At what age to tell your kids you cc daily (too young?)

All my kids have been going to gun ranges since they were born. They have always known we carry. My youngest was shooting at NES events when he was two. I have three kids, boys and a girl.

I don't hide guns from children, because doing so only invites curiosity and thus risk.

Thanks for your input! I plan to teach my kids not only gun safety but also hopes of bringing them to the range in the near future. Unfortunately massachusetts requires me to "hide"these guns (in a safe) so I have no choice. Others states might be different.

Thanks for your input! I plan to teach my kids not only gun safety but also hopes of bringing them to the range in the near future. Unfortunately massachusetts requires me to "hide"these guns (in a safe) so I have no choice. Others states might be different.

Mass doesn't stop you from carrying around the house, right? I'd consider doing that. It's a great way to have it visible to your kids, while being under your total control, and letting a conversation start with them.

At what age do you tell them you carry a credit card for emergencies?

The point is the fact that you carry should be so organic in your household that to question it seems absurd.

Now range time, that is debatable but I think BB or pellet guns should be introduced by 6 (adjusted for each child). 22s to follow as maturity allows.

I started late with mine - my daughter was 12 before she was shooting the 30-06 but she is petite.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I never questioned if I should carry or not! Just curious to age of informing my kids. I like your idea on bb and pellet. Thank you.

Really? It's not like you're telling them they're adopted or Santa's not real. God, only in Massachusetts...

Santa not real. Hehe. You're funny. Then how does my Christmas ammo show up under my tree? You know it's magic Santa cuz there's 22LR in there, not just unloved 40 or something.

Mass doesn't stop you from carrying around the house, right? I'd consider doing that. It's a great way to have it visible to your kids, while being under your total control, and letting a conversation start with them.

I carry almost 20 7 otherwise locked in my safe. My comment on mass compliance was for those curious kids; safe was to a previous poster regarding curious kids and guns are risky. My kids don't know yet. That will change soon but wanted the age that my nes friends have followed.

I carry almost 20 7 otherwise locked in my safe. My comment on mass compliance was for those curious kids; safe was to a previous poster regarding curious kids and guns are risky. My kids don't know yet. That will change soon but wanted the age that my nes friends have followed.

My opinion is that introducing by carrying around the house is appropriate now. I've done so since mine was 3. Just do it one day, and be ready to have the conversation that will ensue. Take the mystery out of the guns, teach the youngsters the rules, let them touch and handle an empty gun, then head to the range once they demonstrate competence in their knowledge. Point to remember: don't force your kids into shooting. They must understand that you will have your gat strapped, and that they're not to handle a gun without your express permission, but if they don't want to shoot, don't make them. I've seen a lot of kids who just weren't ready end up hating shooting because it was rammed down their throat.

My opinion is that introducing by carrying around the house is appropriate now. I've done so since mine was 3. Just do it one day, and be ready to have the conversation that will ensue. Take the mystery out of the guns, teach the youngsters the rules, let them touch and handle an empty gun, then head to the range once they demonstrate competence in their knowledge. Point to remember: don't force your kids into shooting. They must understand that you will have your gat strapped, and that they're not to handle a gun without your express permission, but if they don't want to shoot, don't make them. I've seen a lot of kids who just weren't ready end up hating shooting because it was rammed down their throat.

Thanks for the advice! My son has been interested in shooting and has been told he has to wait just a little bit longer. My daughter seems to love anything her dad loves. If they don't find interest in it so be it but so far so good. Last thing I will be is that guy...that shoves it down their throat. Not my style.

My Daughter is 4, I was getting dressed the other day and I had my new FDE G26 IWB and she says Daddy, I like your new shooty thing! I like the color. so she clearly pays attention. I have taken her too Waynes a few times, she sits and watches me and they wife shoot some steele. I feel like it exposes her to it. and we talk rules all they time..

Back
Top Bottom