• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are You a "Super Gun Owner"

Well, considering I remember reading about a guy that took a lot of elephants with a .303, that means I've got at least one, myself. [emoji1]

And, a few countries don't allow that from what I hear.

It's said more elephants have been killed with a .303, than any other caliber. But, it doesn't make it smart. I'll stick to using the .458 Win for that, if need be.

On a side note, I love it when people ask what I need something like that for in North America.

Know what the biggest land predator is? Know where they live?

Polar bear, and they live in North America, northern Asia and northern Europe. They eat seals and slow Eskimos. They have been known to track down and eat people.

"The key number was 14% of all gun owners, or 7.62mm adults and 3% of the total U.S. population, possessed 50% of all guns owned by civilians in the country."

Interesting numbers

Not an exact quote, but - statistics are often used as a drunkard uses a lamppost, for support rather than for illumination.

Jeez, how many guys do you know that have a couple of elephant guns? Other than me, of course.

Nickle,

There was an effective big game study several decades or so ago where the theory put forth was that it was bullet mass and penetration that mattered more than velocity when it came to taking big game animals.

As a result of that finding, several (I would refer to them as complete morons with balls the size of Kansas) gentlemen took to Africa with various large caliber handguns sporting massive handloads. .44 Magnum to .475 Linebaugh were used to engage both elephant and cape buffalo. In all cases, the calibers were effective in harvesting the game, while the suffering time did vary widely. This occurred before the .500 Smith and Wesson Magnum was introduced, but that cartridge in a factory load has also been found able to complete the job.

While certainly not humane, and hardly likely to stop a charging animal, there is at least one documented case of a .22 taking an elephant. The animal was shot in a major leg artery and simply bled out.

In effect, while I'd certainly not want to be testing the matter, a good number of us in effect own and use "Elephant Guns". That something is technically possible is, however, hardly a measure of what is ideal. One can certainly argue that a 9mm has the ability with the proper shot placement to kill a Grizzly Bear, you won't be finding me specifically seeking that situation to attempt.

That said, if your intent was to channel your inner Bert Gummer in your classification of firearm phallic figure, the Nitro cartridge family is still a fairly elite membership to be sure.

Jeez, how many guys do you know that have a couple of elephant guns?
I only have one, but do I get bonus points because it is a 50BMG semi auto?

Or, do I get bonus points as a super gun owner for owning two 38 Supers.

I only have one, but do I get bonus points because it is a 50BMG semi auto?

Nope. In every African country that issue big game licenses to non-resident tourists, they emphatically state the following in their regulations:

"No automatic or semi-automatic firearms are allowed"

Thus, your Barrett is in fact specifically disqualified as an "Elephant Gun".

Sorry Rob.

Or, do I get bonus points as a super gun owner for owning two 38 Supers.

You are selling yourself short. Not only do you have .38 Super, but also .38 Special. This puts you into the Super Special category. I'm sure there are quite a few Super Gun Owners out there that find themselves with Special Needs issues.

Thus, your Barrett is in fact specifically disqualified as an "Elephant Gun".

Sorry Rob.
Actually, it's a Serbu 50A.

And I have no interest in hunting elephants or anything else. If it weren't for the MA storage laws, I could consider mounting my Sebu in a case labeled "In case of elephant break glass".

That said, if your intent was to channel your inner Bert Gummer in your classification of firearm phallic figure, the Nitro cartridge family is still a fairly elite membership to be sure.

Nah, it was more an attempt at humor, obviously a crappy attempt. The whole "super" stuff is hilarious.

I do know it's said more elephants have been downed with a 303 British (likely in an SMLE) than any other caliber.

FWIW, I didn't buy the stuff to hunt elephants with, I bought it because I can, and I've wanted one. Just like why I bought my Win 52, which is a 22 Long Rifle. I punch holes in paper with it, that is what it was made for.

And, Rob, we really have to go shooting. I've got that 50's slightly smaller brother.

Actually, it's a Serbu 50A.

And I have no interest in hunting elephants or anything else. If it weren't for the MA storage laws, I could consider mounting my Sebu in a case labeled "In case of elephant break glass".

Why not? All you have to do is lock the case... then it's in a locked case.

In my mind, a 'Super Gun' would be something like the GAU-8... That gun is sofa king super, they had to build a plane around it... I believe they also use them in the AC-130...

"Super Collectors" back in the news:

Just 3% of Americans own more than half the country's guns

Just 3% of Americans own more than half the country's guns

3% of Americans owning about 20% of the world’s stockpile of firearms.

[thumbsup]

aKzmwN3_700b.jpg

I want superguns. Hook me up.

If Obama or the state of MA doesn't want me to have it, I want 5 of them. Whatever they or it is. This applies to anything. If they chose to ban or try to ban it, it's probably something I want or need.

Back
Top Bottom