At what age to tell your kids you cc daily (too young?)

How old were your kids when you told them you carry a firearm. Mine are 8 daughter and soon to be 7 son. There have been close calls and I think my oldest is on to me. Both are smart and well behaved kids and my gut thinks it's the right time. I have mentioned my feeling to my wife, she's afraid it's too early but she's never grown up with guns and doesn't care to see what I have but likes the protection. Thoughts?

How old were your kids when you told them you carry a firearm. Mine are 8 daughter and soon to be 7 son. There have been close calls and I think my oldest is on to me. Both are smart and well behaved kids and my gut thinks it's the right time. I have mentioned my feeling to my wife, she's afraid it's too early but she's never grown up with guns and doesn't care to see what I have but likes the protection. Thoughts?

Do they already know that there are guns in your household?
Do they know what to do if they find one?
Are you sure?

My parents were horrified to find out that I pointed my father's rifle, (.22 bolt action), at a man asking for directions. He showed up in our driveway with a truck, and we'd been warned that there had been robberies in the neighborhood. My brother answered the door, I discreetly pointed the gun at him. He left. We were quite proud of ourselves, and told our parents. They didn't think we knew where the rifle was stored. :) I think we were perhaps 8 and 10 at the time...

My 7 year old knows I carry but I doubt she knows the extent. I don't bring it up much but do on occasion. Sometimes she'll bump into me or run up and hug me and feel it and give me a look but that's usually the end of it.

Do they already know that there are guns in your household?
Do they know what to do if they find one?
Are you sure?

My parents were horrified to find out that I pointed my father's rifle, (.22 bolt action), at a man asking for directions. He showed up in our driveway with a truck, and we'd been warned that there had been robberies in the neighborhood. My brother answered the door, I discreetly pointed the gun at him. He left. We were quite proud of ourselves, and told our parents. They didn't think we knew where the rifle was stored. :) I think we were perhaps 8 and 10 at the time...

They don't know I have guns yet. They think I have knives in my safe. And YES they know not to play with guns and what to do if one is found. . We've had that talk with them.

I don't think I made a conscious decision to tell the kids any more than I made a conscious decision to tell them that I carry a wallet, keys, phone, or cash.

I don't recall it coming up, but if it did, it would've probably been like this:

KIDS: Why do you have keys?

ME: To start the car.

KIDS: Why do you have money?

ME: To buy stuff.

KIDS: Why do you have a gun?

ME: To protect you guys.

KIDS: Why don't you just beat them up?

ME: The gun's in case they're big, and there's more than three of them..

Last edited:
My daughter has her own BB gun and she's not quite 5 yet. She has better firearm handling at 4 than a lot of idiots at gun stores. My girls have already started their training on firearms and will continue as long as they are in my house (or willing to listen after they are not).

The earlier they are exposed, the less of a big deal it is along the way.

My 7 year old knows I carry but I doubt she knows the extent. I don't bring it up much but do on occasion. Sometimes she'll bump into me or run up and hug me and feel it and give me a look but that's usually the end of it.

Thanks BDB. This is helpful!

My daughter has her own BB gun and she's not quite 5 yet. She has better firearm handling at 4 than a lot of idiots at gun stores. My girls have already started their training on firearms and will continue as long as they are in my house (or willing to listen after they are not).

The earlier they are exposed, the less of a big deal it is along the way.

Your last line is exactly how I feel! Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to "tell" them - they will figure it out after a couple of hugs.

Teach them safety and make it common place.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I think this type of "hiding it" behavior is unbelievably more dangerous than kids knowing. You're basically acting like an anti without realizing it. Do you hide steak knives at home? My kids always knew I carried. If you get in a dangerous situation, how can you expect them to know you're going to protect them, if they don't know you have a firearm? What if you're drawing your gun and they step in the way because you never taught them to stay out of your shooting lane?

My four year old is very aware of the presence of firearms in my home. My frequent range trips, subsequent cleaning, long drives from south shore to Riley's, and on they hours at my reloading bench drift he point home. He sees his parents getting dressed on occasion and he sees his father and mother holstering the handgun of choice for the day.

He's grown up around firearms, and at 4 had a great grasp of how dangerous they are and that there are strict rules to them.

He's the only 4 year old you will never catch pointing the nerf or squirt guns at his friends, for any reason. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this type of "hiding it" behavior is unbelievably more dangerous than kids knowing. You're basically acting like an anti without realizing it. Do you hide steak knives at home? My kids always knew I carried. If you get in a dangerous situation, how can you expect them to know you're going to protect them, if they don't know you have a firearm? What if you're drawing your gun and they step in the way because you never taught them to stay out of your shooting lane?

i agree that as you call "hiding it" or as I call not bringing it up is not the best approach but are only to respect my wife. My inquiry was to my fellow Americans! For advise on what a proper age is or if it matters to them. Not to be called anti because I'm far from that!

They are kids, if they ask, tell them. If not drive on.

This has been my approach so far. They know what to do if they come across one or a friend wants to show them one, but otherwise they haven't asked. I'm not proactively bringing it up, but I'm not hiding it either.

i agree that as you call "hiding it" or as I call not bringing it up is not the best approach but are only to respect my wife. My inquiry was to my fellow Americans! For advise on what a proper age is or if it matters to them. Not to be called anti because I'm far from that!

I'm saying, ask your kids if carrying a gun is good or bad. They don't know you do, and schools and TV are pretty much teaching them everyday that people who do carry are not good guys. So, I'm pointing out that you are creating a situation where isolating them from reality makes it easier for others to convince them guns are bad.

On the wife side, sounds like you need to fix that too. I not sure what kind of ridiculous reason your wife is giving for not telling your kids it's ok that their parents plan on protecting them at all times.

My 6 month old already has her first rifle, so...

I got a late start, my 6 year old just got her first a couple months ago. She knows what's going on, as I'm regularly around the house with a pistol grip hanging out of my waistband, and we talk about it some. Another thing to consider is why you carry. If your plan is to protect your loved ones, I suggest letting them in on the plan. Talk about what you're going to do if the SHTF while you're at the grocery store and what you expect out of them. No, not that you will assign them a sector and demand covering fire, but they need to know what your "I'm not ****ing around, get behind me and stay there" voice means.

I got a late start, my 6 year old just got her first a couple months ago. She knows what's going on, as I'm regularly around the house with a pistol grip hanging out of my waistband, and we talk about it some. Another thing to consider is why you carry. If your plan is to protect your loved ones, I suggest letting them in on the plan. Talk about what you're going to do if the SHTF while you're at the grocery store and what you expect out of them. No, not that you will assign them a sector and demand covering fire, but they need to know what your "I'm not ****ing around, get behind me and stay there" voice means.

+1

Remember, the only thing kids learn in school is cower in place.

I'm saying, ask your kids if carrying a gun is good or bad. They don't know you do, and schools and TV are pretty much teaching them everyday that people who do carry are not good guys. So, I'm pointing out that you are creating a situation where isolating them from reality makes it easier for others to convince them guns are bad.

On the wife side, sounds like you need to fix that too. I not sure what kind of ridiculous reason your wife is giving for not telling your kids it's ok that their parents plan on protecting them at all times.

My kids know both good guys and bad guys have guns. My kids do NOT watch network tv with news or commercials where they would be exposed to if someone says"gun are bad" and as of now guns are bad taught at school is not the case. For now they are sheltered from that until they are the right age but they are well aware that guns in the right hands are good. . I think you have created and assumed a lot without asking me first.

My wife never grew up with guns. She wants to be careful is all on when and at what age some may find appropriate IF there is one. That was my question. So how old were your kids when your kids knew? If 1,2 3 years of age GREAT! But an age is what I was after...can you manage that?

My kids know both good guys and bad guys have guns. My kids do NOT watch network tv with news or commercials where they would be exposed to if someone says"gun are bad" and as of now guns are bad taught at school is not the case. For now they are sheltered from that until they are the right age but they are well aware that guns in the right hands are good. . I think you have created and assumed a lot without asking me first.

My wife never grew up with guns. She wants to be careful is all on when and at what age some may find appropriate IF there is one. That was my question. So how old were your kids when your kids knew? If 1,2 3 years of age GREAT! But an age is what I was after...can you manage that?

All my kids have been going to gun ranges since they were born. They have always known we carry. My youngest was shooting at NES events when he was two. I have three kids, boys and a girl.

I don't hide guns from children, because doing so only invites curiosity and thus risk.

At what age do you tell them you carry a credit card for emergencies?

The point is the fact that you carry should be so organic in your household that to question it seems absurd.

Now range time, that is debatable but I think BB or pellet guns should be introduced by 6 (adjusted for each child). 22s to follow as maturity allows.

I started late with mine - my daughter was 12 before she was shooting the 30-06 but she is petite.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom