• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Article: Arming TSA officers hits resistance on the Hill

It should be met with resistance.

TSA should not have arrest powers or be armed. One TSA agent gets shot and killed "they need guns ". 26 people at a school are killed "No guns" whatsoever.

Just from my experience, I'd guess they can't pass the background check anyway. Lol

I dont see it as a matter of one agent gets shot and all of a sudden they need guns. But I dont think they should have arrest powers. However, how effective (secure) can security really be without being armed? Shouldnt they have the means to react to such a situation? Besides, its one step closer to arming america, assuming TSA agents arent fellons. A better proposal would be to let law abiding citizens carry "uninfringed". after all, how far would he have gotten if those hundreds of civilians around him were armed?

Last edited:
I dont see it as a matter of one agent gets shot and all of a sudden they need guns. Nor do i see the need for arrest powers. But being security, shouldnt they have the means to react to such a situation? Besides, its one step closer to arming america, assuming TSA agent arent fellons.

Ahh, trust the .gov what could go wrong.

I dont see it as a matter of one agent gets shot and all of a sudden they need guns. But I dont think they should have arrest powers. However, how effective (secure) can security really be without being armed? Shouldnt they have the means to react to such a situation? Besides, its one step closer to arming america, assuming TSA agents arent fellons. A better proposal would be to let law abiding citizens carry "uninfringed". after all, how far would he have gotten if those hundreds of civilians around him were armed?

Why do they need arrest powers? Police is already at the airport for that purpose.

Sent using my all knowing google phone

The fed's do not need an other armed enforcement agency. If the TSA'ers don't like it, they are free to find work elsewhere. I am sure the malls in NJ will be on a hiring spree in the coming weeks.

I dont see it as a matter of one agent gets shot and all of a sudden they need guns. But I dont think they should have arrest powers. However, how effective (secure) can security really be without being armed?

How does being armed make them any more effective at their job? Despite the fact that they call themselves "officers" they very specifically have no power to arrest or detain. That is why if they have a problem with a passenger they call the real cops. Gun or no gun, I don't want those clowns getting more power of any kind.

What really surprised me was that there were not armed policeman at the security area's at LAX, that makes no sense to me. I travel a lot and I almost always noticed a police presence at Logan and other Northeast airports. At least that's what I thought I read.

How does being armed make them any more effective at their job? Despite the fact that they call themselves "officers" they very specifically have no power to arrest or detain. That is why if they have a problem with a passenger they call the real cops. Gun or no gun, I don't want those clowns getting more power of any kind.
Im not saying give them more power, im just saying they share the same 2nd amendment right that we all do. why shouldn't they have the right to defend themselves? I don't know about others, but I see a strong resemblance between what you wrote and the idea that citizens don't need guns because they can call the real police when trouble arises. Not trying to be an a**, but I think an armed society is a safe society.

Im not saying give them more power, im just saying they share the same 2nd amendment right that we all do. why shouldn't they have the right to defend themselves? I don't know about others, but I see a strong resemblance between what you wrote and the idea that citizens don't need guns because they can call the real police when trouble arises. Not trying to be an a**, but I think an armed society is a safe society.

You misunderstand my point. If they want to go through all the same crap that I went through to be armed, then godspeed (as long as I can be armed as well). If they want to spend MY money to buy new toys that will do nothing to make them more effective at their stated mission, then screw them. All this is just leading to an increase in their authority and arrest powers will be next on their Christmas list.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the TSA's greatest achievement is scope creep and empire building.

I'm pretty sure it was a TSA that ripped me off.

6 cartons of Malboros in my bag when I left Alaska, check

0 cartons of Malboros when I arrived Boston.

Sure lets give em guns too

Because as government agents, they don't have any rights. Arming the TSA does nothing but further reinforce the government's monopoly on force.

I dont see it as a matter of one agent gets shot and all of a sudden they need guns. But I dont think they should have arrest powers.

Why do they need guns or arrest powers? at EVERY ONE of these airports there are LEOs sauntering around with guns and badges.

If the argument is that "airports need more security" I'd much rather see that something communities that host these airports take on, voluntarily, rather than though the feds. It's bad enough that we've allowed TSA to rape us at the gate, we don't need to turn the TSA into a bunch of "GS-1811 gate rape agents" (with the attendant much higher salary) on top of the problems we already have with these people.

-Mike

Why do they need guns or arrest powers? at EVERY ONE of these airports there are LEOs sauntering around with guns and badges.

If the argument is that "airports need more security" I'd much rather see that something communities that host these airports take on, voluntarily, rather than though the feds. It's bad enough that we've allowed TSA to rape us at the gate, we don't need to turn the TSA into a bunch of "GS-1811 gate rape agents" (with the attendant much higher salary) on top of the problems we already have with these people.

-Mike

notice everyone, I DONT think they need arrest powers. Nor do i think it makes them do their job better. Im NOT sticking up for government OR TSA. what im saying is simple. they are american citizens. they are humans. they should have the right to defend themselves. granted, taxes suck and we should not have to pay for them to protect themselves. I get that too. maybe they should cc their own firearms. just like we should be able to.

Back
Top Bottom