• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F - Grace Period (and free stamp) Expiring 5/31

I don't see this as a free state vs not thing. thats just kinda clouding the waters, someone either wants an SBR or they don't'.

However, one could argue, hey if I register this, now I can put a real stock on it, etc.... I guess if that tickles someones fancy. Or they had like an AK pistol and wanted to put a real folder on it or something, or build an underfolder with a short barrel, etc. so on.

Of course it makes me wonder. Say the supreme court comes along and says "no, you dont get to rewrite the law and a braced pistol is not an SBR". Whats to stop the ATF from simply revoking the free stamps? (although AFAIK they have never reneged on an amnesty). I strongly suspect that most smarter observers think of this more like an SBR amnesty vs caring aboutr a pistol brace being illegal or not.
I’m thinking it might be a way to get a couple free sbr stamps. I have no need for an ar pistol, but another sbr has been on my mind

Did you have possession of your SBR’s and suppressors before your tax stamps were approved? How about the braced pistols?
^ This is a key point that many don't take into consideration ^

These are some of the real facts:

By filing the amnesty brace application, you are admitting on a legal gvt document, that you either constructed with/without intent, and/or were already in possession of = an illegal SBR, and are now asking for a one-time forgiveness.

With the brace amnesty approval, you WILL NOT receive an official gvt classification stamp, as is the case with an approved Form 1 application.

**** Realize that the ATF = HAS and WILL continue to make random arbitrary rulings and decisions in the unforeseen future (regardless of what some of their past stated public rulings were).
What does that mean?
It means that THEY CAN .... AND .... THEY HAVE gone back and CHANGED what they have officially ruled and announced in the past.****

Last edited:
Did you have possession of your SBR’s and suppressors before your tax stamps were approved? How about the braced pistols?
No I didn’t have possession of the SBR’s and suppressors prior to receiving the stamp. I did prepay for them. Yes I do possess the braced pistols. I planned to SBR most of them before this all dropped so I see this as an opportunity. I don’t agree with them or their actions but I did use it to my advantage within the current NFA. I will cheer if/when the NFA gets struck down or SBR’s get removed.

By filing the amnesty brace application, you are admitting on a legal gvt document, that you either constructed with/without intent, and/or were already in possession of = an illegal SBR, and are now asking for a one time forgiveness.

With the brace amnesty approval, you will NOT receive an official gvt classification stamp, as is the case with an approved Form 1 application.

**** Realize that the ATF = HAS and WILL continue to make random arbitrary rulings and decisions in the unseen future (regardless of what some of their past stated public rulings were).
What does that mean?
It means that they can .... AND .... they HAVE gone back and changed what they have officially announced in the past.****
This is a good reminder. Also prior to the brace rules they were looking for a chance to apply their SBR point system. I could see them doing such if they lose their braces argument. They will just spin it as having nothing to do with the braces but use the rest of their point system.

I heard shooters outpost is doing fingerprints for $50. Is there a cheaper way in NH to get prints?

I heard shooters outpost is doing fingerprints for $50. Is there a cheaper way in NH to get prints?
It’s not cheaper but I had my own EFT file created using Print Scan at a UPS Store. that way you have the file yourself and can use it as many times as you want. It was $65 for the scan and file.

Fwiw I also did a Passport photo while I was there and had them email me the digital copy.

Can you get prints done and use for multiple submissions or is it $50 per ?
From the way they wrote it. It sounds like they are doing Ink prints. They mention the 2 cards required. I would just get the EFT file for $65.

Edit to add the link. PrintScan

Go under Services and choose ATF Fingerprinting.

Last edited:
From the way they wrote it. It sounds like they are doing Ink prints. They mention the 2 cards required. I would just get the EFT file for $65.

Edit to add the link. PrintScan

Go under Services and choose ATF Fingerprinting.
So, just walk into the post office with ID? They email you the files? Sorry I’m not familiar. Assuming you need to go to a larger PO?

Edit. Just clicked the link. Shows 2 locations about 20 miles away.

FWIW, some members on ARFcom have done their own finger print cards, and the ATF accepted them.

(The ATF instructions do not state that the print cards have to be done by any "official" LE agencies nor similar entities, which is why Shooters can offer the service). If you have done any official documents with prints, you should already know how its done (hard press with a slight "roll" of each finger tip).

Examples:

Amazon product ASIN B00E9EZZRQView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9EZZRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B004C5FRK2View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C5FRK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
So, just walk into the post office with ID? They email you the files? Sorry I’m not familiar. Assuming you need to go to a larger PO?

Edit. Just clicked the link. Shows 2 locations about 20 miles away.
Fillout the order info on PrintScan.com put your payment info in. make an appt at a nearby Scanner. I used the UPS store in Nashua(they didn’t actually require an appt) It’s self service when you get there. Print Scan gives you a QR code when you finished the online order. Bring your 2 ID’s with you to UPS. They will verify them when you scan your QR into the machine and off you go. once you’re done. Print Scan will verify your prints and email you the file. Mine arrived about 15 minutes after I finished scanning.

That’s where I had my passport photo taken as well.

FWIW, some members on ARFcom have used their own & did their own finger print cards, and the ATF accepted them.

(The ATF instructions do not state that the print cards have to be done by any "official" LE agencies nor similar entities, which is why Shooters can offer the service). If you have done any official documents with prints, you should already know how its done (hard press with a slight "roll" of each finger tip).

Examples:

Amazon product ASIN B00E9EZZRQView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9EZZRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B004C5FRK2View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C5FRK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can get fingerprint cards mailed to you from the ATF as well. I have a stack of those. I just don’t trust myself to roll good ink prints. So I went the Electronic route. First through Silencershop using prints I knew would pass. and then used the EFT file from PrintScan.

Someone check me if I'm wrong here...

When a manufacturer assembled an AR-based pistol, that configuration, linked to the model and serial numbers, were reported / approved by the AFT. They advertise them on their website and sell a bunch of them. AFT now knows that Model "P15" serial numbers 11111 through 22222 were designed, marketed and sold as braced pistols or, in their "opinion", short barreled rifles.

Grace period expires and now AFT does a serial number comparison of those "P15" braced pistols that have been registered as SBRs to their original manufacturers list. For the sake of discussion, let's say they find 50 of them that were manufactured and sold but not registered. They then go to the FFLs and get copies of the 4473's for those 50 "P15"s that were transferred but not reported. They discover that Mr. Joe Gunowner owns 5 of them. They do a little research on Joe to see if he will be their Poster Boy and jackpot! Joe is a pretty outspoken 2A supporter. He's white. He has a Trump flag on his house. He has a bunch of posts online disparaging Bud Light drinkers and illegal immigration and CRT. He has online posts and videos of his pistols with their SBA4's and Magpul drums, some even published after the rule took effect.

AFT gets a warrant from an Obama appointed judge to search the residence of Joe Gunowner based on their belief that he is in possession of 5 unregistered short barrel rifles. Because he owns guns it has to be a no-knock middle of the night operation with tanks and BDUs and CNN crews. Doors get kicked in, dogs get shot and an "arsenal" is seized.

Seems extreme but would you put it past them? Echoes of Ruby Ridge...They don't need all of them. They need SOME of them, enough to send the message and sway public sentiment. Hell, look at Maura's "opinion" and how it has MA gunowners afraid of their own shadows.

By filing the amnesty brace application, you are admitting on a legal gvt document, that you either constructed with/without intent, and/or were already in possession of = an illegal SBR, and are now asking for a one-time forgiveness.

With the brace amnesty approval, you WILL NOT receive an official gvt classification stamp, as is the case with an approved Form 1 application.

**** Realize that the ATF = HAS and WILL continue to make random arbitrary rulings and decisions in the unseen future (regardless of what some of their past stated public rulings were).
What does that mean?
It means that THEY CAN .... AND .... THEY HAVE gone back and CHANGED what they have officially ruled and announced in the past.****
Sorry no ex post facto rules apply. Have a nice day.

**** Realize that the ATF = HAS and WILL continue to make random arbitrary rulings and decisions in the unforeseen future (regardless of what some of their past stated public rulings were).
What does that mean?

Bingo. You’ve now given them all the evidence they need to prove you’ve illegally possessed an SBR. They were just nice enough not to charge you yet. After all, that was just their opinion/rule at the time, and not actually the law!

“But they wouldn’t do that!”

They have already. See what they are doing to people with FRT’s and auto key cards and bump stocks. See what they do to people with completely legal and properly registered NFA firearms like this poor guy:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x65LUeAvt_s

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHePnWrBeo

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2K3uKkicd5k

Sensational and misleading comment? The ATF does not provide an official stamp for e-filed Form 1's either, which I assume you know. The approval is emailed to you so that you can print and keep with the firearm- same goes for the former arm brace SBR. Process is the same except for no payment necessary.

As far as all the "It's a trap!!!" hyperbole, there is 26 U.S.C. 5848. The arm-flappers in this thread should look that one up.

It’s not cheaper but I had my own EFT file created using Print Scan at a UPS Store. that way you have the file yourself and can use it as many times as you want. It was $65 for the scan and file.

Fwiw I also did a Passport photo while I was there and had them email me the digital copy.
I have an appt to for printscan at the UPS store in plaistow today. Hoping I can get the passport photo done there at the same time.

I have an appt to for printscan at the UPS store in plaistow today. Hoping I can get the passport photo done there at the same time.
Plaistow UPS is a shit show 😂 took a half hour to do the prints, no help from staff, and the passport picture person was MIA. Gonna just take em myself and submit.

Sensational and misleading comment? The ATF does not provide an official stamp for e-filed Form 1's either, which I assume you know. The approval is emailed to you so that you can print and keep with the firearm- same goes for the former arm brace SBR. Process is the same except for no payment necessary.

As far as all the "It's a trap!!!" hyperbole, there is 26 U.S.C. 5848. The arm-flappers in this thread should look that one up.

Yes. We all know the ATF has good honest intentions and would never use this as a reason to ruin people’s lives.

And LMAO about your understanding of that statute as if that’s somehow some safeguard against the government using info against you! Dear lord man.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOmQe8Wvdmw

Yes. We all know the ATF has good honest intentions and would never use this as a reason to ruin people’s lives.

And LMAO about your understanding of that statute as if that’s somehow some safeguard against the government using info against you! Dear lord man.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOmQe8Wvdmw

View attachment 753207 ATF in the green jacket.

Well, living in Mass I've already got my "Baa, baa, baa" down pretty good. Other than the ridiculous fixed mag option, one cannot legally have an AR pistol here. I know NH and KY are completely different situations. For here, I can have an SBR but it's gotta have a permission slip from the ATF sheep drivers.

ATF in Massachusetts (the dog)

DimGloriousAvocet-size_restricted.gif

ATF in Kentucky (still the dog)

sheep-dog.gif

This one's for my fellow NES brethren still behind enemy lines in the PRM-

5/23/23: "Breaking News"

ASHINGTON (AP) — A federal appeals court dealt a legal setback to the Biden administration on guns Tuesday in a lawsuit challenging tighter regulations on stabilizing braces, an accessory that has been used in several mass shootings in the U.S.

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals temporarily blocked the Biden administration's rule from going into effect for the gun owners and groups who filed the lawsuit. The order came shortly before a deadline that would have required people to register stabilizing braces and pay a fee, or remove the braces from their weapons ....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom