• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Assorted ammo given to me-I have questions.

Fixingcars

NES Member
Good afternoon. I have come into a little bit of ammo from an older gentleman who had this stuff tucked away. Can anyone give opinions on the quality and if it would likely be ok to shoot? Much of it appears to be reloads from companies (DCI, Continental Arms, and 3D) that are no longer in business. I think I found a post somewhere that referred to DCI as being from the 90's. They are almost all non jacketed lead bullet tops, and some are hollow points or defensive rounds it would appear. I assume that when it comes to reloads you also can't trust a plus p designation on the bottom of the cartridge. Also most of the cases seem to be chrome or nickel plated. They aren't magnetic and they don't feel like steel or aluminum. There were a few bags of cases. I'm wondering if these reloading companies would accept used cases back and maybe offer some type of rebate or discount? Only box that I found with a price tag appears to be from 4 seasons dated in the year 2000. Are these cases that appear to be nickel or chrome plated likely still ok to be used by someone? Some of the hollow points with exposed lead seem to show some oxidization. Any information anyone can provide about these companies or the ammunition would be helpful. Sorry for all the pics but I figure a picture is worth 1000 words. 3D 38spclhp.jpeg 3D 38spclreloads.jpeg 3D.jpeg 32 auto loose.jpeg 32 auto mark.jpeg 32 auto range round.jpeg 38 spcl case.jpeg 38 spcl hp loose mark.jpeg 38 spcl hp loose reload.jpeg 38 spcl loose HP.jpeg 38 spcl loose mark.jpeg 38 spcl loose.jpeg 38 spcl plusp loose.jpeg 38 spclplusp loose mark.jpeg 38spclcasemark.jpeg 38spplusp.jpeg 44 mag reloads.jpeg 45 auto case.jpeg 357 mag loose mark.jpeg 357 mag loose.jpeg 357 Sig year 2000.jpeg 357Sig new.jpeg Assortment of stuff.jpeg Continental Arms 38 spcl mark.jpeg Continental Arms 38 spcl reloads.jpeg Continental Arms 45 bullet marking.jpeg Continental Arms 45 bullet.jpeg Continental Arms 45 reloads.jpeg Continental Arms box.jpeg DCI 9MM new HP.jpeg DCI 9mm new.jpeg DCI 9MM reloads.jpeg DCI 40SW reloads.jpeg Samson 357 mag HP.jpeg Samson 357 mag.jpeg

first congratulations, you got more photos in one post than @enbloc puts up in a year! [bow]

on topic, i'd shoot the stuff...every last round.

a lot of newer shooters don't realize that years ago into the 90's, several companies sold remanufactured ammo. almost any gun shop carried it. stuff was dirt cheap, maybe half the price of factory, and decent range ammo. usually the cases were mixed headstamp. you could get a 50 box for 6-7 bucks and if you brought in the empty brass you'd get a dollar off....like a brass deposit, much like todays bottle deposit. this ammo would come in a box or just dumped in a plastic bag. the companies were legit. they had to carry liability insurance to get it on the shops shelves. a lot of folks come across it now and think grandpa loaded it in his basement for a few extra bucks spending money. i've shot tens of thousands of these reloaded rounds. 3d was a common one. they only came in the more popular calibers, .45acp, 38sp, .357mag, 44mag, 44sp. and 9mm when it started to become popular. sometimes you'd see .380 and very seldom .223. there use to be a group that would load 9x18 mak also but for more money. usually the pistol calibers were loaded with swagged lead or cast, hardly ever you saw jacketed. the .223 were of course jacketed, when you saw them. i never see reloads anymore. but i don't look for them either. and of course now seeing any ammo would be delightful.

Find a range that rents handguns and have a field day shooting all of that free ammo... with today’s market, that looks to be a few hundred dollars worth, so make sure you take who ever gave you that out to lunch to pay that good karma forwarded.

As suggested, if you don’t want to shoot any of those loads for what ever reason, you can karma them here and I’m sure someone would be very appreciative of your good will.

Choot em! Every last one. Thats all mostly good commercial reloads. Some is factory.

By the way those Sampson 357 mag loads are HOT! I got a box of them up at kittery awhile back on the traded ammo shelf. Very good ammo.

Last edited:
You can poke around on cast bullets.com they might have some more info on the manufactures.
If you have any issues test firing stop.
What we dont know is if that ammo in box A is not ammo B or reloads from X. It would come down to how much you trust the guy who gave it to you.
Did he reload?
Im still more worried about slipping and breaking my hip in my bath room than a kaboom. Both will suck but my odds on getting f***ed or killed in my own bathroom are high!

They look good from the photographs. I shoot mostly reloads over the years and started off with buying the 2nd tier re-manufactured to build up a supply of cases. I would say send them and nice thank you for the person who sent them your way.

Great score!

The .32 Auto rounds look like the Winchester SilverTip bullet. I don't know if those bullets were offered as a component, but being in "W-W" brass, they could be factory loads.
The cast swc in the .45 Auto look like the H&G 130 bullet, a fairly common bullet for the .45 Auto.
Samson is a label for "IMI", I believe.
I'd echo what has been said already. Shoot whatever rounds you have firearms for.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am very new to this hobby/sport and lacking in a lot of knowledge. I have a friend who has a few guns that will cover most all of the calibers. I'm keeping the 9mm for myself since I haven't even been able to go and shoot my newly purchased pistol since I got it. If anything is unable to be used by my friend and I then I will happily pass them on through here. I thought about renting a gun to use them but it isn't a huge amount of ammo and I would rather become more proficient with what I own.

The gentleman that passed these on is getting on in years and having significant health issues. He is a childhood friend of my father. My 80 year old father is over there almost daily helping him out for the last year or so. I've helped out as well several times moving items, picking up his vehicle that he ran out of gas about 40 miles from home because he got lost etc. It's a bad situation, he never married, closest family is on the West coast. Poor guy is in and out of the hospital constantly now and my father is doing his best to assist but his friend is also mentally declining and stubborn-did I mention it's a bad situation.

The ammo came out of a safe that probably hasn't been opened in 10-15 years because the key was MIA. He did not do his own reloading as far as I can tell so all of these were purchased. I was pretty sure the stuff would be ok to shoot but wanted some other opinions.

Thank you everyone for all of your help.

Back
Top Bottom