ATF Firearms Industry Operations Manual Obtained via GOA FOIA Request

I once handled a 2nd Gen Glock. Serial number on box was CCV746US. Serial number (the official Glock sticker) on box was CVC746US. (That is just a example)
I wonder how the dealer corrects his/her bound book if they used the box s/n when entering it into inventory, or account for the mismatch if they discover the error and they are entering data that does not match the shipper's record (come trace time: Glock says they deliver CVS1234 to you, what do you mean it's not in your bound book?)

And the next inspector you get will ding you for using the abbreviation. One thing you learn when you have 10 different inspectors doing 50 dealers in a short period of time is the variability between inspectors and how they interpret certain rules. They are just people and they too make mistakes
That inspection at the mill was more "in depth" than any I've had in the past. Jack.

That seems like it would be one of the biggest ways to make an error. I had a dealer order a rifle for me. It was in the box, and he did the 4473 based on the sticker on the box. I asked him if he was going to check the serial number on the rifle. His reply was basically that "They're very good about having the sticker with serial number on the box match what's inside". I checked anyway, myself.

The sticker on the box is all that gets checked when they do the inspection and match inventory. You are supposed to check the actual gun at the time of sale and you should check it when logging in, but you know shortcuts get taken. If the manufacture marked the box wrong, it could make it all the way to the end user without being checked and the entire paper trail could be wrong. The system is not perfect.

The sticker on the box is all that gets checked when they do the inspection and match inventory. You are supposed to check the actual gun at the time of sale and you should check it when logging in, but you know shortcuts get taken. If the manufacture marked the box wrong, it could make it all the way to the end user without being checked and the entire paper trail could be wrong. The system is not perfect.

It's a question I posed to my IOI a while back - specifically wrt model # vs model name, he instructed me to always log the info from the gun itself, not the box - the thought being the box often gets thrown away.

Back
Top Bottom