• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Arisaka Type 99 restored from a Sporter.

Since I have been sick, I have been slowly working on the a Japanese Arisaka Rifle Type 99(see first Picture) it came with a cut off stock and no hand guard, all the metal parts were spray painted Black and parts missing. Well I got a repairable stock and a Hand Guard(ended up two different colors) blended the stain so that they would match I didn't want to take away the dings and scratches in the stock so it was only stripped and steel wool rubbed. I did not want it too shiny so I only used one coat of Tung Oil and so far 7 coats of hand rubbed Johnson's Paste Wax. I cleaned all the paint off the metal parts (with the best thing to remove paint and leave the metal finish intact Repel Insect Repellent) and oiled them. It went from something that was going to be destroyed to something that I am Proud to own. I received the dust cover and that has been installed. Another one to the collection. The other rifle in the first picture is a 1916 Enfield I just received the front wood and I am working on that now.
01.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 9.jpg 9a.jpg

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 46
Looks good.....it's nice to recover them. I did a,1903a3 rescue few years ago. I have 2 99s great guns.

I have a Type 99 that the guy who brought it back in WWII started to sporter it. It still has the airplane sights, helps when shooting ducks, and the dust cover but he chopped the handguard and ground down the front sights.

I am looking (slowly) for a new stock but the question I have is the front sight, I notice that you didn't put back the ears on the front sight. Would that be an easy, or at least doable?

2-46%20Arisaka_zpskh9iqhpz.jpg

DSC00844_zpsyxhwyegn.jpg

DSC00845_zpsjlfj7mia.jpg

DSC00848_zpsxckdsbhd.jpg

DSC00843_zpsvuvnikgr.jpg

DSC00847_zpss2upobgu.jpg

The front sight is all one part you have to cut the ears of to remove them.I don't know why so many rifles have that done to them.You can removed the sight by punching out the drift pin on the side. You have to look real good because they did a nice job of blending it in,so it's hard to find.Once the pin is out you might want to heat the sight some so you can remove it.Ebay under Japanese type 99 has some stock sets.There is also liberty tree collectors,and Japanese military firearm parts.They have a lot of Jap. rifle parts.Since you have a full mum,it would be worth putting it all back to military configuration.

Last edited:
Came out good. Always had an interest in these rifles, we don't see much on them unfortunately.

NavelOfficer
That is a great article! That as much as anything had helped be decide to restore the Type 99 that I have., It already has the intact mum and the aircraft sights and the dust cover, I only need the stock, the middle barrel band and monopod and the front cap for the front barrel band and a new front sight with ears.

Back
Top Bottom