ATF issues JSD Supply cease & desist over sale of parts that are not firearms

Mind you, I don't think it's RIGHT, but I think they could make a case for it.

On the flip side, I'm thinking the dude that buys a whole kit is likely NOT the type you want holding a firearm. The purpose of a P80 kit was to make something customly yours. Personally, if I were a gun retailer, I'd allow someone to "build" a kit of stuff themselves on my website, but I'd NEVER sell a whole-kit of a gun-in-a-box.
Many of the shops that offer the kits have a page with drop-down menus for all the variables (frame, slide, barrel, trigger, sights/optic, etc.). This lets a buyer build his own kit. Then the shop sticks it all in a box, just like they would have if you selected each item individually. This is a value-added service to a customer who is just starting out on their first build, preventing the "oops, I forgot" that happens all too often. How is that not exactly what we want in a functioning capitalism?

The example below uses a finished frame, but one could reasonably imagine switching that for a P80 frame in your choice of colors and sizes:

Mind you, I don't think it's RIGHT, but I think they could make a case for it.

On the flip side, I'm thinking the dude that buys a whole kit is likely NOT the type you want holding a firearm. The purpose of a P80 kit was to make something customly yours. Personally, if I were a gun retailer, I'd allow someone to "build" a kit of stuff themselves on my website, but I'd NEVER sell a whole-kit of a gun-in-a-box.
They have NO case for it. “80%” is just a marketing term. Every maker of 80% receivers has had to send their product to the ATF for them to determine if, as sold, it is legally a receiver or not. Every seller either has a determination letter from the ATF, or is producing an exact copy of an approved design. If the Tech branch wants to reevaluate every approved design, they can (and have for other gun models) do that. But that’s not what they’re doing. They’re shutting down businesses for selling products that were approved by the ATF.

Many of the shops that offer the kits have a page with drop-down menus for all the variables (frame, slide, barrel, trigger, sights/optic, etc.). This lets a buyer build his own kit. Then the shop sticks it all in a box, just like they would have if you selected each item individually. This is a value-added service to a customer who is just starting out on their first build, preventing the "oops, I forgot" that happens all too often. How is that not exactly what we want in a functioning capitalism?

The example below uses a finished frame, but one could reasonably imagine switching that for a P80 frame in your choice of colors and sizes:

I'm talking about the ones that got C&D's last year for literally having the entire gun in a plastic bag. No choices allowed. Again, who is buying a no-choice P80 to finish??? Hence, I would not sell that. But some retailers DID sell them.

GG - HAVING a case and WINNING a case are 2 different things. But with modern revisionist courts, you COULD see a federal court decide that GCA68 "really" means things that have a gun shape. In other news, 2 trees were cut down for having branches that looked strangely gun-like in their angles. ;)

I'm talking about the ones that got C&D's last year for literally having the entire gun in a plastic bag. No choices allowed. Again, who is buying a no-choice P80 to finish??? Hence, I would not sell that. But some retailers DID sell them.

GG - HAVING a case and WINNING a case are 2 different things. But with modern revisionist courts, you COULD see a federal court decide that GCA68 "really" means things that have a gun shape. In other news, 2 trees were cut down for having branches that looked strangely gun-like in their angles. ;)
I see your point. I also see a value to the original BBS kits. For example -
My brother is about to visit for a weekend; it could be fun to toss a couple together as a project. If we're honest, the final product is less important that the excuse to make something together while having a beer, catching up, and thumbing our noses at The Man*. (To the safety ninnies, obviously ammo would be elsewhere, and said brother is appropriately licensed).

The ability to throw my credit card into the P80 site against a single line item, and have them deliver two complete kits to my door actually sounds pretty great. We both like tinkering, but neither of us is a Glock armorer. These kits would let us learn about the way those 34 parts relate to each other without first having to make sure that the trigger I selected includes the connector.

This is like saying "the point of building your own AR is to have something different." Meanwhile, before Covfefe, LaRue would sell an assembled upper with everything but the lower. Buy that, then assemble it to a completed 80% and your rifle is identical to thousands of others. In that case, this is sort of the point. Why would it not be equally acceptable to do the same with a Glock-clone?

* the last is a pretty strong reason for anyone to build PMFs. To anyone that feels this way, being able to get lost in a sea of identical P80s might be a selling point.

They have NO case for it. “80%” is just a marketing term. Every maker of 80% receivers has had to send their product to the ATF for them to determine if, as sold, it is legally a receiver or not. Every seller either has a determination letter from the ATF, or is producing an exact copy of an approved design. If the Tech branch wants to reevaluate every approved design, they can (and have for other gun models) do that. But that’s not what they’re doing. They’re shutting down businesses for selling products that were approved by the ATF.
I want to see the determination letter on this.

Here is a newer article:

Feds Halt Sales of Homemade Guns Before August Rule Is Implemented​

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) has told one of the nation’s largest homemade firearms parts retailers, JSD Supply, to stop selling its products.

The move comes more than three months before President Joe Biden’s controversial “ghost gun” regulation goes into effect on Aug. 24, 2022.

The new rule, which is expected to be challenged in court, bans the business of manufacturing unserialized “buy-build-shoot” kits that can be purchased without a background check. The so-called ghost guns contain parts that can be assembled into a gun.

These kits will now be considered firearms under the Gun Control Act.

Pennsylvania-based JSD Supply received a letter from ATF dated May 9, 2022, ordering the company to immediately cease and desist the sale of full sets and parts that could be converted into a functioning firearm.

The letter has caused the company to shut down its operation.

“ATF has held that kits which include all components necessary to produce a functional firearm, including the jig or template used to finish the unfinished frame or receiver, the slide assembly, and the necessary components to complete the frame or receiver are themselves properly classified as firearms under the Gun Control Act,” the letter says.

“Specifically, these kits are a weapon that may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. These kits are firearms under the gun Control Act and have always been firearms pursuant to statute.”

For years, the ATF has provided guidance on the definition of a gun. Those who sell parts such as 80 percent receivers do not need a Federal Firearms License. But the letter shows the ATF has changed its mind and is following the new regulation before it has gone into effect.

Continues...

Back
Top Bottom