• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are all brass casings reloadable?

btnh6668

NES Member
Some people tell me you can reload any brass and some tell me that certain brass cannot be. I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me please.

Most boxer primed brass except AMERC. Well, you can reload amerc... just don't expect good case life, and have a few extra decapping pins on hand... some of them don't even have straight flash holes. [laugh]

-Mike

A lot of people that have weird/very expensive calibers will sometimes reload Berdan primed cases. I've seen it done a couple of times. It looked like a world class PITA. There is a tool that RCBS sells and sometimes people try and hydraulically remove the primer with water. Once you get it out you still have to find Berdan primers. I kinda remember them in the Old Western Scrounger catalog but that was years ago. Not sure where you would get them now.

I don't think it's worth the effort, but like anything with enough money and effort most things are possible.

B

brass

just take a pen lite and look in case if two flash holes its berdan some have three.
OWS is in west virginia.owned by Val fORGETT/NAVY ARMS/GIBBS RIFLE CO.
I have a bunch of 7.35 carcano I am converting.decapped with RCBS berdan decapper.It is to much trouble to convert and few that can be converted.
carcanos can and Jap.but you can buy them except the 7.35.

Most boxer primed brass except AMERC. Well, you can reload amerc... just don't expect good case life, and have a few extra decapping pins on hand... some of them don't even have straight flash holes. [laugh]

-Mike

I actually broke a twelve year record and successfully reloaded 1 (one) piece of .45acp AMERC brass.......I didn't have the heart to fire it as it became a collectable piece at the moment it even guaged correctly!

AMERC brass should be forever considered as THE WORST brass ever to hit the shooting sports.

As you ca ntell, the answer is yes, but no.

Berdan primed cases can be reloaded, and it's expensive and not worth the headache.

Stick to Boxer primed cases, avoid Indian (OFV marked) 7.62 NATO (.308), and you should be OK, with a few exceptions, like the AMERC (as noted above) and .223 military marked CJ (smaller than standard primers).

Back
Top Bottom