ATF eForm 1 mega thread. Process and approvals!

E file form 1:
Filed June 29th
Received cover letter for print submittal on July 20th
Received stamp on September 17th

80 days

eForm 1 submitted 7/23
fingerprints mailed 7/25
Delivered 7/27

AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDD still waiting. Damnit.

eForm 1 submitted 9/3
fingerprints received 9/8 (self taken)
denied 9/22 - missing pre-fix on serial number

Will give it another try. Hopefully this helps someone in the future. It wasn't clear to me on the receiver if that was part of the SN or not. I don't know if a picture would have helped here. I also had a number of issues with the site in browsers besides chrome. The known manufacturer drop down wasn't working.

eForm 1 submitted 9/3
fingerprints received 9/8 (self taken)
denied 9/22 - missing pre-fix on serial number

Will give it another try. Hopefully this helps someone in the future. It wasn't clear to me on the receiver if that was part of the SN or not. I don't know if a picture would have helped here. I also had a number of issues with the site in browsers besides chrome. The known manufacturer drop down wasn't working.

Usually the system will not validate the firearm if the serial number is wrong. I messed one up the other day and when I got to the end it wouldn’t validate. I was able to go back and fix it. Sorry this shit happened.

Just thinking this through. My wife and I both have wills and trusts, plus a family trust. Convoluted but seemingly the best way to avoid probate and some taxes.

Anyway... does the creation of an NFA trust need to recognize our existing personal and family trusts? Or do our existing trusts need to be modified to recognize the NFA trusts?

The major reason I'd go NFA trust is so I could give my son access to any NFA items we might acquire.

thx

There's generally no need for your gun trust to reference or recognize another existing trust. Similarly, there's generally no need for your existing trusts to be modified to reference or recognize your existing trusts. I use the word "generally", because it's always possible, but I've never had the need to draft a firearm trust in that way. A gun trust is best seen as a part of your estate plan, but in most cases won't interact with your other estate plan documents or trusts.

This is amusing...

3 Form 1's filed in July.

Last week, one was approved. I got the stamp by email.
The next day, another was approved. I go the stamp by email.

On the website, the 3rd one was approved, but I never go the stamp by email.

I'll have to call on Monday.

They probably got confused because the serial numbers were similar.

Just goes to show that the NFA folks can make mistakes.

I think the reason why it took 60 days was because I'm using a VAF PIN.
Perhaps those PIN folks get put in back of the line.

I tried to download my stamp from the website but I don't think there is a copy.
Only by email.

This is amusing...

3 Form 1's filed in July.

Last week, one was approved. I got the stamp by email.
The next day, another was approved. I go the stamp by email.

On the website, the 3rd one was approved, but I never go the stamp by email.

I'll have to call on Monday.

They probably got confused because the serial numbers were similar.

Just goes to show that the NFA folks can make mistakes.

I think the reason why it took 60 days was because I'm using a VAF PIN.
Perhaps those PIN folks get put in back of the line.

I tried to download my stamp from the website but I don't think there is a copy.
Only by email.
If you go to the website to check, you can download a copy of the stamp from the "Approved" folder on the website.

Form 1.JPG

Last edited:
That would be just great but what is the next step?

I have a list of my approved SBR's but I don't know where to find that file in there.

Thank You!
When you click on Form 1 (circled above), the system will list all your approved Forms 1. Click on the Eyeball-looking thing at the end of the line of the Form 1 for which you're missing the copy. It will take you to this page:

LE Snip.JPG

Click on "View Form" (circled), it will download the approved form.

Last edited:
When you click on Form 1 (circled above), the system will list all your approved Forms 1. Click on the Eyeball-looking thing at the end of the line of the Form 1 for which you're missing the copy. It will take you to this page:

View attachment 393949

Click on "View Form" (circled), it will download the approved form.
That's just what I needed!

EDIT:

I spoke too soon.

When I click on "View Form" it shows the application.

I want the file that has the Tax Stamp on it.

The file that I can download says "Submitted" but does not include the stamp.

I'll call ATF tomorrow to have them email it to me.

Last edited:
Wait. Is it in the "Approved" folder? On the line of interest, does is have a date under "Submitted" and "Finalized?" If so, when you select the View Form (eyeball thing), and go to the next screen, it should either open or download a PDF called "FORM53201-APPROVED.pdf." (My browsers are set up to auto download when I click on .pdf links.)

Are you doing this on a Windows PC, or a Mac? There have been a lot of reports of iOS not playing well with eForms. I don't know if that's just mobile devices or not.

I have a mac.

The gun is listed under "Approved" and "Form 1".

The other SBRs from that day have stamps.

When I view the form for this gun in particular is only says submitted in big letters across the form and there is not a "Tax Stamp" like the others.

All 3 were submitted at the same time on identical lowers and details.

They might have missed it since there serial numbers are similar.

I'll provide more info after I call them up on Monday.

Huh. I'll be interested in what you find out. Please let us know how it turns out.
I called them up.

They said to post a question on the "Ask the Experts" tab.

I explained the situation on Monday in a message to them.

This morning I received the stamp for the remaining SBR.

Originally when receiving stamps, I'd back them up on various media for good measure and print multiple copies.
Now, I see that I can download a copy whenever I want from the ATF.

I feel like this delay was a benefit to me because I didn't realize there is a copy in my file.

As a postal stamp buff, I always thought it would be cool to have an actual $200 tax stamp.
In the digital world, however, I can print off a copy whenever I want.

This would make a cool T-Shirt:

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 11.18.30 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
Submitted 2 form 1's for SBR, C&R renewal and VAF application for UPIN, I have been delayed in the past, but should have multiple background checks going on soon

Submitted 9/20
print received 9/28

When do you guys usually mail your CLEO letter?

I was about to mail my CLEO letter when i realized there’s still the chance my form 1 doesn’t get approved this time around. Does it make sense to wait until the form 1 is approved?

When do you guys usually mail your CLEO letter?

I was about to mail my CLEO letter when i realized there’s still the chance my form 1 doesn’t get approved this time around. Does it make sense to wait until the form 1 is approved?

You are supposed to send it immediately. The theory being that if your CLEO has localized information about you they could contact the ATF and stop the process. This is a good example of government actually believing they are efficient.

My wife filed her eForm 1 for an SBR earlier this month and the ATF received her prints via Priority Mail within four days.
She got an email notifying her that the application status had been changed to Approved after 15 days total

She did her own prints and truthfully I thought they were horrendous but the bureau took them.

🐯

88 days and counting in background check hell.

As of last week - They’re processing delays from 6/4. I applied 7/24, so it looks like I’ve still got awhile.

That’s insane. When you call do they tell you it’s pending the FBI background check or do they offer no details. I won’t say I’ve never seen somebody wait 133 days but it’s incredibly rare. 14 days is the typical time right now. I’ve never believed politicians give a shit about us but others have claimed reaching out to your congressman or senator is helpful. I think it’s strictly coincidence.

That’s insane. When you call do they tell you it’s pending the FBI background check or do they offer no details. I won’t say I’ve never seen somebody wait 133 days but it’s incredibly rare. 14 days is the typical time right now. I’ve never believed politicians give a shit about us but others have claimed reaching out to your congressman or senator is helpful. I think it’s strictly coincidence.
Phone call provided no info. I had to email to find out it was pending FBI.

I can't believe of fast some of you are!!!

I just called up and talked to one of the lead examiners.

As of today - she is approving forms that were submitted on August 18th.

My last form was submitted (I mean initially applied for) on September 6th.
Still says pending research.

Her "Ask The Experts" email account has 1800 unanswered emails - she said.

She said there are 300,000 applications of late.

My last batch of Form 1's took 65 days.

It's much worse now.

This is coming from one of the lead people in the NFA area - not that boob who answers the phone and knows nothing.

Things will only get worse so I will apply for more stamps before Biden gets in.

EDIT:

I just applied for 2 more Form 1's.

They were submitted immediately.

I got the cover letter to send with the prints.

No idea why the NFA lady said they were so far behind.

My Form 1 from September is STILL PENDING RESEARCH.

EDIT 2:

Just went here to read comments:
NFA Tracker...

So many Form 1 filers are getting approvals very fast.

Why did the woman I talked to say they were working on August 18th submissions when my own submission (today) went through is 30 seconds and I already sent out my prints, today?

Last edited:

It's much worse now.

This is coming from one of the lead people in the NFA area - not that boob who answers the phone and knows nothing.

Things will only get worse so I will apply for more stamps before Biden gets in.

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

NFA Tracker...

Why did the woman I talked to say they were working on August 18th submissions when my own submission (today) went through is 30 seconds and I already sent out my prints, today?

Sorry but isn't it true that...

Everyone's "Submission (today) went through is 30 seconds" as this is the electronic equivalent of filling it out with a pen, sticking a stamp on it, and tossing it in the mail.

Acceptance of a submission is the nothing more than just that acceptance, no human eye has reviewed the form yet and it could be rejected the first time it is looked at due to an error or omission.

Review is not the same as research. If you have an FBI file that needs to be looked at or anything comes up in the initial check that has to be qualified your application is then going to go straight into that pile for further research. Akin to getting a delay when buying a gun except with much fewer staff dedicated to researching and giving the proceed.

🐯

Last edited:

It's much worse now.

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

NFA Tracker...

I had a 12 day approval yesterday, so things are moving pretty fast right now. Pending research is taking forever right now, if this is an application to build a silencer its common to get pending research unless you use parameters from the dropdown lists and not a unique name. Getting pending research on an SBR is very uncommon and usually means there has been an error. Unless you are the first person ever to submit that item for an SBR.

Back
Top Bottom