• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

As violent crimes surge, Californians' faith in gun control slips in new poll

Reptile

NES Member
Amid a surge in shootings this year, a majority of California voters say that they believe gun control laws are effective in reducing violent crime, but confidence in them has slipped, according to a new UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll co-sponsored by the Los Angeles Times.

The poll released Thursday found that 56% of the state’s voters surveyed believe stronger laws restricting the sale and possession of guns help make their communities safer, but the number is down from 60% who felt that way three years ago.

The poll also found that 57% of California voters say it is more important to place greater controls on gun ownership than it is to protect Americans’ rights to own guns under the 2nd Amendment, but that number is down from 64% who felt that way in 2018.

The decline in confidence in gun laws is a response to what people are seeing in their communities, said Mark DiCamillo, director of the Berkeley IGS Poll.

“I think it’s due in large measure to the increase in crime, especially violent crime,” DiCamillo said. “But still, this is a very Democratic and very liberal constituency and gun control laws have traditionally been quite popular among those voters not only here in California but nationwide.”

The poll was released at a time when key gun laws in California are being challenged in the courts by groups advocating for gun rights including the Firearms Policy Coalition.

Last month, California appealed a federal court decision that overturned the state’s ban on assault weapons after a judge ruled it is unconstitutional. The ban remains in effect during the appeal process.

The poll found 56% of California voters don’t believe that the assault weapons ban law violates the U.S. Constitution, which DiCamillo noted is consistent with the level of support for strong controls on gun ownership.

The poll numbers on the constitutionality of the assault weapon ban are not relevant to what is now a legal matter to be settled by the courts, according to Sam Paredes, the executive director of Gun Owners of California.

Continues...

California is fantastic. The people in it ruined it. The gun issue is only one of a myriad of ways in which they have done this. I have no hope for the place.

i feel this way about Massachusetts. Geographically, its a perfect place to live. The state has everything; mountains, forests, beaches, a major city, good sports teams, pretty good weather. The people have ruined this place for anyone who thinks Stalin was an ***hole.

Just keep them there, so they don't move and ruin Texas, Florida, and Arizona (among others).
When I move to one of those places from Massachusetts…and I’m asked to not ruin them with Mass politics…my response will be:

“I’m fleeing FROM Massachusetts, not trying to bring it HERE…”

The poll released Thursday found that 56% of the state’s voters surveyed believe stronger laws restricting the sale and possession of guns help make their communities safer than Rura Penthe, but the number is down from 60% who felt that way three years ago.
FTFY.
(LTFM).

Wow, better than I thought, only 56% of the state is of below average intelligence
5i3wh3.jpg

California is fantastic. The people in it ruined it. ...
i feel this way about Massachusetts. Geographically, its a perfect place to live. The state has everything; mountains, forests, beaches, a major city, good sports teams, pretty good weather. The people have ruined this place for anyone who thinks Stalin was an ***hole.
Old and Busted:
The Bride and I driving past a charming Victorian, and me saying,
"you think that place is big enough to hold all our sh¡t?".

The New Hotness:
The Bride and I driving past a charming New England locale in the PRM, and me saying,
"Massachusetts would be a wonderful place to vacation if only it didn't completely suck".

Just keep them there, so they don't move and ruin Texas, Florida, and Arizona (among others).
They need to stay west of the Red Line
to await the cause which impels them to the separation.
TC2ZSX.gif

California's advocacy for gun control fell just 3 percentage points?
sure. but what are the error bars?
Those are the bars where the illegal aliens get drunk
before Pillage/Rape/Murder.

Hopefully those aren't the places I signed up for. [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom