I will call the ATF"...
In another store, there are post ban DPMS complete with bayonet lugs and collapsible stocks.
Caveat Emptor!

Go to FS and have them show their various models & configurations (or your favorite shop for that matter..). They can explain the laws and nuances. And do your homework, lots of good information previously posted on this forum. There also was a link on AR15.com for new folks and Brownells has some helpful information as well.
-MS

You can legally own a crippled postban AR in MA, with an LTC-B or better. Any MA gun store usually has them, lots of models well under a grand, too.

The expensive part these days is the ammo. Don't worry about what the gun costs, worry about what it's going to cost you to feed it. A case of 5.56 NATO these days is half the price of a rifle. [shocked]

-Mike

Without derailing the thread too badly, any ideas on:
Which makes and models to look for?
Which stores to check?

I wouldn't need anything too fancy, though a 5.56 chamber is desired, but I'd like to keep to $800 or less.

Without derailing the thread too badly, any ideas on:
Which makes and models to look for?
Which stores to check?

I wouldn't need anything too fancy, though a 5.56 chamber is desired, but I'd like to keep to $800 or less.

I saw a Spike's Tactical at Pete's in Adams for under $700 two weeks ago. Little else seen in Western Mass under $800, though.

...You can buy new glocks in MA??? ...How?

In addition to private sales it's also perfectly legal for you to buy one from a dealer. It may not be legal for the dealer to sell it to you, but that's entirely his problem. The only things you can't buy (or even have) are guns and magazines that where prohibited by the expired federal assault weapon ban, i.e., post 9/13/94 semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine and more than one evil feature, or magazines holding more than 10 rounds, and a few pistols and shotguns.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom