• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Army

1. Be in better physical condition than anyone else.
2. Volunteer for nothing - but when given a task, do the best job humanly possible.
3. Always support your buddies, even if you get dumped on.
4. Never lie - to anyone... about anything.
5. Never give up.

Army basic is day camp. If you are not fat you will have 3 ribbons upon graduation.

This. Basic isnt what it was when I went through. I hear they dont yell anymore, or put "too much" stress on you. Get used to running A LOT. I was really good at running by the time basic was over...too bad I hate running more than anything else on this planet.

Sent from my Verizon Commando Smartphone

Yea I heard Benning is the only boot camp you guys have worth a crap lol. Regardless, it is such a small part of your career, just make it through without getting in trouble and you'll be fine, even if your DIs were complete pussies. But not everyone can be Marines.

On a serious note, you've chosen a pretty tough MOS these days, good luck and start practicing posting on NES with a pen in your mouth. Stay safe.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

It seems basic isn' t what it was back in '67. It definitely wasn't a cake walk back then. Whether the advise about not volunteering is good advise now is valid, I don't know, but it was good advise then.

Not sure if the Army basic bashing is just teasing or not but it was pretty tough when I went through back in 98. I was older and in good shape but it still was 16 weeks of suck. Disclaimer : I did go to Benning and I believe that it is supposed to be night and day compared to other army basic training stops.

A buddy of mine from the guard joined the Marines after doing some time in the Army and had to go through basic again. He said it was pretty much the same thing except for the "aiyi" deck hatch stuff and all the gay sex. ;-)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

In my opinion boot camp accross the board has become too soft. There is a difference between abuse and correction, and in my opinion hands are tied too much when it comes to correcting recruits. This is not to say it never happened, but it didn't happen frequently enough. That said, PI was a pretty miserable 13 weeks.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

i just finshed up oust not to long ago then airborne school no bull no go there thinkin you the biggest and badest mother ****er around people to hate that guy and its not to much never volunteer for anything just know when then detail they are going to put you on is less shity then the one you are on at the time dont take everything the drill sgts say to heart they are there to add stress to you life alot of it and they can trust me other then that dont be a shit bag i dont know and im not saying i do but i know a few people who i went to basic with and they never did anything and no one liked them at all and by the end of the whole thing the drill sgts told them that "your going to get someone killed becouse your such a lazy POS" just do your job and dont **** off. O and pt before you get there just like everyone else is saying trust me. any other questions PM me.

Dude!

Did you read your post?

With punctuation and spelling like that, I guess you will fit in well in the 82nd![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

This. Basic isnt what it was when I went through. I hear they dont yell anymore, or put "too much" stress on you. Get used to running A LOT. I was really good at running by the time basic was over...too bad I hate running more than anything else on this planet.

Sent from my Verizon Commando Smartphone
I dunno I got my ass beat once at Mc Muffin. Of course this was back in 86. Of the troops for the troops.

If the DI asks if anyone has a drivers license don't raise your hand. You'll end up driving a wheelbarrow for the day. I know.

A buddy of mine from the guard joined the Marines after doing some time in the Army and had to go through basic again. He said it was pretty much the same thing except for the "aiyi" deck hatch stuff and all the gay sex. ;-)

You left out the part where the Marines actually taught him to shoot in Boot. [wink]

Wear "Hope and Change" t-shirt. It'll score you some points with your drill sergeants. There are a lot of liberals in the Army. Trust me.
No THAT's funny! Reminds me of the time when our team was in Tijuana, we told all the youngsters that pendejo meant "friend".

Everyone pretty much covered the basics. Just remember that the job of the DI is to break you down and rebuild you the way the Army wants you to be and they enjoy their jobs. They will push you, insult you, get in your face and do everything they can to push your buttons. They are looking for a reaction to see what your stress points are. Just remember that is what they do. Don't take it personal, don't let yourself get worked up about it and definitely don't let it bring you down. If they think you can't handle it, you'll get that treatment every day to make you crack and wash you out. I personally seen a guy crack and with a running start tried to jump through a window with those wires in it. Cut himself up real bad and was immediately washed out.

Some here are saying that Army boot camp is easier now, but I wouldn't count on that. It will all depend on the DI you get. As everyone said, shut up, do what your told and try to be as invisible as possible. Do those things and you'll be fine.

What MOS did you sign up for? Where are you taking Basic?

Work out daily (jog, situps, pushups) until you leave. /

I don't know what Army basic is like exactly, but when i went through boot, it was a huge advantage that I showed up in shape./

Good advice. I was a Corporal in an Infantry training unit for a few months. the #1 medical problem recruits have is with their feet. Great time of year now to do some hiking. Situps, pullups, and pushups along with some running will help your body adjust.

As far as Basic being easier, I think that's been said by every vet since the Roman Legions. Training methods evolve. Calling people stupid names, blanket parties and cleaning floors with toothbrushes doesn't teach anyone a damned thing that is useful, except not to treat people that way if you want to accomplish a mission.

A lot of people will tell you "Don't volunteer for anything." In Basic a DI would walk off 50 or 100 yards away and say "I need six volunteers."

Meanwhile, the Corporal (job description: "To be the meanest mother****er in the Army) would have moved around to the guys shirking in back, who would spend the next 10-15 minutes doing pushups and low-crawling over to the rest of the unit.

Remember your job is to defend the nation, and act accordingly. Starting now: you can probably start correspondence courses in your MOS.

Last edited:
"Relaxin' Jackson"! You will be fine. Just go there in shape and keep your yap shut.

EDIT: and thanks for your service. Whatever you choose to do with your military time, it is a noble pursuit. Everyone here may bust your balls because you were not infantry or a jarine, but any service is noble. With maybe the exception of the Navy [wink] (kidding, squids.)

Last edited:
Army basic is day camp. If you are not fat you will have 3 ribbons upon graduation.
How about letting us answer the kid's questions asked without spamming his thread?

Surely there is an embassy or naval vessel somewhere that needs to be guarded? Or just go fly around in an Osprey while complaining about how under-resourced you are. Make a birthday cake. Talk to each other about how challenging USMC basic training was for you. You know, all the important things the nation relies on the Marine Corps for.[laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom