Article: Concealed Carry Proves Guns Are Part of Solution to Gun Violence

Right. Which is what holsters prevent.

Now, I am confused. You are saying a holster prevents ND's? Really?

I thought following the safety rules is all i need.

What about my AR, I don't holster that, never had an ND.

Look up ND -- I've never seen a definition or example that included a holster.

Not trying to be argumentative , I just dont understand where/when a holster replaced the safety rules, or common sense.

Not trying to be argumentative , I just dont understand where/when a holster replaced the safety rules, or common sense.

Holsters cover the trigger guard and prevent the trigger from getting pulled while the gun is in the holster. If you carry a gun without a holster, the trigger can get pulled accidentally. For example, you could brush up against a lever style door knob. A holster prevents that type of incident.

Further more, a holster retains the gun, preventing it from falling out of your waistband if you run or trip. A pocket holster keeps your gun properly oriented in your pocket so that the grip is at the top of the pocket. A pocket holster also keeps your fingers out of the trigger guard when you reach in to get a grip on the gun.

Carrying a gun without a holster is, IMO, negligent.

Carrying a gun without a holster is, IMO, negligent.

OK, good to know. I carry a .45 - locked and cocked. It has two (2) mechanical safeties. Then there is me, which I consider more reliable then any mechanical safety.

Really difficult (impossible) to get the gun to go bang unless you pull the trigger, proven fact.

I'm clumsy, bump into stuff all the time.

Been carrying for over twenty (20) years. Never shot myself or had a ND.

Not even close.

I must be lucky.

OK, good to know. I carry a .45 - locked and cocked. It has two (2) mechanical safeties. Then there is me, which I consider more reliable then any mechanical safety.

Really difficult (impossible) to get the gun to go bang unless you pull the trigger, proven fact.

That depends upon the gun. If it is a Series 70 1911, it can go off easier than you might think. Series 70s don't have a firing pin safety. If they are dropped and land on the muzzle, they can go off -- the gun stops, the inertia of the firing pin overcomes the resistance of the firing pin spring, and the firing pin hits the primer. The distance required to cause a Series 70 to discharge is surprisingly small. A gunsmith tested this and found a standard 45 ACP could discharge when dropped as little as 4' and discharged more often than not when dropped 5'.

Changing to a titanium firing pin and using an extra-strength firing pin retaining spring significantly helped:

1911 Drop Testing « Vuurwapen Blog

I do carry a Series 70 1911 on a regular basis. I do so in a holster. On two occasions I've fallen while carrying a Series 70 1911 and done a full shoulder roll. In both cases the gun stayed put because I was carrying in a holster. If I ever have to run away from something or someone, a holster keeps the gun on me -- a gun stuffed in the waistband can easily wind up on the ground where it wouldn't do me any good, even if it doesn't discharge upon falling. A holster also makes it a bit harder for someone to grab the gun.

Finally, a holster ensures that the gun stays in the same place. That speeds up the draw if I ever need to draw it in earnest.

Use a holster. Carrying without a holster adds unnecessary risks.

Carrying without a holster adds unnecessary risks.

All good info, thanks. I'm not carrying a series 40.

Most of my jeans have a little hole worn in the middle back from my Kimber tucked into the small of my back holsterless.

Besides I take on plenty of risk in life, leaving my driveway in my car is more risk than a pistol in my pocket or waistband.

It really doesn't depend on the gun, really does not -- it depends on who's carrying and the level of training behind them -- and if they keep their finger off the trigger the gun won't go off.

BTW I also do it with my 92fs, and my sr22 -- bottom line is if your finger is off the bang switch the gun is un-likely to go off.

To me it seems there are a lot of gun owners who do not trust themselves with a particular method of carry. If you’re not bright enough to handle your gun properly, then by all means secure it as best as possible to keep from shooting yourself or innocent bystanders.

With common sense, and practicing safety, guns can be carried a whole lot of ways. It may be just ways others do not like and are quick to dismiss as dangerous.

Anyway I'm not going to continue to sidetrack the thread. We can what if it all day and night -- I have twenty (20) plus years of real time success.

It works for me, I have never dropped my gun -- I wear clothes that fit, with a belt 99% of the time.

Your clothing style and build have a lot to do with this method of carry working for you.

YMMV

It applies to hand-fired guns, like pistols and revolvers. It's just good common sense. You protect the trigger from being accidentally (or negligently some might say) actuated thereby discharging a bullet from the chamber, down the barrel and into something you probably didn't want to put a bullet into.

Holsters DON'T replace safety rules as they're not mutually exclusive. If you're going to carry for SD, IMHO, get a holster.

EDIT: M1911 pretty much nailed it.

Last edited:
Staying at home forever avoids unnecessary risks as well.

I always carry in a holster, but I'm not going to give people who don't a hard time about it and infer they are acting recklessly, because they aren't.

I'm not a forensic photography expert, but I don't see a finger on the trigger. It could very well be laying outside the trigger guard.

The 'Mexican' carry is stupid.

Back
Top Bottom