• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Armed Patrol Groups

This is interesting.

When budget woes reduced the sheriff's department in one rural Oregon county to a bare-bones force, residents decided to take matters into their own hands -- creating armed patrol groups in defiance of local officials.

Their decision has raised safety concerns with the county government, which would prefer residents instead hike their own taxes to fund the hiring of trained deputies. But despite the risks, the move stands as a unique, some would say innovative, response to one of the country's most severe local budget crunches.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ed-ore-county-guts-sheriff/?intcmp=latestnews

Discuss...

Last edited:
Seriously, choosing between people who have a vested interest in keeping their area safe and the police, I'd choose the people, as long as they don't go all HOA bullshitty on the neighborhood.

12 posts and this thread is already derailed.

If the cops can't do the job then somebody should pick up the slack imo. It's a typical liberal ploy to cut money for the most valuable services provided in order to force people to comply.

Police get away with stuff a citizen could ever dream of getting away with.

I'm familiar with Josephine County. It's right over the hills from me. I know a lot of people from the area quite well.

If I were a criminal, I'd rather the Sheriff's catch me than the locals. There's millions of acres of nowhere around here, and no shortage of men that know it like the backs of their hands. Neighbors take care of neighbors out here. Law enforcement protects and serves their communities out here, too (hard to believe in 2013, I know, but we're still in America out here), but law enforcement in unincorporated areas is scant to nonexistent.

In short, you know not of what you speak. You hate law enforcement. We get that. I've been angry about parking tickets too. But on this particular topic - you're a dumbass.

I find it hard to believe that the ONLY solution is to raise taxes and throw that money at the problem.

It's not the only solution. The county I live in is fast approaching the same dilemma. Two public safety levies in the past year have failed. The problem is, while a levy or tax isn't the only solution, it very well may be the best. It's not just the Sheriff's Department that's hurting - it's ALL county programs. Thanks to legislative protections of spotty-turd nesting owls or some shit, the logging industry has been devastated here. That was the major employer. Unemployment is huge, and with government mandated unemployment comes a surge on county programs and resources. The only county program with anything to spare right now is the road fund, and from what I read in the papers, the roadmaster is pitching a fit that anyone is even eyeing it. It's a sad situation all around. The moonbats and their godfathers in Congress have absolutely kicked the hell out of these communities to make sure a couple birds can shit on the same leaves, rather than sustain a thriving industry on renewable natural resources. This isn't MA out here. These people are taking every bit of work they can find to try to make ends meet, and still giving to their neighbors who aren't as fortunate.

Problem is, this is timber country. That's what there is out here for work. And right now it isn't there because the .gov was more concerned with a couple hippies shedding tears for the rare double breasted dork dangler's seasonal habitat than the livelihood of humans and their communities that supported a renewable resource industry. It's sad.

But back to the point - yeah, better to get caught by Johnny Law out here than by a homeowner and their buddies.

It's not the only solution. The county I live in is fast approaching the same dilemma. Two public safety levies in the past year have failed. The problem is, while a levy or tax isn't the only solution, it very well may be the best. It's not just the Sheriff's Department that's hurting - it's ALL county programs. Thanks to legislative protections of spotty-turd nesting owls or some shit, the logging industry has been devastated here. That was the major employer. Unemployment is huge, and with government mandated unemployment comes a surge on county programs and resources. The only county program with anything to spare right now is the road fund, and from what I read in the papers, the roadmaster is pitching a fit that anyone is even eyeing it. It's a sad situation all around. The moonbats and their godfathers in Congress have absolutely kicked the hell out of these communities to make sure a couple birds can shit on the same leaves, rather than sustain a thriving industry on renewable natural resources. This isn't MA out here. These people are taking every bit of work they can find to try to make ends meet, and still giving to their neighbors who aren't as fortunate.

Problem is, this is timber country. That's what there is out here for work. And right now it isn't there because the .gov was more concerned with a couple hippies shedding tears for the rare double breasted dork dangler's seasonal habitat than the livelihood of humans and their communities that supported a renewable resource industry. It's sad.

But back to the point - yeah, better to get caught by Johnny Law out here than by a homeowner and their buddies.

The money is going somewhere, it's not there or here.

The money is going somewhere, it's not there or here.

Sure is - much higher demand on county services means higher costs. Higher demand is due to higher unemployment, which, in turn, means less revenue. More expenses, less revenue. Then the double whammy of the O&C timber payments from the .gov to the counties being cut off (which is, as I understand it, fair - if the land isn't being logged, well...)

Long term fix is to get people back to work. Short term fix is money from somewhere. These departments aren't posturing - they truly are that broke. Some of the laid off deputies are personal friends of mine.

I'm fortunate to live within a city that has an outstanding municipal police department, so it doesn't directly affect me TOO much. Still indirectly affects me since it draws the tweakers to the area like methed out moths to a flame, and our neighborhood has been seemingly cased. Good neighbors and due precautions help, though.

Back
Top Bottom