Are the bands really this dead???

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
They're either really dead and have been for weeks, or my shitty antenna is really shittier than I thought. I spin the dial from one end of the band (take your choice) and almost nothing...at all. I know my antenna is a compromise at best (an 80-10 OCFD) but, being a Palomar Engineering OCFD, it's ostensibly one of the "better" ones.

I can't wait until I am in my own place where I can put up much better antennas...six weeks baby!

Just looked around and I'm seeing lots of activity on the scope on 40m and a few on 75m/80m.

Nights on 75/80 have been very staticy.....lots of storms.

Well, it's not the antenna or the radio...it's the computer between the ears (or what's left of it)...my antenna switch was on the ground position because of the possibility of storms. I put it that way before I left for work this morning. [hmmm]

The bands have been less than stellar lately though but I caught a pretty nice 6 meter opening last weekend...I was working out to AZ and CO and other states in the south and midwest. It closed down almost as fast as it opened. It lasted about 45 minutes. I want to set up an SDR parked on 50.125 once I get to MO. A single band all mode 6 meter transceiver would be nice but they are pretty pricey. I used to have an Icom IC-575H years ago but like an idiot, I sold it.

NAQP SSB Going on now Exchange = Name and State @ 100 Watts.

I haven't fired up the shack since NAQP CW-

Well, it's not the antenna or the radio...it's the computer between the ears (or what's left of it)...my antenna switch was on the ground position because of the possibility of storms. I put it that way before I left for work this morning. [hmmm]

The bands have been less than stellar lately though but I caught a pretty nice 6 meter opening last weekend...I was working out to AZ and CO and other states in the south and midwest. It closed down almost as fast as it opened. It lasted about 45 minutes. I want to set up an SDR parked on 50.125 once I get to MO. A single band all mode 6 meter transceiver would be nice but they are pretty pricey. I used to have an Icom IC-575H years ago but like an idiot, I sold it.
Now that brings back memories. Back in the '60s I had a Clegg 99'r with a home brew VFO, a 4 element yagi on the roof and a Saturn 6 halo on the mobile. Fun times. Jack.

NAQP SSB Going on now Exchange = Name and State @ 100 Watts.

I haven't fired up the shack since NAQP CW-
I worked a couple of stations...it's nice there are no stations above 100 watts...but those with beams still have the advantage. Still, the playing field is a little more level.

Back
Top Bottom