• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ar9 AWB clarity for a new rifle guy.

Iveguy82

NES Member
Please forgive the ignorant noob and yes I've searched but you all know there is so much conflicting info being thrown around. I'm just trying to understand more.

Stuck as a MA resident until kids are done school.
I've always been a pistol guy besides a .22 bolt but trying to expand my horizons.

Been thinking about an AR9 build.
Am I correct that with with any AR based build the only real Mass compliant is either pre ban lower or 10 round fixed mag?

But when going the 9mm PCC route there really isn't pre ban correct? If I were to use a new dedicated 9mm lower and built it featureless can I retain removable 10 round glock mags? Which is what I'd like to do but is it still "illegal" because in theory it could still accept higher cap mags?

Again sorry if this makes me sound dense.
Thx.

it was discussed here a million times. state regulates what dealers are allowed to sell. state does not regulate federal restrictions.
those restrictions, still, do exist. if all that makes your head to spin of how to proceed with an AR style weapons - buy a tavor x95. or an SKS. or M1 garand.
or just take your time and figure out what all the options are, it is not that difficult.

I ordered a dedicated AR9 lower from Brownells and used a link on their site to have it shipped to an FFL local to me that was already registered with them. Admittedly, I did not speak to the FFL beforehand but, did call after I received a shipping notice to let them know and they said no problem.
When I went to pick it up, they asked if I was a LEO. I'm not. They refused to complete the transaction as it was an "assault weapon". Got a might testy with me, too. I'll not be back there again.
Called Brownells. They said their lawyers have looked at this from every angle and its perfectly legal. The FFL is just too scared of Maura.
Tried a few other FFL's in the area. They all have the Maura Shakes, too.

I ordered a dedicated AR9 lower from Brownells and used a link on their site to have it shipped to an FFL local to me that was already registered with them. Admittedly, I did not speak to the FFL beforehand but, did call after I received a shipping notice to let them know and they said no problem.
When I went to pick it up, they asked if I was a LEO. I'm not. They refused to complete the transaction as it was an "assault weapon". Got a might testy with me, too. I'll not be back there again.
Called Brownells. They said their lawyers have looked at this from every angle and its perfectly legal. The FFL is just too scared of Maura.
Tried a few other FFL's in the area. They all have the Maura Shakes, too.
In western MA you are likely phuked in terms of finding a FFL that will touch a lower. They apparently are too inbred to read the actual law

Does the ar9 pass the copy/dupe and similarity tests of the Healey bullshit? I haven't looked into it but I don't think it does.

Does the ar9 pass the copy/dupe and similarity tests of the Healey bullshit? I haven't looked into it but I don't think it does.
a) who the eff cares? The law is unchanged and her tests are mental masturbation and nothing more
b) ok, lets play the game. with a side charging upper the answer is yes.
c) back to (a), who the eff cares?

The problem with this question is you first have to believe in the gnomish mysticism of healeyban press conference. And that she won't suddenly just change her mind at random odd intervals.

The problem with this question is you first have to believe in the gnomish mysticism of healeyban press conference. And that she won't suddenly just change her mind at random odd intervals.
It's not a matter of what we think, its what the ffl determines the limit of their risk is.

Road trip in your future. And the best part is the money saved on gas only having to drive across town. Problem solved.

IIRC, the 50oz threshold is a bigger obstacle to overcome for pistol builds than anything else

Back
Top Bottom