• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Army

Im leaving for basic training in November, any advice?

i'd say keep your head down and don't get singled out....
but i tried following that advice, they made me a road guard (bright orange vest) and then Guidon bearer... so.. it was tough to not stick out :/

just remember you're there to learn shit and be beaten into shape, don't take anything personally.. it's all a game....

Marine boot is day camp. If you are not fat you will have 3 brain cells upon graduation.

FIFY

:)

Some of you Army guys need to flush the sand out of your v's.

i like sandy V's, the gritty texture reminds me of your 5 o'clock shadow ;)

as for the inter-service rivalry... the kid's gotta learn sometime.... now's as good as any....

Last edited:
Some of you Army guys need to flush the sand out of your v's.
And Marines need to learn that Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

Now I hope we can get back to practical, useful advice. rtebeau, if we could arrange a tour of one of the local manufacturers of EOD robotics, would you be interested? If so, PM me your contact info.

Oh yeah, about that EOD thing...Did you get a backup MOS in your contract? Do you know what happens to you if you flunk out of EOD school? A guy I used to work with flunked out of EOD and wound up doing something sucky for an MOS though I can't remember what it was. I know nothing about the school except that it is rumored to be one of the hardest courses in the military and the washout rate is pretty high I think. I just surfed around to find out and people on forums are saying between 30%-70% washout rate. Good luck!

All kidding aside (though its hard when you guys wear terquoise uniforms with more velcro than the space shuttle) I'd take an Army EOD guy over a Marine desk jockey any day.

That's a good point about the backup MOS. I know the Marine Corps pulls NCOs from ordinance, so if you drop out you're back to ordinance. You definitely don't want to end up in a job you hate or a job 65 year old women can do.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

And Marines need to learn that Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

Now I hope we can get back to practical, useful advice. rtebeau, if we could arrange a tour of one of the local manufacturers of EOD robotics, would you be interested? If so, PM me your contact info.

PM sent

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, about that EOD thing...Did you get a backup MOS in your contract? Do you know what happens to you if you flunk out of EOD school? A guy I used to work with flunked out of EOD and wound up doing something sucky for an MOS though I can't remember what it was. I know nothing about the school except that it is rumored to be one of the hardest courses in the military and the washout rate is pretty high I think. I just surfed around to find out and people on forums are saying between 30%-70% washout rate. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll have to look into where I go if I washout.

90% of washing out of stuff is losing the mind game. You just can't let yourself quit. The other 10% is getting hurt. It pays to have a backup plan, even if you know you've got the right stuff.

Mike

90% of washing out of stuff is losing the mind game. You just can't let yourself quit. The other 10% is getting hurt. It pays to have a backup plan, even if you know you've got the right stuff.

Mike

EOD school washouts are because of the academic demands. It is very technical from what I have heard. I don't think there is much physical stuff like in Ranger school or SF.

I have 89D, EOD in my contract. From what I hear training is long but I'm excited to get started.

Long and hard. Wish you luck -- that is a very difficult job. One of my good friends was an EOD tech - he was walking up on an IED to disarm it and it was remotely detonated. Killed him instantly.

Here are a few good reads to give you perspective.

http://thechive.com/2012/05/31/chivers-this-is-the-story-of-taylor-morris-22-photos/

http://timdoddphotography.com/blog/...9241462_22506055_10150968372601462#f36476617c

You've seen some very good advice, sprinkled with abundant opinions. I'll add just one. Never salute an officer while double-timing. Nothing good can come of it.

From now until you leave, start walking everywhere in Altama Army Issue Boots or Bellville desert boots. Put 40-50 lbs in a back pack and once a day, put it on, and head to the bank/store/gym/where ever. This will help condition your feet. Better to get a blister back home than in Ft Jackson. Other than that, get in shape as others have said with push-ups, sit-ups, and 2-mile run, but I would train for 5 or 10 miles.

What ever you do in Basic, do it with determination, dedication, and balls.

Parts of Basic will suck while you're going through them, but years later you will look back on them as fond memories.

Thank you for joining and continuing the long history of selfless service of those that came before you.

Good Luck!

Boghog1 had it right the first time. Just don't do anything you're not told to, and be quiet. Stay as unnoticeable as you can for the first week or so. It helps not to have red hair... ask me how I know this.

Keep your lockers locked at all times. Ive seen drill sargents totally trash lockers that weren't locked. Seeing that it was never my locker I found it comical. In fact my advise would be to try and laugh (to yourself of course) as much as possible. I got smoked once for sneezing while being in the position of attention. Even though it sucked in the back of my mind I was laughing about the situation.

I'm sure you'll do fine, it's the people who go in there half assed that have issues. And like others before me said.... Thankyou for your service.

Keep your lockers locked at all times. Ive seen drill sargents totally trash lockers that weren't locked. Seeing that it was never my locker I found it comical. In fact my advise would be to try and laugh (to yourself of course) as much as possible. I got smoked once for sneezing while being in the position of attention. Even though it sucked in the back of my mind I was laughing about the situation.

I'm sure you'll do fine, it's the people who go in there half assed that have issues. And like others before me said.... Thankyou for your service.

Oh we came back from one of the ranges and literally found everything out of the barracks, bunks, lockers, etc. We had to find ours and get them back upstairs. yeah that was a fun day.

Can someone parse this for me? Jar of punctuation marks and carriage returns incoming.

:beer:

i just finshed up oust not to long ago then airborne school no bull no go there thinkin you the biggest and badest mother ****er around people to hate that guy and its not to much never volunteer for anything just know when then detail they are going to put you on is less shity then the one you are on at the time dont take everything the drill sgts say to heart they are there to add stress to you life alot of it and they can trust me other then that dont be a shit bag i dont know and im not saying i do but i know a few people who i went to basic with and they never did anything and no one liked them at all and by the end of the whole thing the drill sgts told them that "your going to get someone killed becouse your such a lazy POS" just do your job and dont **** off. O and pt before you get there just like everyone else is saying trust me. any other questions PM me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

First thing you should do is answer to a drill sergeant " yes sir!" like you mean it. Let me know what happens.
Good luck and keep your nose clean.

if you have anyone in your barracks that gives you crap, switch one of their boots with someone else you don't like and enjoy the show, [smile]

if you have anyone in your barracks that gives you crap, switch one of their boots with someone else you don't like and enjoy the show, [smile]

Never did that, but I can't help grinning as I think of the frustration of the guy with the bigger foot, especially if the two guys had feet only 1/2 size apart!

Never did that, but I can't help grinning as I think of the frustration of the guy with the bigger foot, especially if the two guys had feet only 1/2 size apart!

I did it to a couple of punks picking on my buddy when I was at Fort Dix in the 70's, I told the same thing to my sister when she was in basic in the 90's, she used it on a couple of people who were giving her trouble,[laugh]

Just getting ready to head up to Boston, I ship out to fort Jackson tomorrow. I'll be back for Christmas, wish me luck!!

Back
Top Bottom