AR15 sales in MA

Ernie07

NES Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and had a question regarding the sale of postban AR's. I've heard rumors of several FFL's in MA that have started selling post Healey AR15's and lower receivers as they do not find Healey's reinterpretation of the AWB legitimate. I am curious that if a person were to hypothetically purchase one of the AR's or lowers, would the liability/risk fall on the customer or the FFL or both?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and had a question regarding the sale of postban AR's. I've heard rumors of several FFL's in MA that have started selling post Healey AR15's and lower receivers as they do not find Healey's reinterpretation of the AWB legitimate. I am curious that if a person were to hypothetically purchase one of the AR's or lowers, would the liability/risk fall on the customer or the FFL or both?

It's a legitimate question.
I would suggest that all parties follow the LAW. And all will be well.

Maura claims both, but she is full of shit. If they are selling and I wanted to buy one, I would. Lowers are a no brainer when available, IMO. 22LR have been declared OK even by her. Build as 22LR if you want to comply with the law and FA10 the gun within 7 days. Then, slap whatever you want on it later. It all depends on your risk tolerance.

Hi everyone,

Your guess is as good as anyone in this state.

I know it's not a helpful answer but it is the truth.

FFLs not following the laws are not staying in business long.
As far as i know is if the guidelines and made up laws from our AG hold any water in the opinion of our courts
What ever manufacture,dealer or buyer will be facing what ever AG/prosecutor/courts throw at them.

Your guess is as good as anyone in this state.

I know it's not a helpful answer but it is the truth.

One need only look to the companies that won't ship as much as a sticker to the state of Massachusetts because of the confusing laws.
Aero Precision
BCM
PSA?

There's a list somewhere, that's all the patience I have for now.

Last edited:
FFLs not following the laws are not staying in business long.
As far as i know is if the guidelines and made up laws from our AG hold any water in the opinion of our courts
What ever manufacture,dealer or buyer will be facing what ever AG/prosecutor/courts throw at them.
And in >4 years nobody has been prosecuted. And many ARs have been registered over that same time.

There are lawyers just chomping at the bit to challenge her and she knows it, so she hasn't and won't go there.

Maura claims both, but she is full of shit. If they are selling and I wanted to buy one, I would. Lowers are a no brainer when available, IMO. 22LR have been declared OK even by her. Build as 22LR if you want to comply with the law and FA10 the gun within 7 days. Then, slap whatever you want on it later. It all depends on your risk tolerance.

Wouldn't this still be technically illegal according to Healey since the lower is manufactured for 556?

"A weapon that is manufactured as an Assault Weapon cannot be made legal by alterations that allow it to discharge .17 or .22 caliber ammunition."

Wouldn't this still be technically illegal according to Healey since the lower is manufactured for 556?

"A weapon that is manufactured as an Assault Weapon cannot be made legal by alterations that allow it to discharge .17 or .22 caliber ammunition."
A lower is a lower. Caliber is determined by the build. Her edict is irrelevant to me regarding the law. She doesn't get to change the meaning of the law unilaterally at a presser. In short, she can go f*** herself. But, everyone's risk tolerance is different.

And in >4 years nobody has been prosecuted. And many ARs have been registered over that same time.

There are lawyers just chomping at the bit to challenge her and she knows it, so she hasn't and won't go there.

I think her main goal was to pull them off the shelves in most gun stores. And she achieved that goal.
But whats up with Sig? How is it that the MCX Virtus is still available? I know it is a piston gun, but what makes it ok and others not? A large campaign contribution perhaps?

I think he main goal was to pull them off the shelves in most gun stores. And she achieved that goal.
But whats up with Sig? How is it that the MCX Virtus is still available? I know it is a piston gun, but what makes it ok and others not? A large campaign contribution perhaps?

I believe its the piston system that separates it as the internals are different enough that it's not considered copycat. That's my understanding atleast.

I think he main goal was to pull them off the shelves in most gun stores. And she achieved that goal.

All piston rifles are ok (bren, scar, mcx etc) because they aren't ar15s or aks

Last edited:
Absolutely, our AGs have been using this technique for a long time. But, more and more people are realizing the emperor has no clothes. Target Sports has shown the way, but I understand the pressure working on small businesses.

The sig MCX is a piston-driven rifle. It differs in that, the bolt is not interchangeable with a gas driven, direct impingement rifle.
The law says, it needs to have at least one other common feature, along with a detachable magazine to be considered a "copy".
The piston system differs sufficiently to not be "a copy" apparently.

Kinda makes me want to go buy one, although they are by virtue, heavier and more expensive than a "gas gun".
We'll see....
I have been thinking about it myself. At 2k they are really not muck more money than a gas gun these days. But then I ask myself... "How many AR's do you need?"
And good luck finding one in stock around here.
One of my few regrets is selling my Sig 556 patrol rifle. Yeah it was heavy, but it was accurate and drop dead reliable.

- if you own guns in MA you are a felon in waiting. You likely break some law or regulation on a regular basis and don't even know it
- if you are risk adverse, don't own guns in MA
- Healey is a politician who likes to get in front of the camera and play to her base. She is NOT a member of the state legislature or the governor so is in no way involved with the making of laws
- Healey can interpret the laws any way she wants. District Attorneys' make decisions about prosecutions, not the AG
- Healey's press conference and subsequent website postings (which have had over 1000 edits in 4 years) are so full of factual errors as to be a joke
- Some dealer's have located their balls and are ignoring Healey and instead following the actual law as written
- An AR lower is a totally unregulated item, like a paperweight per MGL
- Zero people have been prosecuted for Healey violations (who would want to violate her anyway, gross)
- You must still abide by the AWB in terms of the number of features on your AR
- Back to the previous point, if you are risk adverse, don't own guns in MA

Seems it's working in practice the way she wants it to work by law. Either way, she got what she wanted, less guns in the hands of legal owners.

Back
Top Bottom