Are Streamlight weaponlights 'okay'?

Are Streamlight weaponlights 'okay'?

• Yes they are good to go

Votes: 22 100.0%
  • LOL No. 'Made In China'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A lot of people who only ever own Surefires laugh at Olight weaponlights and cite that they are 'made in China'. Well got me thinking, Streamlight is also 'made in China'. Are they just as bad? Or are they 'okay'? Surefires seem to be final-assembled in the USA but with a mixture of domestic and 'foreign' parts though. Wonder how much that matters.

I ran a ProTac HL-X 1000 lumen light on one of my SBR’s when I lived in a free state, never had any issues with it. I run numerous Streamlight pistol lights going back more than 10 years. Solid products.

Not everything made in China sucks. Especially in the last 10 years the Chinese can do a lot of mid-tier manufacturing pretty well, not just the low end stuff (they sure love that too).

Yeah, the super high end stuff usually still comes from USA, Japan, EU, etc, but do you need a light made out of pure unobtainium?

I wouldn't be overly concerned with it being made in China or parts of it anyways, I'm a huge Fenix, Nitecore guy and they are China part made,they have worked flawlessly.

Optics is where I give pause on in regards to China Made

They flicker under heavy recoil. That’s why I use Surefire, if flickering doesn’t annoy the f*** out of you it’s a perfectly solidly ok light.

They flicker under heavy recoil. That’s why I use Surefire, if flickering doesn’t annoy the f*** out of you it’s a perfectly solidly ok light.
I’ve never had that issue on any of my pistol lights. I only have a sample size of one on the rifle light and not that much night shooting on it. My night rifle shooting was done with my Modlight.

I’ve never had that issue on any of my pistol lights. I only have a sample size of one on the rifle light and not that much night shooting on it. My night rifle shooting was done with my Modlight.
I’ve had people tell me this, my HLX flickers every shot. I’ve heard there are internet hacks to fix it but I’ve never pursued any.

i have a streamlight protac hl usb. 1000 lumen, rechargeable by usb, and i have a spare battery. $125 right now. great light. also have an oldschool surefire e2d with an LED upgrade. buying cr123s sucks.

You didn’t specify what light you’re interested in but so far streamlight has been great for me. Multiple lights and use them quite a bit.
I currently have
2x TRL-1
1x TLR-1s
2x TLR-VIR-II
2x TLR7A

Surefire handgun lights like the X300U are great but a jump up in price. I have one and personally like the streamlight activation switches a little better but it’s probably because I use them a lot more. The newer Turbo model I’ve heard bad things regarding battery life but haven’t used one myself.

I had to send a brand new TLR-VIR-II back under warranty because the adjustment screw wouldn’t move. They sent me a new light within a week.

I don’t own any or their rifle light but I’ve been able to see them used several times. The Protac is a decent light for a cheaper price point. But in my opinion when it comes to rifles lights there are better options available. I lick the Cloud Defensive REIN 2.0 or the Modlight PLHV2.

Last edited:
I have several TLR1 HLs and my main carry has a TLR2 HL with red laser. Been itching to get a green one and some warrior commando guy told me Streamlights are china crap and he only runs Surefire on guns he plans to "trust his life with". I did have the battery compartment break off on my TLR 2, sent it to Streamlight and they fixed it up with a new hinge battery door assembly no questions asked. The customer service is top gotta give em that.

People can argue “but cHiNA” all day long, doesn’t mean they’re not putting out quality gear.
I honestly don’t know where streamlight is made but they put out solid lights at a mid level price.

No different for holosun optics.

If anyone is looking for a deal of Surefire PSA is selling X300U-B for $238.48 with code “FIRE”.
Unfortunately they won’t ship to MA so send it somewhere else.
2B8F60C3-855D-4AAF-859D-B1AEB7BF240E.png

Last edited:
I'd stick with Surefire.

I have a bunch of their flashlights and they are built like tanks!
I have one surefire an ancient 6P with the P60 65 lumen incandescent bulb. Threw in a Chinese XM-L2 LED head and it's a solid light. I guess some might argue it's no longer a true surefire anymore.

People can argue “but cHiNA” all day long, doesn’t mean they’re not putting out quality gear.
I honestly don’t know where streamlight is made but they put out solid lights at a mid level price.

No different for holosun optics.

If anyone is looking for a deal of Surefire PSA is selling X300U-B for $238.48 with code “FIRE”.
Unfortunately they won’t ship to MA so send it somewhere else.
View attachment 686675
Yeah but I want one with a green laser. Is. Surefire really "necessary" at close to $750 after tax compared to say an Olight Baldr R at around $120? If I'm not planning to play SWAT or operate in the sandbox?

Screenshot_20221115_210454_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The most valuable feedback would be from depts/orgs that issued weapon lights to their units at scale, as opposed to anecdotal reports.

Every manufacturer has lemons, the question really is at what rate relative to the quantity they ship overall.

For what it's worth, I have Streamlights and Surefire and neither take any real abuse outside of the occasional bump against the nightstand, so it's difficult to say which is more "durable". I had a Streamlight pen light fail 10 years ago and Streamlight had a replacement on the way within a day, so I appreciate that they back their products.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom