Athol, MA Appleseed Feb 7th & 8th

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4568.0

Range: Woodsman Rifle & Pistol Club

Address: 390 Doe Valley Rd, Athol, Ma. 01331

When: Feb 7th & 8th, 2009

Range Fee: $5.00 per shooter, each day Active duty military & Guard free.

Camping available: Yes, primitive. If anyone so desires they are welcome to pitch a tent. RV camping permitted.

Hotels:
The King Phillip Restaurant & Motel
35 State Road, Phillipston, MA 01331, Office : 978-249-6300

Bullard Farm Bed & Breakfast
89 Elm St, Athol, MA‎ - (978) 544-6959‎

Travel Inn
180 Daniel Shays Hwy, Orange, MA‎ - (978) 544-2986‎

Directions: Interactive map on home page of club's website.

GPS Coordinates: Latitude: N42.55838 Longitude: W72.21108

State Laws to be aware of: Massachusetts made the Clinton era AWB permanent. Have a copy of the event flyer and registration as proof of a rifle competition. Don't even think of bringing a handgun into Massachusetts unless you posess a non-resident licence to carry. Check State Laws.

Misc: This is a 25 meter only event, centerfire rifles welcome.
No tracer or incindeary ammo.

Shooter Capacity: We have room for 40 shooters on the firing line.

For more information contact: Crak, Mr Twigg, Dwarven1

Registration Link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/220717171

Quick question. I've never been to one of these other then the basics class Crak put on. Is there any difference between going Saturday or Sunday? Was thinking of going one of the two days. Then again, shooting both days could be fun as well. But I would think it's the same type of thing, just different days, right?

Quick question. I've never been to one of these other then the basics class Crak put on. Is there any difference between going Saturday or Sunday? Was thinking of going one of the two days. Then again, shooting both days could be fun as well. But I would think it's the same type of thing, just different days, right?

We'll be doing some interesting rapid fire drills, one uses the sheet with five 1" squares. Its how you find your natural rapid fire cadence.

You'll be surprised at how much lead you can put downrange in a course of well aimed, accurate fire. [devil]

We'll be doing some interesting rapid fire drills, one uses the sheet with five 1" squares. Its how you find your natural rapid fire cadence.

You'll be surprised at how much lead you can put downrange in a course of well aimed, accurate fire. [devil]

Sounds good. Just signed up for Saturday. Looking forward to it. Now I just need to find my long johns. [smile]

Typically first day starts with the basics and drills them in through the morning. Afternoon moves on to transitioning positions, and rapid fire AQT's. Second day is lots of rounds down range refining the basics with more advanced drills.

If you're only doing one day for your first one, Saturday is the right choice. After that, I think Sunday is the better one day choice. That said, both days is ALWAYS the best.

Saturday, we hammer the basics into you... Sunday, we just hammer you. Typically, we do about 2-300 rounds on Saturday. Sunday? 500+. With the cold weather, though, I'm not sure that we'll get anywhere near that - we'll need to take breaks to warm folks up.

Yes, we're safety weenies like that - I want LIVE Riflemen, not ones with pneumonia.

Saturday, we hammer the basics into you... Sunday, we just hammer you. Typically, we do about 2-300 rounds on Saturday. Sunday? 500+. With the cold weather, though, I'm not sure that we'll get anywhere near that - we'll need to take breaks to warm folks up.

Yes, we're safety weenies like that - I want LIVE Riflemen, not ones with pneumonia.

Dress warmer. Shoot more. [/testosterone]

(I'll probably be the first one asking for a warm up break)

We're taking safety about 1000 times more seriously than usual at this one because of the cold. If it's getting too cold for you, you won't have to ask or wait for the whole group. Just ground the rifle and head into the club house.

Marked on my calendar, hoping I will be able to make this one. Time to start shopping for some good cold weather shooting gloves and some long underwear.

Looking forward to it. Ordered my tech sights earlier this week, got them yesterday, put them on this morning.

Next up... sling.

Try marching in the snow with boots that had holes in them, leaving bloody footprints.

Washington's boys didn't have things like Sorel boots and down parkas. You do.

Seriously, you might want to make a trip beforehand to EMS, REI or Dick's and pick up some cold weather gear. I know I'm going to be shopping for a couple of sets of long johns.

I'm hoping the cold weather gear Uncle Sam issued me will be good enough for the shoot. Layers, layers, layers... My only weak link are my hands. There is a trade off between warmth and mobility. My other thought is to remove my butt plate extension. With all the extra layers on, I am thinking my stock might be too long.

These are all reasons why I wanted to sign up for this Appleseed.

I truely am looking forward to it!

My AR, AK and FAL all are MA-banned configurations and I wouldn't want to neuter them by pulling the FH and pinning a brake on.

I suppose a Mosin Nagant M91/30 would be undesirable at such an event? It's my only MA-legal rifle.

I don't see any Appleseeds in NH/VT/ME in 2009 - do they typically list later?

My AR, AK and FAL all are MA-banned configurations and I wouldn't want to neuter them by pulling the FH and pinning a brake on.

I suppose a Mosin Nagant M91/30 would be undesirable at such an event? It's my only MA-legal rifle.

I don't see any Appleseeds in NH/VT/ME in 2009 - do they typically list later?
We might be able to scrounge up a .22 - 10/22 LTR for you to use, just bring ammo

There are folks who have earned Rifleman statue using a bolt action. I've seen folks do it and I have done it myself.

How are you at loading the M/N with stripper clips ? I have a couple N/M's and cant get the hang of it myself, others can be pretty dang quick about it.

The main Appleseed site is a continuing work in progress. I'm not knocking the folks who run it and in all fairness they do a fine job but you'll find the local Appleseeds are usually posted here first as we have several active instructors here. I'll be getting things going at a faster pace in NH as soon as I complete my move and get into a club or two up there.

We are working on getting Appleseed Shoots going in NH and ME, but we need RANGES. If you know one that would like to host, step up and help us get in there!

I do expect, though, that you'll see more than a few shoots in VT next year - Proctor, Jericho and Shaftsbury/Bennington are all places we've been before and I expect that we'll be there again.

I'm with Pelham Fish & Game Club in NH - if you've not tried there yet, I can see if there's interest.

My Mosin Nagant is only a week old for me (plus 66 years), and I just picked up some stripper clips. I'll give them a try to see if I can load quickly.

I'm with Pelham Fish & Game Club in NH - if you've not tried there yet, I can see if there's interest.

My Mosin Nagant is only a week old for me (plus 66 years), and I just picked up some stripper clips. I'll give them a try to see if I can load quickly.

Have you shot the Mosin yet? You're going to be in serious pain before the day is done! I'd borrow an LTR if I were you.

Good point - I have a black and blue mark where the metal buttplate slipped off my shoulder. My AK felt like a popgun after shooting the Mosin Nagant [laugh]

Good point - I have a black and blue mark where the metal buttplate slipped off my shoulder. My AK felt like a popgun after shooting the Mosin Nagant [laugh]

Seriously though, after hundreds of rounds (and it will be hundreds) you'll have developed a heck of a flinch unless you have an iron shoulder!

Yes, that is a great idea. We have a tradition in Appleseed--if you have a great idea, you get to run with it. So please attend the BOD meeting this Tuesday, Dec. 9th, and make an Appleseed proposal. [wink]

Don't laugh. That's how we do things. That's how I got roped in to being the Appleseed NH State Coordinator! So starting Pelham is now your job. If you take the first step, we will be there to back you up. In fact, if you like, I can be there on Tuesday with all the presentation materials.

So call/email the appropriate person and get us on the agenda for this Tuesday. We don't want to wait until next month, because big clubs like this have big schedules, too. We can do this.

NH RANGE UPDATE

I have two ranges in NH currently in process for Appleseed. One has too small a line (max 10 shooters without rotating, which we try not to do), while the other has a nice long line and 200-500 yard distance.

The range with the small line we will try to schedule for some date later in the season when we have more instructors and also when we have another small line range. Then we can schedule them both on the same weekend to handle potential overflow problems.

The range with the long line (90+ feet) is a good candidate for April 19th.

The best place to get early notification about officially scheduled NH Appleseed events is the New Hampshire child board on the Appleseed forum in their NE Regional board. Here's the link:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=103.0

If you haven't done so already, please register on the Appleseed forum. That's the place to get the all the best info on everything Appleseed.

See you at Athol on Feb. 7th!

John Barnes
Appleseed State Coordinator & IIT
[email protected]
888-221-8628

I just signed up for this Appleseed, now I have to go order all the stuff for my 10/22. I was thinking of using my AK but ammo prices have stopped that. I am looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom