Attn 38 special reloaders

I need 200 38 special cases loaded with primer only for use as blanks in a video. i will pay for your service. Can someone help?

And yes, I understand that you can't stand in front of the gun even with primers only!

Know this about shooting (primers only) in any revolver: You must enlarge the primer flash hole considerably or the primer will cause enough pressure to build in its primer pocket and push the primer back and into the firing pin where it will tie up the rotation of the wheel. This does not occur when the case is loaded with a charge and a bullet because on recoil, the whole case is driven back hard into the frame and this reseats the primer in a nano-second. Without the powder and and bullet, the case stays forward and the primer only goes back. Interenal primer pocket pressure wants to spit the primer.

I have tried this several times and have had to work at getting the gun open as the primer flows around the captured firing pin. You have to experience it to appreciate the pain in the ass it is.

When you open the flash hole, you let enough primer pressure out fast enough to stop the ejection of the primer from the pocket. Do not them reload the opened flash hole cases with a normal load later as this might be more exciting than you think. You could get a load of fast powder to detonate. Maybe.

David: I discovered this while testing the hammer strike strength on various revolvers after having messed with the main springs. I didn't want to travel to a range, so I simply primed cases and had at it in my basement. Large mistake. Guns with firing pins mounted in the frame are the worse offenders. Old model guns with the pin in the hammer are easier to un-stick as you can just thumb the hammer back. The first .030 of an inch of hammer movement pulls the pin loose before the hand starts to move the wheel.

Since I was a kid, I've probably found evey possible way to screw something up with regards to ammo prep or tabletop gunsmithing. Glad to steer you away from this pile of rocks.

I totally agree. My bench brass has the primer pockets drilled out to just under the primer size. Large pistol offend worse than small but the problem is still there.

Back
Top Bottom