Army recruiter crosses the line (literally).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I filled out a form to get them to stop bugging my son. They started calling in the week after is 18th birthday because he is an adult

The Air Force offered my sister a commission if she could get me to sign up. The Nuclear Navy did the same.
She did not live at home at the time... She was a live-in Nanny nearly an hours drive away, and NOT in the armed forces.

Did your daughter take the ASVAB test? I'd wager she did.
I was one of the screwed guys who had to sign up in 1980 as part of Jimmy Carter's Selective Service revival. Well, I had just lost my right to drink beer legally the year before, so I did some thinking. Well, not mature enough to drink beer with friends, but legal enough to become cannon fodder? No brainer, there. I refused to register, changed my driver's license address to a PO box and remained silent. Other friends did the same. The less .gov knows about your personal business, the better!

There are both enlisted and officer options to help with school/career. But she knows this already of course, and about all the options that were never mentioned whatsoever in high school.

One big problem I had with recruiting (at least back in the 90s) is they didn't seem interested in making anyone into an officer. I spent a small amount of time with a navy recruiter and one from the army, and whenever I asked about certain kinds of jobs/MOSes (that were either specialized or required officer training) the conversation was ultimately steered back to enlisting. I didn't like the used car salesman pitch (even I saw right through it) and that pretty much ended the conversations I had with those guys.

The other problem I have with it now is a bunch of elected ****faces seem to enjoy not giving a shit about expending the lives of good people on stupid crap in a bunch of 3rd world shitholes (while paying contractors billions to **** up their laundry and give them electrified showers) but that's a wholly separate can of garbage. Even given that if I had a child I would encourage them to make their own decision on the service as long as it was fully informed.

-Mike

You need a college degree to commission. For many, that isn't an option right out the door. There are plenty of enlisted to commissioned programs out there, but they are reserved for qualified applicants. Also, there are ROTC programs that will pay for your college education once you are contracted.

Also, there is much more of a need for enlisted men than officers. The Marine Corps has become so selective with their officers at this point I know vets working on their masters degrees with perfect fitness scores that have been waiting YEARS and even turned down all together.

Mike

I was one of the screwed guys who had to sign up in 1980 as part of Jimmy Carter's Selective Service revival. Well, I had just lost my right to drink beer legally the year before, so I did some thinking. Well, not mature enough to drink beer with friends, but legal enough to become cannon fodder? No brainer, there. I refused to register, changed my driver's license address to a PO box and remained silent. Other friends did the same. The less .gov knows about your personal business, the better!

That might have worked then, but the data mining is *much* better now.

Why is going door to door out of line... There is a lot of anti-military propaganda in the northeast, especially in schools, and from parents (see the OP for example).

Where exactly​ did you see anti-military propaganda on my part?

Why do you feel it necessary to speak on behalf of your ADULT daughter?

not ADULT enough to drink fermented fruits.

shit you are still not adult enough to smoke weed or own your own body.

.... I didn't like the used car salesman pitch (even I saw right through it) and that pretty much ended the conversations I had with those guys. ...

If the kid wants to learn about service, options and benefits, she is much better offer talking to people on this forum than talking to a recruiter who is motivated to fill his quotas. If I had a nickel for every story I heard about recruits getting boned for not getting their "promises" in writing ...

The Military has many fantastic opportunities if you are motivated. All these over educated/underemployed twentysomethings should be looking at the Military instead of living in Moms basement and complaining about the lack of good jobs. Active duty will pay off up to 60k of student loans, train you, feed and cloth you and give you free health care and 30 days of leave per year. And please, knock off the crap about being sent to the sandbox to be cannon fodder. It's called the Armed Forces for a reason and 90% of the jobs are non-combat related and the Military is all volunteer.

No offense but you sound pretty paranoid. Whats your problem he was just inquiring into your daughters interest in joining, doing his job hes paid to do. You sound pretty anti-military if you ask me......
You come on here complaining about it like he violate your rights or something, from what I read he did nothing of the such.

No offense but you sound pretty paranoid. Whats your problem he was just inquiring into your daughters interest in joining, doing his job hes paid to do. You sound pretty anti-military if you ask me......
You come on here complaining about it like he violate your rights or something, from what I read he did nothing of the such.
He forgot to mention, he brought delicious MRE cookies! Soooo....

[video=youtube_share;C6cxNR9ML8k]http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k[/video]

The recruiter is an agent of the government that barged into his home without permission. That right there would be enough to get me all riled up.

Anti-military was perhaps the wrong term... But your post comes off as so defensive and so eager to show that the military is not for your daughter, period.

Mike

This. OP sounds a little high strung. Daughter probably either filled something out at school or approached the recruiter. They likely either didn't list a telephone number or changed numbers. Recruiter was likely going through old leads and was following up based on last contact. It's not unusual for prospects who's last contact was "going to college" to revisit joining the service after their first year of college.

He's not the police. He's not out to violate anyone's privacy. He probably is typically welcomed at the door. He's not used to tin foil DON'T GIVE HIM ANY INFO AND GET OFF MY PROPERTY types. He likely saw something that he interpreted as an invitation, but probably certainly didn't intend to offend.

Simply taking his business card and forwarding it to his daughter in case she WAS interested certainly seems like a better resolution than being rude to the recruiter and denying his daughter the opportunity to answer for herself.

- - - Updated - - -

The recruiter is an agent of the government that barged into his home without permission. That right there would be enough to get me all riled up.

I'd be willing to bet it wasn't quite as dramatic as portrayed.

Yesterday I was in my home office on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] floor when the door bell rings. I start walking out to try and get the door but my wife was faster (she was on the first floor), so I just stopped outside my office to listen. A man asks for my oldest daughter (by name). My wife answers him “oh, she’s not home, she’s still in college”. He tells her something which I couldn't understand, and she continues to answer “she’ll be home later this week...”

At this point I feel my hair start sticking out, blood pressure going high, I tell my wife (not in English) “STOP providing information!!” as I start walking down the stairs. I reach the half point where I can see the door, my wife gives me this “what’s your problem” look, and I see an army sergeant (couldn’t tell which branch) stands outside and holding the storm door with one hand and a briefcase in the other. I ask him what does he want, he says they are checking on kids who graduated high school last year. I stopped him and told him she is not interested. He then proceeds and walks INTO the house and continues to talk “oh, that’s fine, we’re just checking to see where they are with their lives, what they are doing”.
Blood pressure keeps going up. I did NOT invite you to my house, so get the **** out!
I told him “We’re fine, thank you very much!” in a very stern and assertive tone. Seems like he got the message, he said thank you and left. My wife says he drove a car with a gov. plate.

After he left I asked my wife (kind’a pissed) “What the hell was that?? Why are you providing information to him? Who is he??”. She said “I don’t know, I guess I got confused”. She was probably intimidated by the uniform/authority.
I tell her “Do you know that if a police officer knocks on the door and starts asking question you have NO obligation to answer?”
She says “no, I didn’t know that”.
I went back to my office, took the BUST card that was in one of the recent threads (Thanks @MaverickNH) and told her to make sure she reads it A to Z.

I am still furious at what happened. Both at the chutzpa of this sergeant for coming into the house uninvited and at my wife's "free speech" [frown]

If you want to lodge a complaint, do a google search for Armed Forces Recruiting Center. There should be only one covering your area and generally all 4 branches of the military will have their recruiting offices there. Each recruiting office will have a Station Commander and that is who you need to speak with.

It should be simple enough to narrow down which branch came to your door. Was the recruiter in Dress Uniform or duty uniform?

The branch of service that the "Army" Sergeant is in is the Army.

Beat me to it.

Bold assumption based on facts not in evidence, but this is NES so BOYCOTT!!!!!!!1!!!!

Don't care what anyone says here, paranoid or not, you push into my house past the threshold without being asked to come in and you ARE going to have a problem, a big one.

All I can go on is what the OP reported. Who said anything about boycott?

Do you think that maybe, possibly, just perhaps, chatty Kathy wife gave this mysterious branchless Army sergeant permission before the OP came running out of his office? No, couldn't be that simple.

And the OP can read rank insignia but doesn't know the difference between uniforms?

And the recruiter just happened to be in the neighborhood so he just decided to go door to door cold calling?

Sometimes you guys are pretty gullible.

Last edited:
Lots of smart, reasonable people posting in this thread. Most of them even seem to know what they're talking about ITO military programs and recruiting. I'd say the OP would do well to pay attention to them, and stop thinking he knows all the answers when he admits he's not even sure he can identify which of the armed services he's mad at.

Your daughter probably took a lanyard or a keychain from a recruiter during lunch at school last year. The fine print says they can try to track her down and see if she's still interested. It's how the game is played. It's easy for her to say "No" if she's not interested in putting on a uniform.

Yeah you should definitely screw this guy over and call his command because your wife was talking politely with him until you came downstairs and freaked out.

Mike

Yeah you should definitely screw this guy over and call his command because your wife was talking politely with him until you came downstairs and freaked out.

Mike

This. Call and demand his badge.

After re-reading, it sounds like the OP was talking to the recruiter, but the recruiter couldn't see him from where he was standing so stepped forward so as to be able see him...which actually seems like the polite thing to do...

he couldn't see me (the door kind'a blocked his view), that's when he moved forward and stepped into the house.

Is this him?

1321891141-salvationarmy.jpg

Do you think that maybe, possibly, just perhaps, chatty Kathy wife gave this mysterious branchless Army sergeant permission before the OP came running out of his office? No, couldn't be that simple.

And the OP can read rank insignia but doesn't know the difference between uniforms?

And the recruiter just happened to be in the neighborhood so he just decided to go door to door cold calling?

Sometimes you guys are pretty gullible.

I will admit that half of the OPs post sounds like "much ado about nothing" ZOMG A RECRUITER THEY ARE GONNA BRAINWASH MY CHILD!!!!

It is possible this is in play, too.....

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
After re-reading, it sounds like the OP was talking to the recruiter, but the recruiter couldn't see him from where he was standing so stepped forward so as to be able see him...which actually seems like the polite thing to do...

That's impossible!!!! It makes too much sense!!!! Don't be bringing logic into this. Next thing you know you'll be asking things like why him and his wife have a dramatically different protocol for greeting "guests" and why it might be a good idea for them to, agree or some kind of protocol... but that, would just be blasphemous!

-Mike

He's not the police. He's not out to violate anyone's privacy. He probably is typically welcomed at the door. He's not used to tin foil DON'T GIVE HIM ANY INFO AND GET OFF MY PROPERTY types. He likely saw something that he interpreted as an invitation, but probably certainly didn't intend to offend.

I'd be willing to bet it wasn't quite as dramatic as portrayed.

+1 What Martlet said. The dude is probably welcomed politely wherever he goes and thought someone gave him an unspoken invite inside. Your wife was being pretty nice to him. I don't think any tinfoil is needed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom