• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AREDN Mesh Networking

Hi,

I've been poking around with AREDN mesh networking.

AREDN^1 reuses inexpensive, off-the-shelf point-to-(multi)point wifi devices with custom firmware to form an ad-hoc network (call it a mini-internet) that can carry any service you could carry on the internet. (At the moment, I've got meshchat and a raspberry pi running meshmap, although the latter isn't being incredibly reliable - I'll put more time into services if other people connect up)

From a prepping perspective, I think it's valuable, but as time goes on, I think this kind of network is going to become a bigger deal around the 6g timeframe (~8 years) - allowing individuals to cooperatively 'route around' a compromised internet.

To that end, I've set up a couple of antennas, including a 2.4ghz at the top of the rotational mast with my yagi so I can try honing in on people. It seems to be functional in and amongst themselves, although if there is still another nearby aredn node (as indicated by the map, although the entry hasn't been updated since 2019), I can't hit it from where I am.

^1(I've been pronouncing it Arden in my head, like the mythical forest from Shakespeare)

I am using Channel 149 and 165 on 5ghz and Channel -2 on 2.4 (this represents a ham-only channel. although I'm willing to switch around for any intrepid non-hams).

I've plugged in what I think are conservative values for my coverage area (it assumes that your antenna is only 6ft off the ground with marginal gain), if anybody is interested in playing with it.
If you're even marginally technical, just anal-retentively following the firmware loading instructions will get you there (I've done it like 8 times now, and I made all the mistakes, can write a shortcut post, if you wish).

5Ghz:
1628558640000.png

2.4ghz:

1628558682363.png

Cool! I had fun with the HSMM-Mesh stuff years ago. I may still have the pile of WRT-54g's around.
It was pretty fun, had at least 2 buddies within range... Streamed cameras and we meshed N1MM-Logger = the highlights...

Have fun!

So what is the maximum usable distance from one point to another? Using say a just slightly directional antenna?

So what is the maximum usable distance from one point to another? Using say a just slightly directional antenna?
That's pretty vague, so, as a guess, maximum maybe 30km with 13dbi gain for 5ghz. Realistically, it will likely actually come down to elevation/LOS losses, unless one of them happens to be on a mountain peak.

What's the security protocol?
No cryptography allowed over ham frequencies, it's all supposed to be cleartext (so, http:// instead of https://, and the like). As for the consumer frequencies, I couldn't say if there is any special restriction. The OSLR is all cleartext and unconfirmed (like BGP used to be back in the trusting old days). Regardless, in an actual SHTF situation, there would be zero technical problem turning on https and using your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine which cipher stream is least easily cracked.

That said, this would be a good research platform to test security - implementing encoding (encoding without obfuscating is allowed) onto which you could just drop-in encryption allows you to validate the system will function.

Due to my background, I've previously seen a whole lot of benefit to free-exchange adhoc networking, but really leveraging it has been kind of suppressed BC of various FUD campaigns and some intentionally weakened security architectures. There is more security to be had.

(Also, I can't help but mention, when I was answering your question, the only thing I could think of was "What's the frequency, Kenneth?")

I was looking up AREDN about a year ago but didn't pull the trigger on anything because it appeared I would mostly be "talking" to myself. There was a good amount of cheap equipment on ebay at the time. I'm located just beyond the top left corner of you 2.4 GHz map though and we would need a few hops between us to create a network. Tall trees around me would also be an issue without a significant tower investment. If this gets some traction though, count me in for trying something. I would love to see a robust AREDN mesh set up for HAMS and it would have a pretty significant EmComm impact for backup.

There is a perfect water tower close by that is only used as a radio tower now. Would be interesting to approach the town and see what is involved in approval. That has good visibility of West Boylston, most of Worcester and beyond that isn't in the shade of another hill.

Back
Top Bottom