Asking for suggestions on carrying with an ostomy

First let me explain what I mean. For those who don't know, an ostomy is where a part of your urinary tract (urostomy), or your large intestine (a colostomy), or your small intestine (ileostomy) protrudes from your stomach in various locations and your urine or feces empty into a bag. In 2014 I had surgery to remove my anus, colon and my entire large intestine permanently. The end of my small intestine protrudes from a hole in my stomach (called a stoma) approximately 3" to the right (my right) of my belly button. Naturally, my beltline/waistline is about 2 to 3 inches below my stoma. My bag covers my stoma and hangs about 6 to 7 inches below it. This is always under my outer garment either pants, sweats or shorts, lets call it "concealed carry".

I would very much prefer to carry ITW however, wearing any sort of belt snug enough to hold such a holster would also constrict my bag and not allow it to work as it is designed to. I currently only carry in pocket, usually in my CC vest in a pocket holster. My EDC is a Sig P938. I have no interest in any sort of shoulder holster, but trying to find a way to allow me to carry inside my waistband (right-handed 4 o'clock). I probably could wear suspenders to hold up my pants wearing a loose-fitting belt, but just trying to find another way.

Is there anyone else who has an ostomy who can suggest a way to carry IWB? You can PM me if you'd rather remain private. I'm not embarrassed about my situation, it's just a regular part of my life. Already survived a couple heart attacks and cancer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize in advance if my post offends anyone.

My Grandfather had an ostomy as a result of colon cancer treatment. Didn't really slow him down at all. He went to suspenders and wasn't a concealed carry guy but would often carry tools. IIRC, he had a belt but kept it loose enough to not interfere. Pants and belt of course held by the suspenders. Perhaps you can find a set of heavy duty suspenders?

Other suggestion would be ankle carry.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps a pair of suspenders so your belt doesn't have to be tight?

OK, thinking the same way...

I know people with insulin pumps have similar issues. While not ideal, have you considered ankle carry?

Have you looked at urban carry holsters? I am not sure if it will be comfortable at 4 o'clock but might be a good option for you to consider.

Thanks for the great replies. I am going to follow all of your suggestions and see what I can come up with. It does present itself with very unique carry challenges but I believe something will work for me.

Thunderwear or Smartcarry.

This option allows you to carry IWB without needing to cinch the belt tightly as you would with a normal IWB holster. The belt can be as loose as you need it to be.

You can wear the gun at 12 o'clock. Or any other position along the waist line.

You can wear the gun with the grip below the belt line, or above the belt line.

I've been doing my homework and researching all the (so many) types and brands of belly band holsters which actually seem to be pretty much exactly what I think just might work for me. Almost all of them have the 4" and 5" band height which limits my placement anywhere near my stoma so I would have to wear them either very high on my stomach or very low on my waist. However, the Brave Response Holster has a nice 2" band that would make it easier to place around my body and it seems to be well made. Even though it costs about $70 (not an issue) I think I'll give one a try.

Definitely either suspenders (never a bad idea if you carry full size and spare mags), or shoulder holster.

Few holster makers offer serious shoulder options these days, so you might have to default to suspenders and OWB.

would something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N633EQC?psc=1
work in the high position.

I looked long and hard at these types also but for a few reasons they just would not work for me. Thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you considered something like this below? It's OWB, but does not look like a holster and completely hides your firearm

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/sig-p938-sneaky-pete-holster-belt-clip/

Another one I considered but not as secure as I'd like. Thanks for the help.

I've always been curious about that "3 speed holster" that used to be advertised here. It uses it's own band so it doesn't weigh down your pants. I don't know of it'd work for you, but maybe worth a look. Good luck.

Sean

I carry my P938 either in-pocket or at the 4-5 o'clock position. I used to appendix carry, but now prefer the back side. PM sent for more info.

I have a buddy with an ostomy at about the same place as yours, who carries a 938 IWB. I'll reach out to see what he says. I believe he carries at 11:00 and cross draws since his bag is on the right.

Spoke with my buddy. He said to use a De Santis Sof Tuk at the 3-4:00 (Kidney) position.

"Tell him to get a 5.11 tactical belt and put the buckle to the side like a scene kid from 2000"

15909043_10211714634966010_1559922311_o.jpg 15935244_10211714646486298_1802076535_o.jpg 15934016_10211714663326719_1807886533_o.jpg

I understand you're not a fan of shoulder holster carry, this option here may suit your needs. It's a chest holster, referred to as superman carry due to its positioning on the chest. LitePath is a veteran owned company, one man show and his customer service is absolutely top shelf. Not cheap, but IMO worth every penny.

Great for cooler weather as well under a hoodie or heavy flannel. Works great also for seated vehicle defense.

http://2aholster.com/product/litepath-chest-holster/

Spoke with my buddy. He said to use a De Santis Sof Tuk at the 3-4:00 (Kidney) position.

"Tell him to get a 5.11 tactical belt and put the buckle to the side like a scene kid from 2000"

View attachment 187055 View attachment 187056 View attachment 187057

Thanks very much for that info and pictures which now has me thinking in a new direction.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand you're not a fan of shoulder holster carry, this option here may suit your needs. It's a chest holster, referred to as superman carry due to its positioning on the chest. LitePath is a veteran owned company, one man show and his customer service is absolutely top shelf. Not cheap, but IMO worth every penny.

Great for cooler weather as well under a hoodie or heavy flannel. Works great also for seated vehicle defense.

http://2aholster.com/product/litepath-chest-holster/

And another great option for me to look at. Thanks!

I am a little late to the party, but I just had a permanent illeostomy back in July. My stoma is high enough that a belt doesn’t interfere with it, but in my search of looking at ostomy supplies I ran across a company called stomaplex who make hernia belts and support belts with a “stoma guard” which you can tighten your belt down on top of and your stoma remains unaffected. Hope this helps someone

Chest Holster-The Litepath-Great gear-affordable price-free shipping.
I was thinking in the same direction, but the one that @minininjer helped develop. Maybe she can pay the link?

Have you looked into pocket carry? I used to home carry a Shield 9 in a DeSantis pocket holster and it was so comfortable I'd forget it was there.

I've personally witnessed a psych patient take a ostomy bag and whip it at a nurse's face like a water balloon.

I have no suggestions for carrying, but just remember you also have a large hand grenade at your disposal.

Back
Top Bottom