Army and Marine Corps Are Closing In on Dumping Brass-Cased Ammo

While I laud the innovation, I step back and ask: "How will this effect the ammunition industry in general?..."

That would be great for consumers like me who don't reload though, if they were cheaper and lighter. If they were cheaper than brass to buy,
cheaper to ship, easier to carry to the range.

For people who like to reload though, not so great

"Change begets Change..."

This ammo looks like it could/will replace brass ammo in the near future...

My prediction is that this innovation will also change the shape of the cases themselves. Maybe less space is wasted in a magazine by making the rounds
'square' or 'triangular' shaped for better stacking (more rounds per magazine. If you can change the ammo, you can change the chamber shape down the road too...

I can hear Congress now: "Only the Military and Police can have "Triangular Ammo!'
When a Law is passed that "Only 'Triangular Ammo" can be manufactured, how much longer will the companies continue to make it, and at what cost?

And are they still called... Rounds?

~Enbloc

That would be great for consumers like me who don't reload though, if they were cheaper and lighter. If they were cheaper than brass to buy,

Depends on what the cost is for say, a 5.56 nato, or .308 case ready to load. If it causes the fundamental cost to plummet, it can just be a cheap
consumable instead of this thing where you have to spend an inordinate amount of prep time to reload.

-Mike

New type of ammo will only work in new type guns, initially only full auto. It's going to be a while before this trickles into the civilian market.

It's all hype still until they get all our Nato and Seato Partners shooting the same ammo. Can you imagine the Logistical nightmare of suppling a Multi-National Force with mixed supplies of Ammo in a War time environment? Until we supply all Those logistical partners with new weaponry it's not going to happen

There must be enough ammo stockpiled to last a few years or so unless we have a couple more big battles. Ill probobly be dead or close to it before i have to worry about it......

There must be enough ammo stockpiled to last a few years or so unless we have a couple more big battles. Ill probobly be dead or close to it before i have to worry about it......
That's the spirit!

"Change begets Change..."

This ammo looks like it could/will replace brass ammo in the near future...

My prediction is that this innovation will also change the shape of the cases themselves. Maybe less space is wasted in a magazine by making the rounds
'square' or 'triangular' shaped for better stacking (more rounds per magazine. If you can change the ammo, you can change the chamber shape down the road too...

I can hear Congress now: "Only the Military and Police can have "Triangular Ammo!'
When a Law is passed that "Only 'Triangular Ammo" can be manufactured, how much longer will the companies continue to make it, and at what cost?

And are they still called... Rounds?

~Enbloc

Trounds

Isn't the military still sending used brass through the shredder?

I used to live about 20 miles from Red River Army Deport, and it made for a big stink when they had to start destroying brass instead of selling it.
Only a few years ago they sold it as "scrap" through the gov site. It's wasn't shredded or otherwise damaged. A couple years ago I was looking into commercial reloading, that was going to be my source for 556, 762 and 9. Did they stop doing that?

It would be just what the anti gunners want. Less citizen friendly gunsmithing.

haven't we been down this path before? i seem to remember talk of this pops up every several years.

Back
Top Bottom