• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

At what point do you take a defensive stance when someone approaches you in your car?

You will lose this legal battle 99% of the time. Just keep driving and if if things start to escalate, call 911.

Also, never let yourself get boxed in. Always leave enough room between you and the car in front of you at a stop light to pull out and drive away if something happens.
Stopping so you can see the rear wheels of the car in front of you gives you the necessary room.

The first Concealed Handgun Licenses in Texas were issued in January 1996. Before that, it was effectively illegal to carry a handgun anywhere in Texas.

Within a month, there was the first instance of a CHL holder killing someone in self defense.

Gordon Hale (licensee) was in slow Dallas traffic when his mirror was clipped by Kenny Tavai driving a box truck as part of his skills testing for a job he was applying for (with the tester in the truck with him).

Hale dropped back to get the number off this commercial vehicle, but did not otherwise engage. It was a minor brush, at worst.

Tavai saw this, and as soon as both vehicles were stopped he ran out and around to confront Hale, who was trapped in traffic. He began punching Hale through the window. Hale, 40 years older and 100 pounds lighter, losing consciousness and suffering what turned out to be permanent vision loss, slumped onto the passenger seat, pulled out the pistol he had there covered by a towel (not a wise carry method, but in worked in this case), and fired a single blind shot under his left arm. The shot struck Tavai in the chest and he died on the scene.

It's fair to say that had he survived, Tavai would not have been offered the job.

Hale was arrested and released. The DA presented the case to a grand jury, which returned a no-bill.

That was a rare case of someone truly being trapped in traffic, but since Hale really couldn't predict that the minor incident was going to turn into road rage case, he gets a pass.

Is it true in any incident or fight, whoever calls the cops first the cops will see as the 'good guys'?
Generally speaking that is how they will approach the call in my experience but at the end of the day they are going to question people and figure it out for themselves. That's where you need to decide before they arrive, do you plead the 5th and lawyer up or give a basic rundown and don't answer any further questions. In my pepper spray incident I knew I was 110% in the right and had video evidence to prove it on the spot, and I had a working relationship with the responding PD, so I gave a simple, factual, rundown on what happened. The other guy babbled like a clown about what he did and incriminated himself so he was screwed from the start. They we're gonna charge him but I asked them not to jam him up, figured his ego was already bruised enough and he was in his company work van, didn't want him to lose his job. They respected my request, but they could have charged him if they wanted to regardless of what I wanted.

Last edited:
"They we're gonna charge him but I asked them not to jam him up, figured his ego was already bruised enough and he was in his company work van, didn't want him to lose his job. They respected my request, but they could have charged him if they wanted to regardless of what I wanted"

Nice guys finish last.

What's a defensive stance in a car? Windows up, in gear, clutch in or brake on, hands on wheel, can see the tires of the car in front? Sounds good to me.

I'll relate a road rage story from +30 years ago. Was driving to work through Concord, MA. Was cut off and nearly t-boned by someone headed north into the Great Road rotary (not the prison one) as I was going east on 62. I tapped the horn (yeah I know, should have just let him go). He turned onto 62 east, the same direction I was going so I followed him (not closely). He stopped in the middle of the road with no room to get by due to buildings and parked cars, hopped out of his car, and came back to my car screaming and yelling. I kept the window up. When someone blocked behind us honked he finished up with an invitation to go into the parking lot behind the Catholic church just ahead and "settle this like men". He hopped into his car, ripped into the lot, and jumped out. I just drove on by and waved. Does that qualify as a defensive stance?

I drop a mix of 2 smoke (yellow and green) and 1 CS grenades to disorient anyone coming, then tactical roll to the passenger seat. I remove my shotgun from under the dash which simultaneously activates my trunk monkey, turning my pickup into a technical. I retake the driver seat, being sure to blade at a 45 degree angle and drive away yelling "You will NOT touch me" as the trunk monkey provides cover fire.

I always leave some room from the car in front of me in case I need to get the F out of dodge. Windows up, doors locked, and AC on if you’re in a bad area. Always remember that you’re driving a piece of steel that weighs a ton and can go over 100mph. If you get out of the car to engage in an armed confrontation, you’ll probably go to jail.

"They we're gonna charge him but I asked them not to jam him up, figured his ego was already bruised enough and he was in his company work van, didn't want him to lose his job. They respected my request, but they could have charged him if they wanted to regardless of what I wanted"

Nice guys finish last.
That is a setup for youor insurance company negotiating a settlement when the other guy sues - no charges :== innocent victim. You appear to have got very lucky.

If you can drive away, you should. Wife just served on a jury and the defendant was found guilty because he could have just driven away. The whole thing was captured on video by a store clerk. Now a days, you have no idea who’s watching.
Kentucky's stand your ground law eliminates that type malicious and wrongful prosecution.

Absolutely NO DUTY TO RETREAT.

You will lose this legal battle 99% of the time. Just keep driving and if if things start to escalate, call 911.

Also, never let yourself get boxed in. Always leave enough room between you and the car in front of you at a stop light to pull out and drive away if something happens.
With enough motivation, you can't be 'boxed in'.

personally, I would dive off if at all possible. Never get out of a car. I would get my phone to record.
I have pepper spray, so that's my first defense.

I lock the car and close windows. I make sure my firearm is ready. If the car is breached, I use the pepper spray first.

If I am with my grandchildren, I display my firearm as soon as he/she exits their car, don't even come close to me. I replace pepper spray with firearm.

at least that's the plan.

1. If you're able to drive away from a threat, do it. Standing your ground in a road rage incident may be legal in 38* states but it's stupid in 50 of them. Even if you're at an accident scene where you have a legal duty to remain, nobody's going to convict you of a hit-and-run if you're immediately on the phone with 911 credibly telling the operator that you're driving away in fear of your life.

2. Do not get sucked into heated arguments at accident scenes. If you've already gotten out of your car to inspect the damage and the other driver starts being an a**h***, just cut them off with "I'm not doing this" and get back in your car with the windows up until the cops arrive.

3. I'm generally a big advocate for always carrying a less-lethal alternative alongside a gun, but I don't think pepper spray and the like have any place in defending a vehicle from a threat outside it. If I have to use force in that situation then I'm going straight for my gun, and my go-button for doing so will be the breach or imminent breach of my car window. Any implement which can break my car window can also break my skull, so I don't think I would have any problem defending the proportionality of my response.

*Possibly 40, but I think the two that make special exceptions for vehicles only refer to staying in your vehicle, not to keeping your vehicle where it is.

That is a setup for youor insurance company negotiating a settlement when the other guy sues - no charges :== innocent victim. You appear to have got very lucky.
Not at all in this case, at the time I dealt with these officers on almost a daily basis apprehending shoplifters, I could have literally sent a text message to have them charge the guy if he decided to pursue anything and they told me they had no problem doing it if he tried to pursue anything, the police report was written completely in my favor, I had clear audio and video of the encounter, he sustained no injuries, declined medical assistance, there was no property damage, etc. There also was no exchange of information and the copy of the police report he would have been able to obtain does not include any victim information. He would have had to lawyer up out of pocket to find anything out. The guy knew he f***ed up, police sgt. literally told him he was a moron, not much he could have done after the fact.

Last edited:
personally, I would dive off if at all possible. Never get out of a car. I would get my phone to record.
I have pepper spray, so that's my first defense.

I lock the car and close windows. I make sure my firearm is ready. If the car is breached, I use the pepper spray first.

If I am with my grandchildren, I display my firearm as soon as he/she exits their car, don't even come close to me. I replace pepper spray with firearm.

at least that's the plan.
I get where you are talking about. But I'd strongly resist actually 'displaying' the firearm. That could go either way. The guy will say you had a tire going low and he was just really REALLY intent on telling you about it.

Once he's closed the distance, things change, but initial flash of a firearm is bad juju in my opinion. Others may come in and counter, and I live in a pretty solid 2A state.

f893b-16242961335394.png

If you can't defend yourself with a gun, drive this with full rage then.

Once he's closed the distance, things change, but initial flash of a firearm is bad juju in my opinion. Others may come in and counter, and I live in a pretty solid 2A state.
Depends on the state (geographically that is, not state of mind). In MA once you let the other party know you have a gun, even if you do not unholster it, reach towards or or make any verbal threat, you give the other party almost unfettered ability to have you criminally charged. Less so is states like TX.

Depends on the state (geographically that is, not state of mind). In MA once you let the other party know you have a gun, even if you do not unholster it, reach towards or or make any verbal threat, you give the other party almost unfettered ability to have you criminally charged. Less so is states like TX.
Like I said, even in Tx, if you do something stupid, you could still get jammed up depending. Big city, more likely with a leftist DA.

Stay in your car, pepper spray if you are engaged and can't retreat,.. firearm as last resort and they better have their own gun at that point.
Good advice, if one can keep a clear head during just 2-3 seconds when he might be killed. Panic sets in fast, I suspect, unless one is really well trained.

I carried a can of SABRE pepper spray in the door pocket of my car. When it hit it’s expiration date, I discharged it with the wind at my back. It just sputtered and fizzled a bit. Maybe hot car storage reduces shelf life?

Back
Top Bottom