• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are there places to safely and legally shoot other than gun clubs in MA?

Back when I used to live in the lovely "gun-friendly" state of California you could drive for a couple of hours to get to BLM land. That's government owned land, managed by Bureau of Land Management. There were rules to follow, basically don't litter and don't do things that are stupid and/or unsafe. So long as you followed the rules you could shoot, including ranges that most clubs don't have, like 1000 yards and more.

I am a member of a club, which is currently closed due to COVID-19 pandemic. Besides, given the current situation, I don't feel like being around people other than my family anyway. Is there a place where I can legally and safely shoot, other than a gun club? I have a MA LTC, but I don't have a hunting license.

Was when I was young and dinosaurs ruled the earth. Now those areas are all mini-mansions with Warren and save the planet yard signs.

Don't forget that the state and federal forests in NH are relatively close and legal provided you comply with state law. (which I beleive is 300 ft from a road, or 300 ft from a building if there are 6 or more buildings within 300 ft of each other)

About 25 years ago, a then high school buddy of mine brought me out to Berlin, MA, about a 40 minute drive from where we lived. There was a field in the middle of nowhere that was obviously used by the town folk for shooting, as evidenced by all the spent 12ga shells on the ground and targets by the berm. The only thing I recall was having to cross a very shallow steam in the car to get there. Spent the afternoon shooting his two 12ga shotguns. Not one person stopped by, which was probably a good thing as we were all 18 and he was the only one with a license at the time. The jerk started my 2A experience off with slugs. lol.

In any case, I'd love to know if that place still exists. Doubt it, but damn if that wasn't fun to shoot outdoors in such a open-air configuration.

I've used to find spent shotgun shells in Cutler Park in Needham when I was a kid. As recently as a couple years ago I found a few by the railroad tracks there. I'm not recommending that anybody try shooting there though. Needham has taken a dim view on shooting as far back as the 60s. My grandfather and his brother got chewed out by the local cops for shooting their milsurp M1 Carbines at the Nike site sand pit in Needham back then.

means something else in these parts...

didn't realize california was all that gun friendly
Northern California is in essence a whole different ball game. California should be divided into two states....north California and south California. But the Dems would NEVER allow that without a fight ... If it happened it would destroy their super high electoral college vote (55) lock up in that state.

Northern California is in essence a whole different ball game. California should be divided into two states....north California and south California. But the Dems would NEVER allow that without a fight ... If it happened it would destroy their super high electoral college vote (55) lock up in that state.
yep, everything you said...very true. when you hear the national stage democrats in washington yelling for the end of the electoral vote and go with popular vote it's nothing but crickets at the state level in california. it's the only time nancy whispers instead of talking over everybody else.

Its odd... California has very strict rules and also some very friendly rules.

Get outside of the crazy commie big cities on the coast and tons of open land and gun friendly areas.

As for shooting outdoors here... check town bylaws because the state laws regarding it aren't that hard to meet.

Back
Top Bottom