• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are there any subcompact .40s I'm missing?

So far I've found the following:

- Glock 27
- Walther PPS .40
- Steyr M40
- Kahr PM40 or CM40

What else is there? The smaller the better.

- Glock 27
- Walther PPS .40
- Steyr M40
- Kahr PM40 or CM40

Have you ever fired a sub-compact .40?

I've shot a few...

I also usto have an AMT back-up in .45 "sub-compact"

I really would recommend you find somebody who has the model(s)

you are interested in & shoot it/them before you buy!

You can add a Sig 229/239 or M&Pc. If you enjoy shooting, (which is why we are part of this forum) the sub 40's IMO are not enjoyable to shoot. The ammo is expensive, (in comparison) and the pressures will eventually pound the gun into some sort of failure. If it's going to be a CCW that lives 95% of it's life in a holster, and your combat accurate with it, then it's more than adequate.

Last edited:
Have you ever fired a sub-compact .40?

I own a Walther PPS .40. To be honest, I don't really get why people are so offended by the .40 caliber snap in a subcompact. It's not a "range" gun, but it's more than bearable and accurate. For personal protection, I don't think I give up too much going up to a .40 in terms of recoil and handling. It's worth it to me.

Additionally, I'm the kind of person who likes to streamline things. I'm not going to do 9mm and .40. I decided to choose one and go with it.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's going to be a CCW that lives 95% of it's life in a holster, and your combat accurate with it, then it's more than adequate.

yes

Sr40c, I haven't shot it but its an option. I love my sr9c.

I'm not sure that would be consider "subcompact." I hate to split hairs, but from what I've noticed, most subcompacts are around, or under, 6 inches in overall length, and around or under 4.5 inches tall overall. The Sr40c looks to be a "compact," which typically run a bit bigger.

I carry a G27 and shoot it often at the range. I have pretty big hands, and have no issues holding onto it. I know a lot of people complain about the recoil on it, but it's a gun, it's supposed to recoil. In my opinion, it's the best option for a sub compact .40

I carry a G27 and shoot it often at the range. I have pretty big hands, and have no issues holding onto it. I know a lot of people complain about the recoil on it, but it's a gun, it's supposed to recoil. In my opinion, it's the best option for a sub compact .40

+1
I like my G27. I have average hands and I would not want to shoot this gun all day long. But I like the .40 - 9mm is great for bear but the .40 is just right for gophers. -

Sr 40c is almost a clone in size to the G27. And in some parts of the grip its slimmer. Ive fired it vs the g27 and i find it a very comfortable shooter.

I would think a sub compact 40 would be a last resort gun. I have a PM9 and with the 6 round magazine in it, you really have to hang on to that little sucker! I can't imagine what it would be like in 40

Kel Tec P-40 if you can find one, IIRC they dont make them any more. Same frame as a P-11, different slide/barrel. I dont own one, have never seen one, and dont want one. This is for information only[laugh]

Kel Tec P-40 if you can find one, IIRC they dont make them any more. Same frame as a P-11, different slide/barrel. I dont own one, have never seen one, and dont want one. This is for information only[laugh]

I spent some time on the Keltec users group researching a pf9. It appears they're very tolerant of parts needing to be replaced because they break. That kinda deflated the hype of how small they are for me.

Idk, I havent had any issues with the P-11 except a lost rear sight (My fault) and they replaced it for free. I only bought it because of the price (it was a steal), figured I would sell it. Decided I liked it as a pocket gun and kept it. AS to parts being replaced, I cant speak for the PF9, but I got bored and took the P-11 apart. Not too many parts that can go wrong in there.

- Glock 27
- Walther PPS .40
- Steyr M40
- Kahr PM40 or CM40

The Steyr M40 really isn't a subcompact, if you have that on the list you need to put the G23 on the list, too- it's in the same class. Those are mid size guns.

-Mike

Don't forget P239 SAS Gen2 40S&W made in Germany

P239-SAS-Gen2TT-detail-bty.jpg
P239-SAS-Gen2TT-detail-R.jpg

The P239 is not a subcompact. It is similar in size to a Glock 19 (a compact) not to a Glock 26 (a subcompact).

I'm pretty sure that guy is some kind of rep or bot on behalf of Sig Sauer... he posted some other Sig in my thread about .45 compacts along the same lines.

The Steyr M40 really isn't a subcompact, if you have that on the list you need to put the G23 on the list, too- it's in the same class. Those are mid size guns.

-Mike

The Steyr S40-A1 is the subcompact version.

On another note: Couldn't imagine shooting the Keltec P11 in a 40, i got the 9mm version and no one likes shooting it cause of the recoil, i just wait for it to explode in my hand!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that guy is some kind of rep or bot on behalf of Sig Sauer... he posted some other Sig in my thread about .45 compacts along the same lines.
@retrolLS1 just so happens that I own what i was posted is it not allowed just let me know so I can ask the mods to delete. I thought our opinion is our freedom to share as long that I never hurt somebody's feeling like you did. any way thank you for your comments!

The Steyr S40-A1 is the subcompact version.

No, it's not. It's still basically the same size as a G23. I guess they can call it "Subcompact" all they want, but if they do it is kind of hilarious. It'd be like calling a Winnebago motorhome a pop up trailer.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom