Asheville, North Carolina: Reparations for Black residents approved

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I wonder how it will be implemented. Complete failure. I might check NC off the list of States I would like to move to if this spreads.

I moved to this country 20 years ago, would my taxes be used to give someone money? .... A person that probably wouldnt exist today if someone wasnt taken from Africa over 100 years ago, or a person that would be much worse in Africa.

If it wasnt for Hitler or Mussolini my grandparents would have never met and I wouldn't exist. I guess I should go after Germany and Italy for reparations because my grandparents were forced to leave Europe.

Last edited:

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
It's not reparations. The headline sucks (not blaming you, Broccoli. It's USA Today's fault). It's basically more affirmative action, plus an apology.

I've been all over NC; Asheville was the only part I really liked. Good thing you can find similar places all over Appalachia.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Sounds like they're basically going to spend more on welfare-type stuff. My bolds below.

The unanimously passed resolution does not mandate direct payments. Instead, it will make investments in areas where Black residents face disparities.

"The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.

Win

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a bit of an aside but on the topic of racism... As I know many of you do, I run into/meet black people all of the time - significantly to my point here - these are people I have never previously met. We have no experiences together. I meet these folks at church, the gun range, on nature walks, fishing, playing basketball etc. Every time, these people are warm to me - very kind. Of course, I return the kindness. But I'm struck by the question, if there are so many racists, if these folks are experiencing "systemic racism" or experiencing racists quite regularly, I would expect that they would greet me more cautiously or with some reservation? My experience is the opposite. I don't doubt that there are racists. We know that there are. But my engaging experiences with black folks I've never met before makes me wonder just how many racists there are.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not reparations. The headline sucks (not blaming you, Broccoli. It's USA Today's fault). It's basically more affirmative action, plus an apology.

I've been all over NC; Asheville was the only part I really liked. Good thing you can find similar places all over Appalachia.
this ... i was reading to see if they're cutting checks....no just more preference for the 'oppressed' class of people that already gets loads of preferential treatment. Largely a virtue signal.

What's funny is if they did do actual reparations 99% of blacks would end up exactly where they are now, they'd piss away that money instantaneously.

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can see where this is going.

Raised taxes under the guise of (insert govt program here)
People move out due to higher taxes
Asheville turns into the next B.D.C.

PATRON

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 99%
95   1   1
They,are doing the same thing that was done to the Indians.Gave them everything,and almost turned strong,proud people into useless drunks.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My people came from Ireland and never owned slaves, end of story.
this. my ancestors had nothing to do with it, so f*** off, I don't owe you shit....and even if my ancestors were like the f***ing CEO of Slaves Inc. I'm not responsible for their actions.

Racism has little to do with any of this. Most black immigrants from Africa move here into the same shit neighborhoods and work their asses off an in a matter of years are living the American dream. African immigrants hate American blacks. None of this shit has much to do with systemic racism as a reality, it's a justification for being, largely, a group of total f***ups. It's exactly why BLM is silent on black on black crime and will deflect those questions...it's a lot easier to blame all your problems on some external boogeyman than it is to take stock of your own problems and actually work to solve them. They're just hoping to punt this shit to the next generation of fatherless kids they have but certainly don't want it solved in their own lifetime lest their excuse for being a shitbag is taken away.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
this. my ancestors had nothing to do with it, so f*** off, I don't owe you shit....and even if my ancestors were like the f***ing CEO of Slaves Inc. I'm not responsible for their actions.

Racism has little to do with any of this. Most black immigrants from Africa move here into the same shit neighborhoods and work their asses off an in a matter of years are living the American dream. African immigrants hate American blacks. None of this shit has much to do with systemic racism as a reality, it's a justification for being, largely, a group of total f***ups. It's exactly why BLM is silent on black on black crime and will deflect those questions...it's a lot easier to blame all your problems on some external boogeyman than it is to take stock of your own problems and actually work to solve them. They're just hoping to punt this shit to the next generation of fatherless kids they have but certainly don't want it solved in their own lifetime lest their excuse for being a shitbag is taken away.
The reason most African immigrants hate the African Americans is perception. When the reason you immigrated is a bloody civil war where people where getting hacked with machetes all day.. it puts a spin on getting stopped for a busted tail light

mothybee

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As a bit of an aside but on the topic of racism... As I know many of you do, I run into/meet black people all of the time - significantly to my point here - these are people I have never previously met. We have no experiences together. I meet these folks at church, the gun range, on nature walks, fishing, playing basketball etc. Every time, these people are warm to me - very kind. Of course, I return the kindness. But I'm struck by the question, if there are so many racists, if these folks are experiencing "systemic racism" or experiencing racists quite regularly, I would expect that they would greet me more cautiously or with some reservation? My experience is the opposite. I don't doubt that there are racists. We know that there are. But my engaging experiences with black folks I've never met before makes me wonder just how many racists there are.
YOU SAID RESERVATION! That's cultural appropriation! Your RACIST! Go back 3 squares, do not collect $200.

ToddDubya

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Probably because of your fancy robe and gold crown. Racist.

But seriously, I'm with you. Most people treat other people like people. It's nuts, I know.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

I was so busy with work, I couldnt read the entire article.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just moved to NC. First thing I did was get normal magazines for my Sigs. Someone told me Asheville was nice, I live near Charlotte. Asheville, NC does have the abandoned railroad Saluda grade youtube it its amazing if your a rail fan, It seems a little bit too "Northamptonee or Cambridgeee" for me.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I wonder how it will be implemented. Complete failure. I might check NC off the list of States I would like to move to if this spreads.

I moved to this country 20 years ago, would my taxes be used to give someone money? .... A person that probably wouldnt exist today if someone wasnt taken from Africa over 100 years ago, or a person that would be much worse in Africa.

If it wasnt for Hitler or Mussolini my grandparents would have never met and I wouldn't exist. I guess I should go after Germany and Italy for reparations because my grandparents were forced to leave Europe.
"The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.
So they will provide favorable conditions to some people based on skin color.... I think there is a word for that.

My people were slaves thousands of years ago, where's my check?

quiller

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I came from Ireland and never owned anything...let alone slaves, end of story indeed. You do know that the Irish were called the slaves of Europe! Not so long ago "No Irish need apply" signs were common place. Where do I sign up for free stuff!

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Did those include everyone that wasnt Jewish but fled Europe?
I don't know the specifics, but probably not.
My dad was Jewish and born in Vienna in 1912.
He managed to escape to England in 1938, right after the nazis annexed Austria, with one sister and one cousin.
The rest of the family wasn't so lucky.
My grandfather owned a shoe factory in Vienna, where my dad worked, then the nazis seized it.
My dad made his way to the US in 1940 and got a job working at Frye Boot in Marlborough.
When the US got into the war, he joined the US navy and achieved the rank of petty officer.
He was stationed in Jacksonville for most of the war, and luckily was never sent overseas.
His unsung contribution to the war effort were the ski boots worn by the 10th Mountain Division, he designed them.
I'm not sure what year it began, but he received checks periodically from the Austrian government.
He never revealed to me the amounts, but he would have my siblings and I get documentation every year from our schools showing that we were enrolled as students, which he would send to Austria. This is because the check amounts were higher while he had kids in school. After he passed away in 2008 (age 96), my mother continued to receive the checks from Austria, until she passed away in 2017.
In his later years, after receiving a check, he would laugh and say "the Austrians are mad at me because I'm still alive"
After he passed away, the checks didn't automatically revert to my mother, she had to jump through some hoops to get them. Since she didn't speak German, she went to a local German-American club (in Florida) with the paperwork from Austria and asked someone to help translate for her. She told me that they all knew about the checks from Austria, it was no secret, and they were so nice to her and helped her all the way through the process.

Top Bottom