ATF flagged for unlawful employment practices

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
ATF broke the law by paying agents millions in wrongful benefits, watchdog tells Biden

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for years illegally overpaid up to $20 million to agents and investigators who worked in non-law enforcement positions by misclassifying them as law enforcement posts, a government investigator said Tuesday.

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel, which disclosed the mismanagement, said it had alerted President Joe Biden and Congress of “substantial waste, mismanagement and unlawful employment practices” involving high-level jobs at ATF.

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel said that during a five-year period that officials investigated, 108 ATF employees who worked in non-law enforcement jobs “were improperly provided Law Enforcement Availability Pay (LEAP) and enhanced retirement benefits.”

I'm not sure what this has to do with Biden. Sounds like the ATF has been doing this for years. No indication if it was malicious or someone just dropped the ball repeatedly.

Again, this is NOT the gorilla of budget balancing. No one wants to talk about the gorillas of budget balancing - SSI, Medical, Military.

I'm not sure what this has to do with Biden. Sounds like the ATF has been doing this for years. No indication if it was malicious or someone just dropped the ball repeatedly.

Lol how about both?

If it's happening under his DOJ and he does nothing, Biden is part of the problem, as is Trump and most of the others who basically "couldn't be bothered" to flush the toilet of Federal LE.

Lol how about both?

If it's happening under his DOJ and he does nothing, Biden is part of the problem, as is Trump and most of the others who basically "couldn't be bothered" to flush the toilet of Federal LE.
Somebody squealed!

Again, this is NOT the gorilla of budget balancing. No one wants to talk about the gorillas of budget balancing - SSI, Medical, Military.
A million here, a million there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money.

Every penny counts.

The federal 50/20 LE/FF system is set up so that almost anyone who spends two years in a direct role will retain their LE/FF retirement system status even if they transfer to an indirect role in a regional or national HQ office. I've seen it: people hire on, work 2-3 years in a direct role (meaning they routinely deal with criminals on a daily basis), then transfer to a regional office and never seen another criminal again until they hit the mandatory retirement age of 57. Or it could be a training center role, where they instruct new employees at the academy.

The LE Availability Pay is completely different. Anyone who receives it must be in a primary LE role, must be subject to on-call status, and will receive pay for 50 hours per week even if they only work 40. If they are called in while off duty, they won't receive OT until they hit 50 hours, then they will get the same 1.5x everyone else would get after 40 hours.

They get a 25% differential every week, even if they never work over 40.

So... yeah. It's a significant payroll boondoggle.

It’s simple. He heads the executive branch which the ATF falls under.

Not that he is going to do anything about it.

Another gem…

“In response to these findings, OPM suspended ATF's authority to classify federal law enforcement positions. ATF has also begun the process of updating position descriptions to accurately reflect job duties. As of March 2023, 36 of the employees who held misclassified positions had been reassigned and another 14 had retired. ATF's Internal Affairs Division is currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the implementation of the illegal policies and practices.”

It’s all good guys! We changed some job descriptions and the ATF is investigating itself.

A million here, a million there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money.

Every penny counts.

The federal 50/20 LE/FF system is set up so that almost anyone who spends two years in a direct role will retain their LE/FF retirement system status even if they transfer to an indirect role in a regional or national HQ office. I've seen it: people hire on, work 2-3 years in a direct role (meaning they routinely deal with criminals on a daily basis), then transfer to a regional office and never seen another criminal again until they hit the mandatory retirement age of 57. Or it could be a training center role, where they instruct new employees at the academy.

The LE Availability Pay is completely different. Anyone who receives it must be in a primary LE role, must be subject to on-call status, and will receive pay for 50 hours per week even if they only work 40. If they are called in while off duty, they won't receive OT until they hit 50 hours, then they will get the same 1.5x everyone else would get after 40 hours.

They get a 25% differential every week, even if they never work over 40.

So... yeah. It's a significant payroll boondoggle.

I agree. But there are HUGER projects that need reining in and there is probably 500 things you could do to cut stupid programs completely. (See my last rant in the debt-ceiling where I said we should suspend salaries of the NEA and Dept of Education.)

Back
Top Bottom