Assault-Weapons Bans Gain Momentum in Democratic-Controlled States

MaverickNH

NES Member

“Democrats behind the measures say that the growing anger over mass shootings with AR-15-style rifles, a weakened National Rifle Association, and the emergence of well-funded gun-control groups is behind the shift. State lawmakers have also been bolstered by calls from President Biden to ban such guns.

Gun-rights groups, which are fighting such bans in court with some success, say it is a sign of a more polarized country in which Democrats are comfortable pursuing more strident gun-control measures where they control state legislatures...

National support to reinstate the federal assault-weapons ban, which was in place from 1994 to 2004, has waned in recent years. A Quinnipiac University poll from February found that 48% of registered voters opposed a ban while 47% supported it. In 2018, shortly after the Parkland, Fla., high-school massacre, another Quinnipiac poll found that 67% of Americans favored a federal ban and 29% were against it.”

Is there any chance the Supreme Court does not take up an AWB case in the next 5 years?
Very much a chance. And also chance if they do, don’t assume it’ll have the same weight as Bruen. Also, states feel more strongly about AWBs than licensing schemes. Nothing will stop a state from defying the ruling.

Very much a chance. And also chance if they do, don’t assume it’ll have the same weight as Bruen. Also, states feel more strongly about AWBs than licensing schemes. Nothing will stop a state from defying the ruling.
I’ll guess we will see. Obviously many people thought Bruen would never happen in our life times

They will defy any ruling, because there aren't any consequences for doing so. There is no way that RI's recent ban on full cap mags could survive a rational challenge by Bruen ... but they passed it and the first activist judge it got to affirmed it. So, currently, it stands and it will likely take several more years to get it overturned. It only takes them one night in the statehouse under the cover of darkness (and I am not exaggerating, this is EXACTLY what went down) to pass crap like this and that is how they will win, even though the law is not on their side. :(

They will defy any ruling, because there aren't any consequences for doing so. There is no way that RI's recent ban on full cap mags could survive a rational challenge by Bruen ... but they passed it and the first activist judge it got to affirmed it. So, currently, it stands and it will likely take several more years to get it overturned. It only takes them one night in the statehouse under the cover of darkness (and I am not exaggerating, this is EXACTLY what went down) to pass crap like this and that is how they will win, even though the law is not on their side. :(
They don't win if nobody obeys their unconstitutional laws.

It think it will be sooner. ARs fit in perfectly with colonial and early American history and text on non military possession and use of firearms. For most of our history civilians owned rifles that were about equal to what the military had. In some cases, such as lever action rifles they had arguably better weapons suitable for shorter range use.

May 14,1653 The Massachusetts Council declares that one eighth of each militia company be available to march on one day's warning.

Is there any chance the Supreme Court does not take up an AWB case in the next 5 years?

Last edited:
Lol the courts have punted on AWBs so much that a decisive ruling is inevitable at some point. Will it be as sweeping as Bruen? Of course not, but it will probably null out a few major annoyances.

Considering what happened Friday in IL ban case, I think the AWB battle will be decades long. Hear me out..

The notoriously anti-2A 7th district court just issued an order for a rapid AWB case review schedule. Typically, these courts drag their feet by scheduling 2A cases months and years in the future.. In this Friday's order, the court set the argument date to the end of June! This is THE most rapid review schedule of a 2A case in the history of 2A cases! Why!? Because SCOTUS was about to take the case away from them for ignoring SCOTUS' decisions. The anti-gun judges don't want SCOTUS to take this case. They know the outcome will impact ALL states. Instead, they would rather lose one state than the entire United States. If they avoid the current SCOTUS, there is a chance one of the judges retires and they can change the court makeup in their favor.

I bet that after the arguments, 7th district judges will issue a ruling overturning the AWB in IL. This will keep the case from reaching SCOTUS. Meanwhile, IL legislature will pass another AWB law, and the charade will repeat.

Considering what happened Friday in IL ban case, I think the AWB battle will be decades long. Hear me out..

The notoriously anti-2A 7th district court just issued an order for a rapid AWB case review schedule. Typically, these courts drag their feet by scheduling 2A cases months and years in the future.. In this Friday's order, the court set the argument date to the end of June! This is THE most rapid review schedule of a 2A case in the history of 2A cases! Why!? Because SCOTUS was about to take the case away from them for ignoring SCOTUS' decisions. The anti-gun judges don't want SCOTUS to take this case. They know the outcome will impact ALL states. Instead, they would rather lose one state than the entire United States. If they avoid the current SCOTUS, there is a chance one of the judges retires and they can change the court makeup in their favor.

I bet that after the arguments, 7th district judges will issue a ruling overturning the AWB in IL. This will keep the case from reaching SCOTUS. Meanwhile, IL legislature will pass another AWB law, and the charade will repeat.
Did you listen to the Fudd Busters video @KBCraig posted this morning? They might be accelerating because Illinois made the argument (unasked) that semi and full auto are constitutionally identical. Now they're trying to fix their own mistake.

Back
Top Bottom